New Messages Problem

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

New Messages Problem

Postby FixAmer1st on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:39 am

I am new here to this Forum and always use the View New Posts Since Last Visit link to see what has transpired since I was lat here.

However, when I click on the new message icon of the Threads List and then try to go back to the new message list by clicking the back button of my browser (IE 7.0) it tells me that I can not make a search so soon and I have to go back manually to the Main Forum page and do a New Thread search all over again to continue on reading.

Not unbearable but it doesn't happen on any of the other forums I attend and should not here either.

Can anybody help? Or am I doing something wrong?

Jerry (FixAmer1st)
FixAmer1st

Postby terrell on Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:12 pm

you're not doing anything wrong, jerry, it's just the way mark has the search function for the forum configured. just give the 'view new posts' a few more seconds and it will work for you. i do the exact same thing (probably why you never see me answering old posts). (8
terrell

Postby FixAmer1st on Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:50 pm

Thanks terrell but the New Posts search works great. It is just after I get there and go to a new post by clicking on the new post icon in front of the thread listed and am finished reading it, I can not go back to the search page again with my browser back button and I get that error message instead as if I am doing a new search.

I have to go back to the Main Forum page and do another search to continue on reading the New Posts.

Jerry.
FixAmer1st

Postby terrell on Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:01 pm

hmmm, that's very odd. i always read the thread, then hit the go back to previous page (same thing as clicking the 'back' button on your browser) button on my mouse. sounds like for whatever reason, your browser isn't caching the webpages.

i'll assume you're using internet explorer (opera person myself)? i'll hafta give this some thought as to why you're not caching pages. if anyone else has any good ideas, fire away.
terrell

Postby FixAmer1st on Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:16 pm

I have to agree that it is strange.

This board is a phpBB like most of the others including our KISS Tours one and they all work just fine. Not here though. :(

Must be a setting that Mark has set here that is causing the problem for me somehow. :?:

Addendum: It seems to be time related as the error message says. If I linger on the new thread post and then try to go back it seems to work correctly. It's just when I go read the new post quickly and immediately try to go back that I get the error message.

I'll just have to become a lurker I guess. :D :roll: :D

Jerry
My apologies for plagiarizing Mel Brooks but "It’s GOOD to Play Links!"
FixAmer1st

Postby terrell on Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:15 pm

very interesting. i just logged into these forums with ie7, displayed new threads, then immediately tried to go back. but i get the 'can't search again so soon' thing. but if i linger for a coupla seconds, then refresh, the thread list is displayed. i can hit 'back' instantly with opera and i never get that message. it's like ie7 wants to refresh the page no matter what.

definitely a forum thing. dunno if it's something mark wants to address right away since it's a minor inconvenience. or maybe he has it that way for a purpose.
terrell

Postby FixAmer1st on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:59 pm

terrell wrote:very interesting. i just logged into these forums with ie7, displayed new threads, then immediately tried to go back. but i get the 'can't search again so soon' thing. but if i linger for a coupla seconds, then refresh, the thread list is displayed. i can hit 'back' instantly with opera and i never get that message. it's like ie7 wants to refresh the page no matter what.

definitely a forum thing. dunno if it's something mark wants to address right away since it's a minor inconvenience. or maybe he has it that way for a purpose.

Yep. That's what I am experiencing.

As you say, now that I know why, I can linger and it does not happen. Mark has much more pressing tasks to attend to and this is not one of them. :D

Jerry
FixAmer1st

Postby Armand on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:51 pm

Jerry/terrell,

I use my "thumb button" on my mouse to go back to the new post listing for a few of the new posts. Periodically, I'll click back on the "new posts" to refresh everything (and to help me keep track of what I've read!).

Armand
Armand

Postby Roughrider on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:33 pm

I get that exact same problem at my home site for email with the new internet browser.
RR
Roughrider

Postby FixAmer1st on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:43 pm

Armand wrote:Jerry/terrell,

I use my "thumb button" on my mouse to go back to the new post listing for a few of the new posts. Periodically, I'll click back on the "new posts" to refresh everything (and to help me keep track of what I've read!).

Armand

You CAN teach an old dog new tricks Armand. I have a mouse with those side buttons but never knew what they did. I just clicked on it and my browser went right back a page just as the back button in the browser does.

Maybe this will fix my problem. We'll see.

Thanks,
Jerry
FixAmer1st

Postby terrell on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:47 am

FixAmer1st wrote:Maybe this will fix my problem.

no, sorry. hitting the back button on the mouse is exactly the same as the back button on the browser.

if you're really ready to make that mouse work for you, you should start using mouse gestures. i'm not sure if it's possible with ie, but opera works great. and if ya really wanna get spooky scifi, you should try the voice commands.
terrell

Postby Armand on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:25 pm

terrell wrote:if you're really ready to make that mouse work for you, you should start using mouse gestures. i'm not sure if it's possible with ie, but opera works great. and if ya really wanna get spooky scifi, you should try the voice commands.

I haven't really played with mouse gestures much (and I'm not sure they are available in Firefox), but given my PS swing, I best steer clear of mouse gestures! :lol:

Armand
Armand

Postby terrell on Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:34 pm

Armand wrote:I haven't really played with mouse gestures much (and I'm not sure they are available in Firefox), but given my PS swing, I best steer clear of mouse gestures! :lol:

lol, i hadn't thought of that one. good point.
terrell

Return to Talk About It