aiming with top cam in elite

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby Armand on Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:43 pm

This doesn't really matter, since aiming doesn't have any affect on the where the shot goes!? Or am I missing something?!?! :wink:

Armand

PS - I don't think one should be able to aim in any of the cameras other than the main view (in any level).
Armand

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:16 am

as one of the dinosaurs that learned to play the game playing "main window only", i can say that we all had notecards for each course on terrain objects to aim at on blind tee shots (eg: latrobe), and where all the deathtraps were located. but in those days we only had about 35 course files.

in this day and age, the overhead window tends to speed up the game because there is a lamentable lack of local knowledge based on well catalogued note taking. if every level had to play "main window only" on the links tour starting tomorrow (haha, in my dreams, right DC?) i would be fine with it. it is more realistic, but many players now totally dependent on the overhead window might find it onerous, possibly incomprehensible, and even (sigh) tedious that they would actually have to learn how to play a golf course from ground level like we do in real life. lw

_______
Larry_Warrilow

Postby OHNONO on Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:16 am

[quote="JoeSmith"]When you tee off in elite, is not the default aim of your player down the center of the fairway to a spot say 270 yards out ? quote]

Hi Joe ...... Ive would never trust that ! ..."feel " with the aimer is much better at f.ex 270y out ....

Elite is THE way ( IF you are not rusty !) IMO ... but the lies are effected too much

Terrell ! ..

"is the inability to aim with the top cam. it's just unrealistic "

You own a chopper ??????

:D

O
OHNONO

Postby terrell on Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:17 am

Larry_Warrilow wrote:[snip]...tedious that they would actually have to learn how to play a golf course from ground level like we do in real life. lw

_______

larry, i tend to hit my shots irl with a fair amount of distance. as a consequence, i always have a scorecard in my back pocket to refer to looking for reachable trouble down the fairways (top cam?). it's unrealistic to me to think a ground view is all that's available.

OHNONO wrote:You own a chopper ??????

:D

O

i'm not quite sure what you mean by 'chopper', ole? but if you mean an old club used to chop shots out of trouble, i do that a lot. (8

guys, i've gotten the sense the elite regulars don't want anything changed. i get the message. i'm extremely perceptive. i would like to play elite for the increased missed snap penalty. however, IT IS UNREALISTIC to not have a top cam view (scorecard?). but since i get the distinct impression the regulars want to leave elite as is, i'll stick to champ. i'm very happy and comfortable there. i was just asking. there will be no further lobbying on my part to change elite in any way.
terrell

Postby KCJammer on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:02 am

I've mentioned this before, and I'll say it again. It would be great to have a caddy book within the game itself that allowed for note taking. You could edit it or add to it each time you played a hole.
KCJammer

Postby OHNONO on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:53 am

Excuse me for my bad english ..
By chopper I meant helicopter AND was trying to be funny :(

O
OHNONO

Postby LH13241 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:13 am

KC, I think you hit the nail right on!
With the hole preview, it would be nice to able to write notes on it
such as distances and even aiming points.
Then we could go without top views

LH
LH13241

Postby Bluenoser on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:32 am

terrell wrote:
BruceM wrote:
LH13241 wrote:using a top cam to aim shouldn't be permitted.

Absolutely concur with this statement.

lh and bruce, why? most courses i've played have cheat books with yardages to trees, traps, water, etc. that's all the top cam provides. nothing more than real life tools provide. if you simply enjoy guessing where to hit, i certainly defend your right to that opinion also.

And you have those in links too, hole previews or top cam. Using it to get the info is no different than reading it from a caddie book, but, and I stress that but, aiming in it is not a real life tool.
Links - it's not about winning, it's about having fun.
Bluenoser

Postby terrell on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:16 am

kc, i always like the way you think outside the box. though i wouldn't take the time to take notes, that would certainly seem an acceptable alternative to an otherwise unrealistic situation.

ole, don't even worry about the english thing. most of the time, even americans have trouble with the language. actually, a chopper (helicopter) is a tremendous idea. if all courses had a flyby, even if it were just the ones with blind shots, aiming (or really just determining distances) in the top cam would be unnecessary.

even though i've abandoned the idea of playing elite, it's still refreshing to read good ideas.
terrell

Postby KCJammer on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:46 am

terrell wrote:... though i wouldn't take the time to take notes, that would certainly seem an acceptable alternative to an otherwise unrealistic situation.

I think many of us would be more inclined to do so if we were doing so within the game itself. Notebooks and index cards are cumbersome and can easily become misplaced. A small window that could be opened up within the game itself, that could be edited and saved on each hole, then hidden or closed as any camera view can, would be more likely to be used by more players.
KCJammer

Postby grim_x on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:56 pm

Can't resist this one. That "other" game has a note feature. At least it used to, I was too lazy to use it much, so haven't checked if it's in this years ver.
grim_x

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:40 pm

KC, all the notes i've ever made on links (not just course info) are stored in a series of 8x6 notecard boxes. they have, over years, proven highly resistent to disc crashes, destructive dense magnetic fields, and general computer stupidity. written records are still a pretty robust data storage medium for the stuff you really don't want to lose. like votes on the new touch screen voting systems.

T, i use a yardage book when possible, but there were some tracks i played around atlanta (champions, the stoufer resort etc) where the elevation changes were such that you were often guessing about actual carry. one learns a course fastest by negative experience, but hardly anyone playing links other than the elite guys have to really learn courses anymore. lw

______
Larry_Warrilow

Previous

Return to Talk About It