OK here's another one - Where will the ball go?

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Re: OK here's another one - Where will the ball go?

Postby HeavySwinger on Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:08 pm

BruceWallace wrote:
HeavySwinger wrote:
LarryK wrote:Conditions:
1. In a vacuum.
2. Normal gravity.
3. Clubhead speed 120 mph.
4. Earth is spinning in the same direction of the ball at the same relative speed.
Question: Will the ball go anywhere?

Gawd, this is fun. Nothing better to do. Have another drink. :roll:

I'm afraid HeavySwinger knows the answer. OK, first we figure out how fast the ball comes off the club - but first we make some assumptions: the coefficient of restitution of 1.67, mass of ball 1.62 ounces, and 180 gram mass of driver (6.34 oz). Also assume the club head speed is generated by a golfer wearing breathing apparatus standing on the earth so the earth's rotation has negligible effect on the problem and the answer will be given relative to the tee planted in the earth. The loft of the driver we use will be 7 degrees and our golfer will deliver a flat swing to the ball which is neither descending or rising. Using our secret formula, we find the ball velocity relative to the tee is 156 MPH travelling upwards at a 14 degree angle. Now if you run this through some physics equations assuming flat ground, you will get a distance of 255 yards not including roll. If I had the equation for ball climb angle considering the coefficient of restitution and the coefficient of friction of the ball against the club, I could give you a more accurate answer. :D

D-a-m-n-e-d old RTS'ers always get it right. :D :D :P :P :)

Who's OLD :!: :?: :o
Larry
HeavySwinger

Previous

Return to Talk About It