-77 with 3 rounds of windy..

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

-77 with 3 rounds of windy..

Postby RR_BlackBart on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:11 pm

Roy,

Please explain to me how you shoot -77 with three rounds windy? One round in windy -23. I have been playing for 11 years and I can come close to that in BREEZY, but windy is just too inconsistent. Sometimes you have to change set up as many as 6 or 7 times because it changes so fast. You must have nothing to do so you can take several hours to play one round while waiting on perfect wind conditions. I doubt that based on your fairways hit percentage. To have 18 and 19 putts per round you have to get CLOSE. Impossible if the wind changes just slightly during your swing.

I know exactly what your answer is going to be. You had a good round and got lucky. I've played you in person, and you didn't come close to those kinds of scores. What's the secret.

Porky
RR_BlackBart

Postby Stew_Pidazzle on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:16 pm

Here's the answer...he cheats :wink:
Stew_Pidazzle

Postby Hittman on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Porky.....just wait until he gets warmed up.... :lol:

and then add the ace in windy at No.3 Princeville (PLSA) ... 200+YDS downhill...wow...normally wind at your back and a real tough hole....

Great shooting Roy....and when you get a new computer...LOOK OUT TOUR...
Rob
Hittman

Re: -77 with 3 rounds of windy..

Postby loduca_16 on Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:12 am

LTG_PorkyPig wrote:Roy,

blah blah blah

Porky

:roll:
loduca_16

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:46 am

-77 at pro raw with three windy days is pretty good even for roy, even playing from short tees for three rounds. it's interesting that wessex gave him the most trouble. i would have guessed gleneagles. windy for a stud player on 2k3 tends to be just an annoyance on a short course, but even so, roy's effort this week was well above average, even for him. breezer doesn't get lapped very often. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby owntor on Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:40 am

Wind seems to change even after you swing making life even more unpredictable. Was it links 386 that used to lock in the wind when you started your swing? Ah, those were the days. lol :wink:

And I was pleased being -46 after 3 rounds on 2001 pro PLSA this week lmao. :roll: :shock:
owntor

Postby tnbogeyman on Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:55 am

Try having more than 1 computer going for the same round. Yeah...that's the way it is.....for us who like to play by normal golf rules...it...it is fustrating....oh well...that's the wayit is.
tnbogeyman

Doesbt add up

Postby RR_BlackBart on Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:14 am

I don't care how "good" he is....its not possible...too many variables...in windy, half a snap miss in 30 feet easy. No way one putt per hole in those conditions. Somebody is messin with the game and registry somewhere.

PP
RR_BlackBart

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:56 am

PP, 2k3 windy is just not that big a deal from short range, especially at pro. a stud player almost always is in close for a one putt at pro whatever the conditions. we proved statistically long ago that if some players had a "magic" machine, or cheat code, that the almost exact existing standard distribution of player's tour scoring averages would look a lot different. some guys are just really that good at links. lw
Larry_Warrilow

except

Postby RR_BlackBart on Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:05 pm

I agree with almost every thing you say Larry. Including some guys are just really good at Links. I believe I'm one of them from time to time if I play alot. However, STATISTICALLY you CANNOT get close EVERY TIME in windy..there is STATISTICALLY too many variables. At least twice per round STATISTICALLY the BEST player will miss a snap. And a HALF DOT snap miss in windy is THIRTY feet. That means to average ONE putt per hole, one has to make at least TWO putts of thirty feet of more..with no grid. So, until I WATCH someone do it..online..live..I don't believe it. Just my opinion. That's all.
RR_BlackBart

Postby terrell on Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:24 pm

great! is this this site's first ymbc post? there oughta be some way of preserving this for posterity (posterior?).
terrell

Re: except

Postby canuck on Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:57 pm

LTG_PorkyPig wrote:I agree with almost every thing you say Larry. Including some guys are just really good at Links. I believe I'm one of them from time to time if I play alot. However, STATISTICALLY you CANNOT get close EVERY TIME in windy..there is STATISTICALLY too many variables. At least twice per round STATISTICALLY the BEST player will miss a snap. And a HALF DOT snap miss in windy is THIRTY feet. That means to average ONE putt per hole, one has to make at least TWO putts of thirty feet of more..with no grid. So, until I WATCH someone do it..online..live..I don't believe it. Just my opinion. That's all.

why dont you ask roy higgi for a online match ?
somebody has to be the best.............
chris
canuck

Postby ErnieB on Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:36 pm

I've seen him play online, I think once was a windy matchplay round too ( oh did I ever get a good spanking ).... terrible snap for a player who scores as well as he does ( almost made mine look respectable :lol: ), but his short game, especially putting, is the best I've ever seen bar none, and I've been around since Links began online play ( LS'98 ).

I used to think it was impossible to score a birdie a hole (- 18 ) in Windy (pro). Now having exceeded that mark more times than I can remember, I know it's possible to do it four rounds in a row, with some luck and much concentration, forward tee positions makes it a little easier too. :wink:

The difference in a windy meter that suddenly switches from the 7:00 to the 8:00 position is not as drastic as one would think, it can be compensated for with swing power and in some cases an intentionally missed snap ( Pro ), as long as your putting game is solid, a 20 footer is no more difficult than a 10 footer.

Conquering a round of Links in Windy conditions is nothing more than conquering the battle of nerves with yourself. Roy has no fear/anxiety about Windy (he'll be glad to tell you how easy it is), thus -77 for 4 Windy rounds from the front tees, is exceptional yes, but certainly not out of the question.

Get an online round with him when you can, very fun to watch him play. 8)
ErnieB

good insight

Postby RR_BlackBart on Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Good insight Ernie B. I did play him online once when he was on 2XT. You are certainly right about his snap, which lead to my previous posts. It was match play and I had him down 2 holes with 3 to play and then fell apart and lost in SD.

All I can say, is that I'm an 85% snapper and if I play windy and miss a snap just a hair my result is waaaaaaaaaay off from where I planned to be with a 6 o'clock snap. I can make 20 footers all day long too, but 30 feet is a whole different story, and that's where I'm at with a slight snap miss. With the snap I saw, he should be 40+....LOL. btw..what is ymbc? I assume it was a slam. No offense taken, everyone has a different opinion.
RR_BlackBart

Postby DennisHarris on Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:02 pm

I've played funner matches with Roy (alt shot teamers mostly) out of greenkeeps room and I have seen him make every chip, be it from the fringe or rough. ..... And Putting.... Roy missing a putt ...from any distance.... is total shocking. It just don't happen ..... very often!

You can believe me or not, but that is my first hand experience whenever I have had the pleasure to playing a funner with Roy. And I played many!
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Next

Return to Talk About It