Wack N Hack Elite Open 1

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Wack N Hack Elite Open 1

Postby KCJammer on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:24 pm

A comment and a question ...

Round 2 at The Belfry was a real struggle for me due to the absence of hole previews. Missing the snap 9 out of 10 times didn't exactly make it a walk in the park, but I had a helluva time figuring out where to aim without yardage markers as a guide. I think hole previews should be a prerequisite in Elite tourneys.

I was able to use the grid within the green analyzer and that was somewhat of a help. But other times that I've played Elite, I'm pretty sure I was able to use the pin within the GA. Is that a feature that the tournament creator can choose to allow or exclude? Or is that always disabled in elite play?
KCJammer

Postby canuck on Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:19 pm

try using the top view as a hole preview. also the belfry is one of those courses that is just plain tough for elite, aiming from the tee that is.
watch out in round 3 at Brydstone golf club, its gonna eat your lunch if your not carefull. :shock:
the BLI can be used within the GA with any skill level, if thats what your asking.
check your elite player so that BLI is enabled.
chris
canuck

Postby KCJammer on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:05 am

canuck wrote:try using the top view as a hole preview. also the belfry is one of those courses that is just plain tough for elite, aiming from the tee that is.

Yeah, that's what I had to do. But without those distance markers, it was a crapshoot on many holes. The few times I did hit the snap, I overdrove the fairway.

canuck wrote: watch out in round 3 at Brydstone golf club, its gonna eat your lunch if your not carefull. :shock:

Yep, I took note of Terrell's 84 and a few other scores in the 80's. I was hoping I could pick up a few strokes on him :wink: at Brydestone ... now I'm not so sure.

canuck wrote:the BLI can be used within the GA with any skill level, if thats what your asking.
check your elite player so that BLI is enabled.

My fault. What I meant to say was that I wasn't able to plant my aiming marker within the green analyzer, then have it appear in the same place when I went to putt. In the past, when I've played Elite, I am pretty sure I could do that. I'm not talking about the BLI -- I did use that. I'm referring to the aiming marker -- it would appear within the green analyzer, but I couldn't set it (plant it) at any particular point within the green analyzer and then have it be at that same spot on the green when I went to putt.
KCJammer

Postby terrell on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:21 am

KCJammer wrote:
canuck wrote: watch out in round 3 at Brydstone golf club, its gonna eat your lunch if your not carefull. :shock:

Yep, I took note of Terrell's 84 and a few other scores in the 80's. I was hoping I could pick up a few strokes on him :wink: at Brydestone ... now I'm not so sure.

wow, kc, thanks, i'm honored. and i'll be pulling for you. yes, on half the holes at brydestone, i had no clue what direction or what distance to hit. but i've played brydestone enough i knew better than to attempt some shots that cost me big time. i went for a coupla home runs rather than playing smart. you'll do fine.
terrell

An " ACE " at Castle Pines

Postby B118C on Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:08 pm

On a good note today, I got an " ACE " on the 173 yd par 3, # 4, at Castle Pines in round 4 of the Wack N Hack elite Open. It helped not having an breeze or wind to deal with, but I nailed the shot, which played downhill, so I moved the ball up 3 in my stance, and it landed a foot in front of the hole, bounced past it and then spun back about 3 ft straight into the cup. :D

On the flip side, after getting to 7 under par, I came to the par 4, 18th, and missed the accuracy line a full dot to the left, pulling my tee shot well into the woods. When I came out, I found a fairway bunker, which is a bad place to be in the elite level. I ended up with a double bogie 6 on the final hole to shoot a 5 under 67. As in real golf, it's more fun to at least par the last hole than to walk off the 18th with a very sour taste in the mouth from nasty double. :oops: Brings out the Grrrrrrrrr in me. :evil:

KC, there are definitely a few holes on Brydestone that I found using a 4 wood & 5 wood off the tee definitely helped me find the widest part of the fairways. But I still got into trouble on a couple holes on the back 9 with the missed snaps like I had today on 18 at Castle Pines. Missing the accuracy line completely either side at the elite level is disaster. Good luck the rest of the way out. :)
Bill
B118C

Postby KCJammer on Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:27 pm

Thanks Bill and congrats on that ace at Castle Pines.

Just finished up at Brydestone and for a while there, I actually thought I might break 80. Carded a 38 on the front only to completely implode on the back. One errant shot led to another and another and ...

38 - 43 - 81

How about these numbers:
Drives in fairway - 3
Greens in regulation - 5
Putts - 26

I have to confess I went out on the course beforehand in Champ level and took a few notes as to where to aim my tee shots. But that only works if the breeze is blowing in the same direction, if you can actually find the spot on the fairway you're looking for, if you come reasonably close to hitting the snap, minor details like that, lol.

Happiness is seeing Brydestone in my rearview mirror. :lol:
KCJammer

Postby B118C on Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:55 pm

Thanks, KC.

Don't blame you on taking the notes, especially before playing Brydestone. It's a tricky layout for sure. I had never played it til now. I just downloaded it a few days ago so I could play in this tourney. Then, as I always do, I took notes or as I like to call it, "mapped" out the course on tee shots at champ level so I would have an idea and a strategy going in to playing it. But, as you said, then there are the other "little" factors, like the direction of the breeze and trying not to miss that accuracy line too much. Just little things..... :wink:
Bill
B118C

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:00 pm

I wouldn't have expected The Belfry to be a problem for aiming off the T except for the odd hole ( 17 comes to mind) as there is usually something visible from the T that u can identify in the overhead view to give a good guide. Yes if you have never played it before the distances can be tricky but then its possible to estimate reasonably well and take the safe option to drop short of trouble ( thats the way I usually play 8 and 11 I think)
As for Brydestone , well from memory thats another story! Keeping out of real trouble there even with a set of notes is nearly impossible. Castle Pines shouldn't be too bad from the T but the second shots and putting are a great challenge.
RoyHiggi

Postby B118C on Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:39 pm

Glad to see you back, Roy. Nice pair of 60s at Barton and the Belfry. The layoff didn't seem to hurt you. :wink: Good luck at Brydestone and Castle Pines. :)
Bill
B118C

Postby RoyHiggi on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:02 pm

That was fun :D I think I did well with fways at Brydestone considering but bad shots were punished and breaking par was an achievement.

I see Bobby has started to play the tourney now so I had better have a good round at Castle ( yeah right :lol: ) to try to hold him off after his great first round. Hi Bob hope all is well with you and yours.
RoyHiggi

Postby bogey0 on Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:16 am

Hiyas Roy,

great to see you back on top of the leaderboards where you belong m8. Yes, all is well on my side of the pond as I trust it is for you also. Still spending way too much time on the road, so finding the time to finish will be a challenge. Solid tourney for a blind man with no snap...lol. Hope to hook up soon Roy.

cheers,

Bobby
bogey0

Return to Talk About It