Just a suggestion

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Just a suggestion

Postby FDS_Catherine on Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:12 am

We need something put in place, so that when a spammer comes into the forum and posts p o r n, we the members can delete said post. Rather than having to wait for a moderator or admin to pop in and see the thread.

Not that I have nothing against p o r n, but any young person who may be looking at the site would get quite a shock.

How about if we can impliment a structure, whereby if there is a thread that is created by a spammer, it can be deleted by two members. ( Yes I understand that this could lead to problems, like anyone could get rid of a thread. But to be honest, we need something put in place to stop this from happening. )

Just my opinion.

And finally, I have a great way of getting rid of spammers, which I used to use on the Steam Forum, but it might be classed as illegal. But they deserve it.
FDS_Catherine

Re: Just a suggestion

Postby terrell on Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:40 am

FDS_Catherine wrote:And finally, I have a great way of getting rid of spammers, which I used to use on the Steam Forum, but it might be classed as illegal. But they deserve it.

that certainly piques my interest. details?

i would certainly not give members here carte blanche to delete posts/threads. mostly because there's a huge chasm between the sensitivities of our members. what might cause some to gasp, i think is humorous. what some think as insulting, i think is humorous. (8 true, we have a responsibility to protect children from being drawn into clicking salacious material, but the little buggers gotta learn sometime (there's a lot of bad stuff in the world, ya can't insulate them from everything). and besides, it's adults that perpetuate the problem, kids aren't nearly as gullible.

i think the solution is for mark to keep working on antispam solutions. ya keep tweaking the filters until spam is minimal. and i have every confidence bruce will be responsive where humanly possible.
terrell

Postby FDS_Catherine on Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:52 am

I entirely agree with you terrell. Maybe giving the members free reign so-to-speak would be disasterous. Getting back on topic tho.

I'll just state this clear now for the record.

No matter what filters you impose, there will always be a way round posting what you want. Providing you know how.

Now maybe the last few spammers might have only been script kiddies, but I have a feeling that it is the same person. There are similarities in the posts which leads me to suspect it is the same person.

Now there are a few ways to get rid of this problem. Both are not that hard to impliment. But unfortunatley I will not disclose to anyone how this works. If it were me, I would go the illegal route, not pretty, but it gets the job done. and it also deters the spammer/script kiddie from attempting the same again. as it shows them there are more knoweldgeable people on this planet than them.
FDS_Catherine

not a choice i can make...

Postby Bruce Bo on Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:40 pm

about who else would have access to delete spam, but i am online at least once an hour from 8a-10p.. on most days.

if a new spam shows up, please feel free to email me! i may not get to it instantly, but it would be quicker than what it is now.
Bruce Bo
Forum Moderator

LinksOnlineLeague Admin
Bruce Bo
Site Admin

Re: not a choice i can make...

Postby tryandtyoneon on Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:05 pm

BruceBo wrote:about who else would have access to delete spam, but i am online at least once an hour from 8a-10p.. on most days.

if a new spam shows up, please feel free to email me! i may not get to it instantly, but it would be quicker than what it is now.

Can I put my hat in for the third moderator??.....I'm here 24/7.........Get along with most............and T and I are like brothers
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby terrell on Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:35 pm

tryandtyoneon wrote:Can I put my hat in for the third moderator??.....I'm here 24/7.........Get along with most............and T and I are like brothers

rule number one. don't be taking a big swig of water while reading that line. i just drenched the monitor and keyboard.

murray, you certainly have my vote, for whatever that's worth. but if'n you're lookin' for a popularity contest, you'd better think about distancing yourself from the t man. (8

edit: oh yeah, and i meant to ask bruce, do you mean pm or email email?
terrell

Postby Bruce Bo on Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:43 pm

terrell wrote:
tryandtyoneon wrote:Can I put my hat in for the third moderator??.....I'm here 24/7.........Get along with most............and T and I are like brothers

rule number one. don't be taking a big swig of water while reading that line. i just drenched the monitor and keyboard.

murray, you certainly have my vote, for whatever that's worth. but if'n you're lookin' for a popularity contest, you'd better think about distancing yourself from the t man. (8

edit: oh yeah, and i meant to ask bruce, do you mean pm or email email?

either.. when you email me here.. i get notified at my addy
to make clear what i said above, i do not have control of who the moderators are or will be.
Mark asked me.... i couldnt 'give' control to anyone even if i approved of them~
Bruce Bo
Forum Moderator

LinksOnlineLeague Admin
Bruce Bo
Site Admin

Postby grim_x on Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:33 am

Gotta hate liquid spewing outta the nose eh T.
grim_x

Postby terrell on Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:46 am

grim_x wrote:Gotta hate liquid spewing outta the nose eh T.

not a comfortable experience. apparently there's nothing wrong with the sinuses. i had water shooting out my ears!

edit: don't get me wrong. i think murray would make a great moderator. i just very seldom have people using me as a reference.
terrell

Re: not a choice i can make...

Postby HTP_ErnieB on Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:11 am

Be very careful what you ask for Murray. I'll put in a good word to Mark on your behalf if you're serious.Image

It would be an excellent opportunity for you to see how things can be on the other side of the fence, and I am confident you would soon have an intimate insight as to the meaning of the phrase "what goes around, comes around".

It's infinitely more fun being a p00p slinging primate than is to be the zookeeper that has to shovel it up.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
HTP_ErnieB

Postby Crissy on Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:19 am

Just leave BruceBo be he does just fine by him self. No offense but I would rather have S-a-d-d-a-m as a moderator then tryandtyoneon had they not h-u-n-g him. lol Now terrell I could live with, he has spunk. lol

Crissy
Crissy

Postby tryandtyoneon on Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:56 am

terrell wrote:
grim_x wrote:Gotta hate liquid spewing outta the nose eh T.

not a comfortable experience. apparently there's nothing wrong with the sinuses. i had water shooting out my ears!

edit: don't get me wrong. i think murray would make a great moderator. i just very seldom have people using me as a reference.

LOL....sorry T....Was just trying to get across to peeps the joking side of me...The "get along with most" was covering what ErnieB might come up with...Speaking of losing it while reading.....

Thx Ernie..I was thinking.... who better to help with spammers than someone that treats this forum like oxygen. Kinda hard to get my 11 yr. old into this when I have to make sure he can't stumble upon the forum......Some of them lately have been pretty bad.

Don't need the kid saying..."Mom, I know why daddys on the computer so much!"....The last thing she needs is more ammo for that arguement
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby KCJammer on Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:31 am

tryandtyoneon wrote:Don't need the kid saying..."Mom, I know why daddys on the computer so much!"....The last thing she needs is more ammo for that arguement

I think I can help you out here Murray.

I have one of these installed both here at home and at the office.

When you're wasting time or maybe looking at something you shouldn't be looking at, and you hear the boss/wife/kids coming ... just click the
Image :lol:

Go ahead! Give it a try!
KCJammer

Postby HTP_ErnieB on Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:51 am

tryandtyoneon wrote:LOL....sorry T....Was just trying to get across to peeps the joking side of me...The "get along with most" was covering what ErnieB might come up with...Speaking of losing it while reading.....

Your intuitiveness/deductive skills leave much to be desired. :roll:

tryandtyoneon wrote:Thx Ernie..I was thinking.... who better to help with spammers than someone that treats this forum like oxygen. Kinda hard to get my 11 yr. old into this when I have to make sure he can't stumble upon the forum......Some of them lately have been pretty bad.

I agree 100%. The milquetoast moderating techniques currently being employed also leave much to be desired. I mean, what's the point of just deleting the opening offending post when the entire thread should be deleted? Why preface required actions with an apologetic disclaimer before doing almost nothing anyway? I am serious about supporting you to be a mod because I know from experience you'd deal with current situations with more vim and vigor than the current crew. I am equally serious when I stated it's less fun to be a zookeeper, I think you already know that. :wink:
HTP_ErnieB

Postby Bruce Bo on Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:11 am

HTP_ErnieB wrote:I agree 100%. The milquetoast moderating techniques currently being employed also leave much to be desired. I mean, what's the point of just deleting the opening offending post when the entire thread should be deleted? Why preface required actions with an apologetic disclaimer before doing almost nothing anyway? I am serious about supporting you to be a mod because I know from experience you'd deal with current situations with more vim and vigor than the current crew. I am equally serious when I stated it's less fun to be a zookeeper, I think you already know that. :wink:

wow Ernie.. i didnt know i was so below your expectations :(
milquestoast no less.... here i thought i was just trying to keep things running smooth~

much to be desired? well if that's the general feeling (thanks to Crissy for the support) i'll be the first to step forward and offer my resignation to Mark...and let someone else tend the 'zoo' :)

whats the point of deleting JUST the offending link? in mind many follow up comments have been enjoyably humoress, or instructive or educational for additional reference as to solutions.

"prefacing with apologies" is all about keeping people informed. i dont care for heavy handed dictator type decisions, so i like people to know where i'm coming from and besides this is YOUR board, i'm just here to delete the offensive posts.. and have everyone aimed in the same positive direction.

'more vim and vigor'.. you mean like explaning more? telling people why you are locking a thread? or do you mean just deleting/locking without any explanation in a more aggressive fashion. i'm not sure i understand how more vim/vigor can be applied to a role that i view more as an umpire in a game... you know, they are best doing their job when you dont know they're there.

but as i said, if that's not good enough, or if someone thinks they can do better, hey my horse isnt' so high to climb down from :)

be happy to step aside~
let me know?
Bruce Bo
Forum Moderator

LinksOnlineLeague Admin
Bruce Bo
Site Admin

Next

Return to Talk About It