OK, Blast Me If You Will

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

OK, Blast Me If You Will

Postby Modman1 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:33 pm

I understand Mark is doing us a big favor by doing all of this. I just don't understand why we get so few updates and are told something will start on a date and it doesn't. Blah Blah Blah...Mark is not getting paid and we all appreciate what he is doing but isn't this getting close to dangling the carrot in front of the rabbit. Believe me this is not easy to write because I know I will get blasted but as a dedicated 20 plus year supporter of links I feel I have some rights. Just give us a timeline...even if it is six months...and stick with it.
We never have time to do it right, but we always find time to do it over.
Modman1

Postby Belmont on Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:09 pm

Agree with you 100%.
Belmont

Postby DennisHarris on Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:34 pm

I think there is a misunderstanding here by AlanR. I am not aware of the new tour starting now or in the past few days. I think Mark is close to running a test LSPN tour at a separate location to work out any bugs that may appear before he goes live with the LSPN Tour. Below is the most recent post of news from Mark on 23 December 2006. He also says in about two weeks. See the underlined sentence below.

lstouradmin wrote:Hi all,

Sorry I've been away so long. I've been busy working on stuff. Here's what's been done and what to expect on a new test site in about 2 weeks.
- Scoring system has been reworked and should be more stable
- Added British Stableford play mode
- Added Spanish Stableford play mode
- Added support for teams in scoring system
- All stats work is complete
- Keep stats for each event
- keep stats for each tour
- keep stats for each season
- keep stats for a player's life time
- compute and display all of these stats
- Added clubhouse support
- ability to create a clubhouse
- ability to create seasons in a clubhouse
- ability to create tours in a season
- ability to create events in a tour in a clubhouse

A note about stats - tour, season, and lifetime stats are not stored when a player competes in an event unless the player finishes it. A future sportsmanship rating will be created to handle players who don't finish events. That rating will be able to be used when setting up events, allow players to join a clubhouse, or a team. Again, this is a future feature. Also, stats are kept per clubhouse with the exception of lifetime stats. So, all event, tour and season stats are part of whichever clubhouse you might be playing in. Lifetime stats are a culmination of all finished event rounds you play on the LSPN in general.

A note about clubhouses and teams - The LSPN is going to be made up of clubhouses. Clubhouses are used to run your own tour and are not teams. The Arcade is a separate section of the LSPN Clubhouse where anyone can create an event - as we do now. The LSPN itself is a clubhouse and is considered the main Official clubhouse. You can belong to one player run clubhouse and the LSPN clubhouse at the same time. You can be a member of two teams at any time. One team in the LSPN clubhouse and one team in a player run clubhouse. You can only own one clubhouse.

If you own a clubhouse you'll be able to create your own seasons, tours, and events for your clubhouse schedule. You can also assign administrator titles to your members so they can do some of the work for you. For instance, hire a recruiter to invite and approve memberships. Make a member a Tour Administrator to run events, etc.

And a final note, all of these changes will appear on a new test site before moving them to the live site. That will give us a chance to test things without breaking the current system.
Any way, just wanted to check it and give you an idea of what I've been working on.

Mark

I think we all need to be patient (easier said than done) and everything will fall into place in the very near future. Based on Marks post I think we are very close.
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby Modman1 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:03 pm

I think we all need to be patient (easier said than done) and everything will fall into place in the near future.

Heard that many times....believe me I have been one of the biggest supporters but c'mon..this isn't getting just a little old? If someone knows so many are depending on them getting something done wouldn't they make sure it got it accomplished. When Mark stated he had another person helping him I thought..OK..he understands we need to get this finished but again delay after delay with updates and answers only coming at rare moments. Where is David Cass? We hear from him when he decides he wants to communicate. Feel I am being teased here and really starting to resent it. Blast me all you want but I say enough is enough let's get this finished and going like we were promised months ago.
Modman1

Postby AZWilly on Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:37 pm

just thinking of where we were about a year ago, and suddenly got a case of deja vu all over again...a lot has happened, and will continue to occur. Keep the faith :D
patience is a virtue few possess
AZWilly

Postby Bruce Bo on Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:54 pm

AlanR59 wrote:I think we all need to be patient (easier said than done) and everything will fall into place in the near future.

Heard that many times....believe me I have been one of the biggest supporters but c'mon..this isn't getting just a little old? If someone knows so many are depending on them getting something done wouldn't they make sure it got it accomplished. When Mark stated he had another person helping him I thought..OK..he understands we need to get this finished but again delay after delay with updates and answers only coming at rare moments. Where is David Cass? We hear from him when he decides he wants to communicate. Feel I am being teased here and really starting to resent it. Blast me all you want but I say enough is enough let's get this finished and going like we were promised months ago.

1st understand i'm only a moderator here.. but i think as a Linkster i am also allowed personal feelings on the subject, and in that vein am replying. i have no more info than you do, if i did i wouldnt release it unless i was told it was ok - but i can say i dont know anything :)

let me just present a 'what-if' to you, and i'll slide back to occaisional moderation...
what if Mark thought it was ready to release, and put it up right now, today.. with out the checking process?
i'll tell you what.. it works for the most part.. and alot of people are happy, its playable.. then a couple report a problem when they play a certain type of game or course, or the scoring is corrupted if you play thru a certain provider,.. or any number of similar small but serious to us stat junkies.. that it causes a shutdown of the site - even temporairily - and all stats will need to be reset Again... can you imagine the howling and threats and complaints that brew up from that? of course~ so why not continue playing the practice and arcade tours.. Mark has been up front with his scheduling.. and if you want weekly updates, that say .. "its not ready yet", well that isnt going to satisfy anyone.

you claim to be one of the 'biggest supporters' - if that were true i wouldnt think some patience for the final product would get old or have a limit. granted.. this is coming from a guy that waited 2 years for his true love (wife) to find him :) but i'm trying to put it in perspective.

no one is being teased. David Cass is around i'm sure, but if you want to ask him, i think his email addy is avail to all of us. why does posting your disastifaction here have you believe it will make anything happen quicker? only when you want to communicate? doenst Dave have the same rights? what do you want him to say?

i'm not writing to blast you.. only say deep down we're all anxious to get online and stat compilation going again, but none of us here can do anything about it, except show patience and good humor while waiting~

last..you say 'we were promised months ago'.... i must have missed that 'promise'. i think efforts were being made, and mileposts that were passed have been posted, but no promise that i recall.. but i could have missed it.

remember LSTOUR? remember the switch? when that site was running on auto pilot? we thought THIS site was never going to happen.....

it will and when it does, i hope you be first in line to thank Mark for all his tireless efforts. personally not knowing whats involved makes me feel a little helpless, but rather than complain, i'd be asking - what can i do to help?

keep in mind this is coming from a fellow player and Tour poster.. i am not replying in any 'officail spokesperson' sense... if i had any sense, i probably wouldnt' have posted :P

bruce
Bruce Bo
Site Admin

Postby tryandtyoneon on Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:19 pm

BruceBo wrote:
AlanR59 wrote:I think we all need to be patient (easier said than done) and everything will fall into place in the near future.

1st understand i'm only a moderator here.. but i think as a Linkster i am also allowed personal feelings on the subject, and in that vein am replying. i have no more info than you do, if i did i wouldnt release it unless i was told it was ok - but i can say i dont know anything :)

let me just present a 'what-if' to you, and i'll slide back to occaisional moderation...
what if Mark thought it was ready to release, and put it up right now, today.. with out the checking process?
i'll tell you what.. it works for the most part.. and alot of people are happy, its playable.. then a couple report a problem when they play a certain type of game or course, or the scoring is corrupted if you play thru a certain provider,.. or any number of similar small but serious to us stat junkies.. that it causes a shutdown of the site - even temporairily - and all stats will need to be reset Again... can you imagine the howling and threats and complaints that brew up from that? of course~ so why not continue playing the practice and arcade tours.. Mark has been up front with his scheduling.. and if you want weekly updates, that say .. "its not ready yet", well that isnt going to satisfy anyone.

you claim to be one of the 'biggest supporters' - if that were true i wouldnt think some patience for the final product would get old or have a limit. granted.. this is coming from a guy that waited 2 years for his true love (wife) to find him :) but i'm trying to put it in perspective.

no one is being teased. David Cass is around i'm sure, but if you want to ask him, i think his email addy is avail to all of us. why does posting your disastifaction here have you believe it will make anything happen quicker? only when you want to communicate? doenst Dave have the same rights? what do you want him to say?

i'm not writing to blast you.. only say deep down we're all anxious to get online and stat compilation going again, but none of us here can do anything about it, except show patience and good humor while waiting~

last..you say 'we were promised months ago'.... i must have missed that 'promise'. i think efforts were being made, and mileposts that were passed have been posted, but no promise that i recall.. but i could have missed it.

remember LSTOUR? remember the switch? when that site was running on auto pilot? we thought THIS site was never going to happen.....

it will and when it does, i hope you be first in line to thank Mark for all his tireless efforts. personally not knowing whats involved makes me feel a little helpless, but rather than complain, i'd be asking - what can i do to help?

keep in mind this is coming from a fellow player and Tour poster.. i am not replying in any 'officail spokesperson' sense... if i had any sense, i probably wouldnt' have posted :P

bruce

Without a doubt, the most level-headed, straight forward, clear thinking by a moderator we have seen in years. If the "new" tour even remotely resembles the new moderators, it's worth the wait
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby KCJammer on Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:37 pm

Let's try to keep things in perspective ...

On 12/23, Mark wrote: Here's what's been done and what to expect on a new test site in about 2 weeks.

Two weeks from 12/23 is January 6.

That's last Saturday folks.

When I heard "about 2 weeks", I figured 2-4 weeks. Maybe longer.

Ever work with contractors?

Ever build your own home?

How'd that work out for you?

Meet all the deadlines?

That's what I thought.

AlanR59 wrote:... I say enough is enough let's get this finished

Good idea. Grab a shovel.
KCJammer

Re: OK, Blast Me If You Will

Postby HeavySwinger on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:18 pm

AlanR59 wrote:I understand Mark is doing us a big favor by doing all of this. I just don't understand why we get so few updates and are told something will start on a date and it doesn't. Blah Blah Blah...Mark is not getting paid and we all appreciate what he is doing but isn't this getting close to dangling the carrot in front of the rabbit. Believe me this is not easy to write because I know I will get blasted but as a dedicated 20 plus year supporter of links I feel I have some rights. Just give us a timeline...even if it is six months...and stick with it.

Glad to oblige: You are not paying anything and you have no right to anything whatsoever
Larry
HeavySwinger

...and I disagree with you 110%

Postby HeavySwinger on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:19 pm

Belmont wrote:Agree with you 100%.
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:55 am

if we were paying a monthly fee for playing privilages on the lspn site, there might be a case to be made concerning "rights". but we aren't paying, so whenever the mature site kicks in, we will be glad. those who are afflicted with the impatience syndrome will just have to try to hold their mud. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Harpo on Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:39 am

Alan, I hear you. Just an update will help us understand where we are in relation to a new season/patch/version perhaps. We can wait, just an update. If Mark needs some help testing we are here. I did not hear anyone say yet that they are help testing on a different site. I don't think most of us will leave even if it's 6 months down the road.
Jim
Harpo

Re: OK, Blast Me If You Will

Postby Modman1 on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:03 am

HeavySwinger wrote:
AlanR59 wrote:I understand Mark is doing us a big favor by doing all of this. I just don't understand why we get so few updates and are told something will start on a date and it doesn't. Blah Blah Blah...Mark is not getting paid and we all appreciate what he is doing but isn't this getting close to dangling the carrot in front of the rabbit. Believe me this is not easy to write because I know I will get blasted but as a dedicated 20 plus year supporter of links I feel I have some rights. Just give us a timeline...even if it is six months...and stick with it.

Glad to oblige: You are not paying anything and you have no right to anything whatsoever

Have you never done anything for free? I am currently spending many hours putting together a class reunion. I have many people depending on me and am spending many free hours doing this. I do feel obligated because I made the commitment. I would happily pay or help Mark if asked.
Modman1

Postby Modman1 on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:09 am

JimArmstrong wrote:Alan, I hear you. Just an update will help us understand where we are in relation to a new season/patch/version perhaps. We can wait, just an update. If Mark needs some help testing we are here. I did not hear anyone say yet that they are help testing on a different site. I don't think most of us will leave even if it's 6 months down the road.

Thanks Jim.
Modman1

Re: ...and I disagree with you 110%

Postby Belmont on Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:11 am

HeavySwinger wrote:
Belmont wrote:Agree with you 100%.

And I disagree with you 111%. Your turn!

We can keep this going forever
Belmont

Next

Return to Talk About It