Is a player allowed to putt from the fringe?

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Is a player allowed to putt from the fringe?

Postby UpandIn on Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:49 am

Seems to me if ya can chip on the green, then ya ought to be allowed to putt from the fringe.
Just my humble opinion.

Up
UpandIn

Postby gibby on Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:52 am

just select your putter and putt
gibby

Postby Chip_Jett on Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:09 am

never heard that question before. :roll:
Chip_Jett

Postby sinewiz on Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:38 am

I suppose the big difference is that in real golf almost everyone putts from the fringe but if you chip from the green they'll kick you off the golf course. :) Seriously though many computer golfers frown on you chipping from on the green because it's looked at as an unfair advantage. Chipping from a long distance is simply easier than lagging a 50-60 foot putt. Lagging a putt from that distance requires a lot of skill while throwing it over all the breaks is definitely a lot easier. That’s not really the same thing as putting from the fringe which is accepted in every form of golf. “just my opinion” :wink:
sinewiz

Postby IBHackin on Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:53 am

All you have to do is select your putter. Just like in real golf, you evaluate the shot and selet the club and shot type that give you the best possibility of making it. I do both and have no issue with chipping on the green or putting from the fringe. If it goes in it was the correct shot.

Steve
IBHackin

Postby KCJammer on Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:55 pm

Not only can you putt from the fringe, but you can putt from the fairway and rough. I've found myself in situations where the pin was placed so close to the edge of the green that putting from the rough made the most sense.
KCJammer

Return to Talk About It