aiming with top cam in elite

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

aiming with top cam in elite

Postby terrell on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:08 pm

i would really like to play elite. but the only thing that keeps me from it is the inability to aim with the top cam. it's just unrealistic to play with no idea what direction or how far to hit the drive/shot. first, to the regular eliters, would that be a bad thing? and second, to mark, would it even be possible to make that change to the program?
terrell

Re: aiming with top cam in elite

Postby DavidCass on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:17 pm

terrell wrote:it's just unrealistic to play with no idea what direction or how far to hit the drive/shot.

I don't know, sounds pretty realistic to me...
David Cass
LinksTour Admin
davidcass@lspn.net
DavidCass
Site Admin

Postby terrell on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:27 pm

lol, i hadn't thought of it that way, dc. you probably have a point.
terrell

Postby Harpo on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:30 pm

I think David is trying to catch up to Terrell's post count in one day. :lol:

@Terrell, So, you want a copy of the version Roy is using. :wink:

That is one of the things that makes Elite what it is. You either have to remember certain holes on each course or play a practice rd but just the driving part. It wasn't to bad to remember the holes until we started playing from different tee boxes. Some courses are not to bad and have that many blind shots.
Jim
Harpo

Postby Harpo on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:32 pm

But it looks like Terrell is keeping pace with him. 8)
Jim
Harpo

Postby terrell on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:44 pm

JimArmstrong wrote:But it looks like Terrell is keeping pace with him. 8)

it's not an intentional thing. but lucky for you guys, i don't have anything better to do at the moment.

yeah, roy and i had the practice round, memorize the holes discussion once. i don't agree that's a logical solution. i don't like playing practice rounds. if i play, i want it to count towards tournament results/satisfaction/disappointment (mostly disappointment, but i'm glad to be here).

lately, my snap has been extremely good. if i could read a putt, i'd be dangerous. but i like the prospects of what the increased penalty for a missed snap would provide.
terrell

Postby LH13241 on Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:14 pm

I always play Elite and don't even use the top view or any other view for the matter
You don't need to always use your driver, if all you can see is 200 yards ahead, use your 4 iron
Use the hole previews, there is some information you can use
Sometimes using the aiming stick, it will show fairway lie where you can't see it

I know some of you will gang up on this, but using a top cam to aim shouldn't be permitted
It should only be used as a reference. (it is just my opinion)
LH13241

Postby Bluenoser on Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:17 pm

LH13241 wrote:using a top cam to aim shouldn't be permitted.

Absolutely concur with this statement.
Links - it's not about winning, it's about having fun.
Bluenoser

Postby terrell on Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:21 pm

BruceM wrote:
LH13241 wrote:using a top cam to aim shouldn't be permitted.

Absolutely concur with this statement.

lh and bruce, why? most courses i've played have cheat books with yardages to trees, traps, water, etc. that's all the top cam provides. nothing more than real life tools provide. if you simply enjoy guessing where to hit, i certainly defend your right to that opinion also.
terrell

Postby mike58 on Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:16 pm

I think Elite is just right. Having pro, champ and elite is what makes Links interesting. You can play all 3 and get a different kind of challenge. As for aiming in Elite, it's pretty much like playing real golf on a course you haven't played before. Besides, when the real deal starts, you can get a lot of points playing elite, without having to shoot 60 under for a tournament.
mike58

Postby B118C on Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:54 pm

Terrell, I'll tell you what I have done after I decided to move up and play the elite level only. First of all, I am looking for as much realism as I can find in playing Links. I like aiming off the main cam only and I play using the "closeup" view as much as possible which creates the atmosphere like I am right out there on the course at ground level trying to figure out how I am going to hit my tee shot. I like to work the ball, setting up, for example, a slight fade with my driver, so I'll set it at 2 for the top number in the special setup and 1 for the bottom number. Then I play the tee shot down the left side of the fairway and try to nail it or just barley past the accuracy line. Most of time I stay in the fairway that way, but if I slightly pull it left of the accuracy line, then I find the left rough. I also have different number set ups for hitting draws with different clubs, too.
Now, don't laugh at me here, but I found that there are 2 ways for me to play at the elite level in regards to hitting tee shots. On some holes it's easy to aim on the main screen down the fairway because we can see them. But, there some holes that are uphill blind tee shots or the blind doglegs, then I have either used the "panoramic" view and hope that it will give me more viewing area, and I really only started using that when some of the tourneys created started using the closer tee boxes. Sometimes that works.
The other way for me is this: I have 5" X 7" index cards. I have, so far, taken the time over the past year and have "mapped out" close to 100 of the 115 courses that I presently have in my Links game. By mapping out, I mean that I map out the tee shots on each hole of the course as I go, writing out a statement on the card of what I am looking for as far as aiming my shot. It may be a "fat tree trunk that's just left of the far left fairway bunker in the distance" or it might be even a building or some landmark in the distance that I use to set the shot up. When I aim at something then I'll hit the shot and see where it lands, provided I've hit it right and if it is a good shot, then I mark it down so that I'll have it for future reference. That way I don't have to memorize all these courses. Of course, I do this with no breeze or wind, so I may have to alter my aim when I play in the tournaments with the breeze & wind blowing, but that O-K. This gives me a starting point.
In real tournament play for the pros, they and their caddies have all the dimensions and layouts of the courses that they are playing. That includes for tee shots, how far is that big oak down the left side of the fairway, or how far is it to reach the right fairway bunker and then clear it, etc. So I figure why not have a little info for myself so that I can at least better my odds of hitting the fairway that I can't see out there because it's an uphill drive or a blind dogleg.
You may not want to take the time to do this, but like Jim pointed out, you could set up a practice round with just the tee shots, write down a note or two on each hole on where to aim and run through 18 holes in no time.

I really enjoy playing the elite level. It's the most realistic to me, so that makes it the most rewarding level and not to mention, the most frustrating level to play. I hope that you will make the jump and play elite. :)
Bill
B118C

Postby canuck on Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:18 pm

terrell .... try using the spot pin function. rotate to the flag , then use spot pin . then look at the top view to see where the hell your players is looking, then make a educated guess how much to change your aim . :lol: simple as that gets me in the woods ever time lol

chris
canuck

Postby terrell on Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:32 pm

canuck wrote:terrell .... try using the spot pin function. rotate to the flag , then use spot pin . then look at the top view to see where the hell your players is looking, then make a educated guess how much to change your aim . :lol: simple as that gets me in the woods ever time lol

chris

lol. now see, all i was looking for was an intellectual explanation. no one can argue with this. please leave elite just the way it is.
terrell

Postby LH13241 on Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:33 pm

Like B118C, I do the same thing
I even have info about the greens (best places to land)
I also play like I would in real life, I love my 8 iron, so I'll try to land it around the 145 yds
Also having no views, makes you appreciate the work the designer put into the course
Lots of the courses have very nice looks in close ups

LH
LH13241

Postby JoeSmith on Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:47 pm

When you tee off in elite, is not the default aim of your player down the center of the fairway to a spot say 270 yards out? If I cant see where to aim in the main cam I use the default aim it gives me and rotate 1 or 2 degrees right to allow for my early snap.
JoeSmith

Next

Return to Talk About It