Swing meter slow down

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Swing meter slow down

Postby KATHY on Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:22 pm

I have Links 2003. When I play online my swing meter is fine for 3 holes. During the 3rd hole it will slow down to something random between about 61 and 73 % of normal speed on every shot. It's really tough because it changes with each shot. And it's weird because it's always ok for the first few holes. Any ideas would be appreciated. thanks !
KATHY

Postby terrell on Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:27 pm

the ONLY thing that slows down the swing meter is something eating cpu cycles in the background. run task manager, click on processes, and click cpu twice. make note of any programs/dlls/services spiking to around 20 percent or more.

the easiest way to minimize programs running in the background is to perform a clean boot. you can boot your pc with only microsoft programs running.
terrell

Postby whisky on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:05 am

The swing meter will slow down if the CPU overheats and automatically slows processing. I suspect this could be the case if you play three holes and it slows. Check your fans, etc.
Eddie
whisky

Postby terrell on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:39 am

excellent point, eddie. i've read tons of forums where peeps have had trouble cooling cpus and graphics processors. i guess that's a plus for having low end machines, i've never had to worry about using too much power. (8
terrell

Meter Slow Down

Postby Golfman on Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:42 am

Kathy -

I also have to work with this problem! I loose a few strokes every week and go wildly OB when this happens in the middle of a swing. Many of us who don't have a "game quality" dedicated machine have the same problem. The problem is normally the Windows Task Manager which is running background programs, checks, and online comunications like updates, etc. Even if you are able to boot while eliminating many memory resident programs, it can still happen with programs you don't directly control. There is probably a better method, but what I have to do is wait for the speed to change/increase via the following method: "I test the curser before I swing by moving it back and forth and observing the multiple curser images. When the CPU is busy elsewhere, I get fewer multiple images of the curser on the screen per standard L-R curser movement. If the curser image painting is too slow, I hit the Windows key and minimize Links. I then hit CTL-Alt-Delete (all at once) to bring up the Task Manager and look at my CPU activity. If a "svchost.exe" program is runing I can stop it with little or no game impact with "End Process". Other programs can't be stopped, and you just have to wait. When the CPU speed is up again you can swing again.

It would be nice to turn the Task Manager "OFF" for anything other than LINKS and CPU needs while playing, but I don't know how. This would be a nice option upgrade for the next version of LINKS.

A thing that can cause poor game response is too little resident memory, a old slow processor (i.e. under 800 MBS), and/or an outdated video card . You need at least 300+MB ( ie 512MB) minimum memory or you can't run larger Links courses. Dual processors on evrything is nice. I plan to update soon.

Hope this is useful!

Golfman: Randy
May the Golf God's be with you!
Golfman

Postby djwoods10 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:23 am

there could be a lot of dust and dirt biult up in the fan blow it out wih air that might help
just play and have fun - don
djwoods10

Re: Swing meter slow down

Postby Slattery2 on Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:07 am

I am experiencing a fault with the swing meter that I have never had before.
I loaded Links 2003 today for the first time in over 6 months and when I took my swing on the first hole with the 2 click meter, the backswing (going up) was at the normal speed but then when the meter was coming back down it is now going at only half the speed that it always has.
I have the same PC and Windows 10 as I always have.
Very very wierd. Any ideas why?
Slattery2

Re: Swing meter slow down

Postby Slattery2 on Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:23 am

Problem solved. I turned G Sync off and the swing meter has returned to the correct speed.
The latest driver update from Nvidia has disturbed something.
I'll just have to disable G sync everytime I want to play a round of Links 2003.
Annoying but at least I worked it out!
Slattery2

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum