Stop and think before entering arcade events,

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Stop and think before entering arcade events,

Postby RR_Desperado on Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:35 pm

There seems to be quite a few players who are entering arcade events without realizing that if you have no intention of finishing them, all you are doing is cheating someone else out of a chance to play it.
This happens a lot. All you have to do is go to the tour home page and scroll down a few events where you see all spots filled and then look to see how many only bothered to play 1 or 2 rounds. I saw one event that ends today where 64 had entered( the max allowed) and when I looked at the standings, nearly half those who entered , hadn`t finished.
My other question is aimed at those who feel it necessary to limit entrants to 8 or 16. Question is simple, WHY ??? The more people who play, the less chance you have to win ???
RR_Desperado

Re: Stop and think before entering arcade events,

Postby Grey_Nomad on Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:53 pm

RR_Desperado wrote:There seems to be quite a few players who are entering arcade events without realizing that if you have no intention of finishing them, all you are doing is cheating someone else out of a chance to play it.
This happens a lot. All you have to do is go to the tour home page and scroll down a few events where you see all spots filled and then look to see how many only bothered to play 1 or 2 rounds. I saw one event that ends today where 64 had entered( the max allowed) and when I looked at the standings, nearly half those who entered , hadn`t finished.
My other question is aimed at those who feel it necessary to limit entrants to 8 or 16. Question is simple, WHY ??? The more people who play, the less chance you have to win ???

My sentiments exactly ( Although have been guilty of not finishing due to not taking into account time frame ie only available for 2 days etc)

CHEERS

TOM
A bad day on the golf course is better than any day at work

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/515/fab4su0.gif
Grey_Nomad

Postby canuck on Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:33 pm

Thataway barry , whippem into shape !!!!! :D

Chris
canuck

Postby grim_x on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:38 pm

yah, yah yah. The problem with the arcade tournaments is that one needs to pay attention to when they end. It's not like official events with a firm end date. Could be anything, so it's all too easy to blow a deadline and miss rounds. I've certainly done it. So, it's not a matter of intention, it just sometimes happens. Of course, barry will think it's all some sort of conspiracy or plot against him. I hear that he travels back and forth to work in a black helicopter, lmao.
grim_x

Postby RR_Desperado on Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:15 pm

actually, it`s pale blue with wispy white clouds painted on it.
RR_Desperado

Postby grim_x on Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:38 am

hmmm, sounds more like an air force project blue book conspiracy than a cia conspiracy. Or could be that someone has more and better crayons.
grim_x

Postby Westview on Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:04 am

You'll probably see more people finishing all 4 rounds once the ranking and flight levels are established. Incomplete tournaments will hurt your ranking.

I don't know if Mark has finalized the ranking formula, but completed tournament % will probably be in there.
Nothing can escape the law of Karma
Westview

Postby DennisHarris on Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:18 am

Jim,

Mark indicated that http://www.lspn.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=819 that you must complete an event before stats will be recorded.

Quote: A note about stats - tour, season, and lifetime stats are not stored when a player competes in an event unless the player finishes it. A future sportsmanship rating will be created to handle players who don't finish events. That rating will be able to be used when setting up events, allow players to join a clubhouse, or a team. Again, this is a future feature. Also, stats are kept per clubhouse with the exception of lifetime stats. So, all event, tour and season stats are part of whichever clubhouse you might be playing in. Lifetime stats are a culmination of all finished event rounds you play on the LSPN in general.

Barry,
I think everyone needs to remember the LSPN site is still in Beta mode. Because of that I have been guilty of starting an event and not finishing. I would never do so if we were live.

That said we all should keep in mind that if we begin a tournament, we should finish it because our participation in an event can and does at times prevent other players from playing because of the limited number of entrants for a tournament . Even if the site is in beta mode.
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:56 am

a 50% dropout rate in arcade events is about par for the course. with no penalty for noncompletion, many folks appear to lose interest when not playing well, and that is understandable. in the event i've been putting up, almost all of the low scorers finish, but my hat is off to the guys newly trying champ on for size and not scoring well but who still finish. we get a number of them every week, and i hope they stick with it, because i went through the same process when first learning the champ ropes. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby mercedes on Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:44 pm

Thanks Larry. I'm one of those tuning my CHAMP skills and I try to finish most. Once in awhile I get called out of town on business and can't finish. I am liking the CH competition and plan on giving it a go more when tour starts. Although I have to admit, I have quit before in total frustration!!!

Scott
If your not the lead dog, the view never changes.
mercedes

Postby gibby on Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:08 pm

what differance does it make to not finish arcade events only tour events are going to count.
gibby

Postby KCJammer on Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:17 pm

gibby wrote:what differance does it make to not finish arcade events only tour events are going to count.

That's what I thought until I read what Dennis posted ...
Also, stats are kept per clubhouse with the exception of lifetime stats. So, all event, tour and season stats are part of whichever clubhouse you might be playing in.
KCJammer

Postby KCJammer on Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:38 pm

Larry_Warrilow wrote:a 50% dropout rate in arcade events is about par for the course. with no penalty for noncompletion, many folks appear to lose interest when not playing well, and that is understandable. in the event i've been putting up, almost all of the low scorers finish, but my hat is off to the guys newly trying champ on for size and not scoring well but who still finish. we get a number of them every week, and i hope they stick with it, because i went through the same process when first learning the champ ropes. lw

I am really enjoying Champ level play, but I also still enjoy Pro level. They are, in my opinion, two totally different experiences. I'll never quit a round or a tourney out of frustration because, I figure, if I allow myself to do that once, I'll do it again and again. And if I have in the back of my mind, that option to exit the game, then I'll tend to put less effort into improving my play, knowing I can always bail.

I see this Beta period as the perfect opportunity to practice and experiment with different levels, different clubs, different shots, the mod, different swing methods -- I am currently playing in the PS Links tournament, my first go at powerstroke in a long, long time. Once we go live with v1.0, I'll likely have to pick one level and one swing method and stick to that. But for now, I'm mixing things up and having fun.

I'm also really enjoying some of the single-round tournies. They're a nice opportunity to try something new without feeling a commitment to having to play 4 rounds.
KCJammer

Postby RR_Desperado on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:24 pm

Gibby, the only reason I started this thread is because as I perused the arcade events, it seemed that every time I found an event that looked to my liking, it was full up. Then I started looking and found half the people who took up those starting spots only played 1 or 2 rounds.
I , personally, don`t give a fidler`s fa-- about stats and whether this is only a beta site or not. It`s a matter of someone taking up spaces that others would appreciate. That is the only drawback to the arcade side of things. 64 is not enough spaces for some of the popular events. Then when people waste them , it gets annoying !!
RR_Desperado

Postby HTP_ErnieB on Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:55 am

What is preventing you from creating your own event(s) that look to your liking?
HTP_ErnieB

Next

Return to Talk About It