Links 2001 Cannot get online

This forum is talk to about problems you may have with Links 2001. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you have problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Links 2001 Cannot get online

Postby WackerWoods on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:42 am

Recently I had aHDD crash and had to get a new one I am in the process of reconstituting my new HDD. I download patch v1.22 fron and tried to install the unzipped file to Links 2001 but without success. Any suggestions please on how to get back to playing Links 2001 online
WackerWooda
WackerWoods

Re: Links 2001 Cannot get online

Postby Armand on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:55 pm

What was the error message you received when 1.22 didn't install? If you are using Win7, you probably need to run the patch as an administrator, to ensure it writes to the proper directory and not the \Virtual Store directory.
Armand

Postby WackerWoods on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:55 am

Thank you Armand, je vous remercie; but to answer your questions
1 i am using Vista not Windows 7
2. Which Directory/File should I write the patch to
3 Do I use STD patch and/or CEpatch

I would be grateful if you cold advise me
Je vous saurai gré de dites moi

WackerWoods (Godwin Penrhyn-Lowe)
WackerWoods

Postby sonnycul on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:24 am

Download both patches and put them in Links 2001 folder after you have them that folder you might need to have them to run or install, been a while since I messed with 2001 game.
Sonny
Do not argue with an i d i o t. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
sonnycul

Postby Armand on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:15 pm

WW,

Did you ever get Links 2001 running with the 1.22 patch? It makes absolutely no difference where you save the files when you download them. It only matter where they "point" when you run the patch. Typically, the patch will look into your registry to determine where the game is installed and the patch will attempt to overwrite (i.e., patch) the files in that directory. However, Vista (and Win7) have added security that didn't normally exist in WinXP. That additional security prevents users from changing files in the "\Program Files" directory. Instead of writing the files into "\Program Files", they write the files into the "\Virtual Store" directory, which is tucked away in an inconspicuous location.

You can "bypass" this additional security by running (trusted) EXE files with "Elevated Administrative Privileges". While it sounds a bit ominous, it's really not. All you need to do, is right-click on the EXE file for the patch, select "Properties", switch to the "Compatibility" tab and then check the box that says "Run as Administrator". Then, when you double-click on the patch EXE, it should start and write the files to the correct directory (usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Links\Links 2001\, or whatever directory you installed the game in). Make sure when you run the patch, that it points to the same directory where the game is installed.

As to which version you require, it may depend on the version of the game you have installed. CE is the "Championship Edition" of Links 2001 and, to be honest, I don't know how/if that is different from the regular version. As per the instructions on http://www.linkscountryclub.com/links-2001-updates, you will need to be running v1.21 before installing v1.22 as well. So, first download and install the 1.21 patch (from the bottom of the page) and then install the 1.22 version. Use the method described above to install both patches (in order) with elevated administrative privileges. I usually start the game after each patch and check to ensure that the patch was properly installed by checking "About" in the menus within the game.

Let us know if this has helped and if you've been able to get the game installed and running.

Armand
Armand

Postby WackerWoods on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:48 am

Thank you Armand for your message of July2nd. I will look into it and let you know the result.

I have just returned from The John Radcliffe Oxford University hospital after a serious eye operation and have been confined to a Johnny Depp eye patch. But as soon as possible I will have a go of implementing your suggestion
Regards
WackerWoods
WackerWoods

Postby WackerWoods on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:55 am

Hi Armand
Tried your suggestion but no success When trying to log on to game server ERROR Msg recd "Error occurred when trying to communicate with game server.Please check internet connection and try again, Server Error 0 CODE 15"
Any other suggesions Internet connection OK- just played Links 2003 and logged on here so I cannot see the problem
WackerWoods
WackerWoods

Postby terrell on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:25 pm

hmmmm, ok, how about copying/pasting your links version, e.g.:

links version.jpg

and i think the guys familiar with 2k1 will be better able to help. (8
terrell

Postby fescue on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:27 pm

version.JPG
why the difference T??
version.JPG (53.16 KB) Viewed 95696 times
fescue

Postby terrell on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:43 pm

ah, i've been stepping into a future timeline where there's a new version of links 2003. i just discovered today howto pull the jpeg through the event horizon to display it for you. (8
terrell

Postby Armand on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:02 pm

WW,

I am not certain what server that Links 2001, v1.22 uses to communicate with the "Links Tour", but I'm guessing it's the old one (probably http://www.linkstour.com). For Links 2003, there is a patch which automatically changes/updates that server in your registry, but I am guessing this may not be included in 1.22 for Links 2001. However, you can manually change the registry setting yourself.

Follow these steps to make the change:
    1. Click START, type REGEDIT and then press ENTER
    2. Nagivate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Links 2001\LinksTour**
    3. Double-click the SERVER key (line) in the right-hand pane.
    4. Replace the existing contents with www.lspn.net.
    5. Close the registry editor and start Links 2001.
    **Note that I have guessed at the registry path. If this isn't correct, you can browse through the registry entries under \Software and/or \Microsoft to locate the appropriate path for Links 2001 and the LinksTour server.
This should allow you to connect to the Links Tour server.
Armand

Postby WackerWoods on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:12 am

From WackerWoods

I am deeply indebted to you, Armand and terrell for your suggestions; But hurrah I have managed to solve my problem.
Started Links2001 went to Options > About screen read Version 1.22 Build 01.16.07.2501 and Product ID and CLICKED OK

Voila I am able to log-on to the Server. Thanks fellas- merci beacoup et gracie tanto(thanks a bunch)
WackerWoods
WackerWoods

Postby rwoodworkr on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:36 am

terrell wrote:ah, i've been stepping into a future timeline where there's a new version of links 2003. i just discovered today howto pull the jpeg through the event horizon to display it for you. (8

Who wins the 2012 Olympic decathlon?
Catchy phrase goes here.
rwoodworkr

Return to Links 2001 Technical Forum