windows 7

This forum is talk to about problems you may have with Links 2001. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you have problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

windows 7

Postby tourneyels on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:05 am

hello, i was just reading some of the entries and i noticed that there was some `trouble` with the nvidia card and windows 7. i was just about to download windows 7 so i could upgrade my video card. really i don`t know what i`m doing. i just wanted to speed up play, increase graphics(did i mention i don`t know what i`m doing), you know, basically tinker with the performance. can i use windows 7? can i upgrade my card? is there something else i should do? i have windows vista and a nvidia graphics card. it works fine right now but as a golfer i can not leave well enough alone, lol, so does anyone have any thoughts for a layman? ty
tourneyels

Re: windows 7

Postby Obelix on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:34 am

There is an old saying from my days as a tech rep, if it is not broke, don't fix it
If it works well with vista, I would say hang on a bit more, until something gets resolved with drivers.
When you do go to win 7, consider which one. I would go for the 32 bit version unless you really need 64 bit for applications that you absolutely need.
And between all versions, go for the PRO version. Pro and higher will let you have a virtual PC whitin windows and run that virtual PC as if you had win XP Pro.So apps that fail under win & can be run in that mode.

Take Care, and good luck

Robert
Obelix

Postby gibby on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:10 am

Just to add, your playing Links 2001, most of the issuses are with Links 2003/nvidia/Win 7. would have to think you would have just as many issues with 2001. As Robert says stick with what you got.
Common sense and common courtesy two things this world needs more of.
gibby

Postby tourneyels on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:00 am

hi guys thanx for the info. btw i am playing 2003 v1.07. but, from what you say, obelisk, sounds like there really are some glitches in the win 7 system? is that the drivers then? i think i read that. well as they say, if it`s fixed don`t broke it!(lol) but i am curious as to what`s going on with the win 7 system as i`m going to upgrade eventually. won`t we all? and what are the problems exactly? what can be done? well, obelisk, i`m sure you or some one of the same caliber as you will explain this in a language i`ll struggle or fail to comprehend(lol) but i appreciate the information. cheers
tourneyels

Postby tourneyels on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:10 am

hi just realized i`m posting in the 2001 forum (lol) that would explain your comment gibbs. i couldn`t figure out how you knew what my system was, ha
tourneyels

Postby Obelix on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:28 am

Hi,
Will try to explain it simply. Nothing wrong with win 7, it is windows, it's Microsoft. First thing to consider, is 32 bit versus 64 bit version. Do you really need 64 bit, do you have applications that require 64 bit. If not then go with the 32 bit version.
Now on to Links. The problem is about which videocard works best with Links under Win 7. So far the ATI cards come out in front. NVIDIA card do have some issues.
Perhaps down the road, either Microsoft or NVIDIA will make some correction and solve the problem. If I were you, I would hold on a bit before upgrading your windows. See if any of the issues get solved.
And yes the bulk of the problem is about drivers for the video hardware. It is a bit of a pain, changing drivers in windows, or should I say replacing a driver. Drivers are not always that easy to remove and replace. You might need an application to help clean out old drivers.
To sum it up, what works well with Links 2003 is Win 7 with an ATI videocard, preferably in the 4000 series, I think... :roll:

Robert
Obelix

Postby terrell on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:58 am

pm'd mark. |8
terrell

Postby rwoodworkr on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:34 am

Seeing this reminded me that I miss Robert. I used to play head to head with him with a Skype audio hookup. He was quite an interesting person, very intelligent, and had some great stories about his varied life experiences.
Catchy phrase goes here.
rwoodworkr

Postby terrell on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:30 am

ditto, rick. robert is missed.
terrell

Return to Links 2001 Technical Forum