Starting another req debate

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Starting another req debate

Postby gibby on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:24 am

I know, I know here we go again!
But this is only about the arcade mode NOT the tour events (because tour events won't have req's)
I just think the req and penalty should be shown somewhere, maybe it could be added to the conditions page when you look up the conditions on the home page.
This way you need to do a little searching to find it or just add it with another icon to the home page. either way you will need to ck the homepage to know if there's a req or not, you can't just fire up Links and play a rd and hope there's a req.
B-4 we knew 4 req's and what the penalty was, now it's take a guess.
And I know the debate will start with, it was abused and I agree! (better players used it more than newbies) but I still think it should not be hidden.
so here we go page 1 of ???????
gibby

Postby terrell on Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:10 am

this is a first for me, gib', as i've never responded in a to requal or not to requal thread (as incredible as that seems judging from post count). it's not something i care about, and whatever anyone else wants to do as long as it's no dinars outta my pocket, is none of my business. links is a terrific game for a wide variety of players, and i'll be the last person to try to tell anyone howto play.

but you bring up a valid topic. personally, i have favorite courses, and i choose tournaments based on what courses are used. for example, someone recently had valhalla and someone else used covered bridge. these are two courses i just happened to have played irl, so i have kinduva affinity for playing them. doesn't matter if there are requals, no gimmies, or i'm the only player in the tournament. but you're right, everyone has their own motivations for playing, and it would be beneficial to see the conditions up front.

edit: my biggest pet peeve is ladies' tees. i've clicked to join a coupla tournaments, only to find out they're using ladies' tees. for which i discreetly back out and go on to something else.
terrell

Postby gibby on Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:38 am

Some day we need to sit down and have a few beers, so I can figure you out lol
gibby

Postby terrell on Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:54 am

what? all i'm saying is i don't care whether a tournament has requals or not. but you bring up a good idea of being able to see all conditions before entering a tournament. i shouldn't have been so long winded about it.

i could go for a coupla beers right about now. Image
terrell

Postby sgt_cook on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:27 am

well gee whiz you havent even got a half page yet. :lol: I don't find anything wrong with using the ladies tee's in the arcade side of things, but I would hope that the vast majority of rounds used for official events will be from the back tee boxes or at least the back two. Notice I haven't said a word about requals yet. :wink:
sgt_cook

Postby gibby on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:29 am

T,i knew where you where going but somehow we both have picked up a trait (mine from my dad) that we keep yaking (until my wife says shaddup get to the point) that a few beers could last until ?????? and we still wouldn't get to the point. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by gibby on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
gibby

Postby KCJammer on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:29 am

gibby wrote:Some day we need to sit down and have a few beers, so I can figure you out lol

Mind if I join you gents at the bar? Or maybe on some shrink's couch?

T - How do you reconcile this ...

terrell on 11/29/06 wrote:whatever anyone else wants to do as long as it's no dinars outta my pocket, is none of my business.

with this ... ?

terrell on 11/28/06 wrote:but laissez faire doesn't exist in my management style ...

God forbid there are two of you! :lol:
KCJammer

Postby DennisHarris on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:30 am

gibby,

I agree ... If requals are allowed or not in player generated (arcade) tournaments (well in any tournament for that matter) it should be posted on the LSPN home page and also on the online Links Tour page where all the tournaments are located. I think the conditions display area in both places would be the most ideal location as you also suggested.
Last edited by DennisHarris on Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby gibby on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:33 am

good one KC, get right to the point :lol: :lol:
gibby

Postby gibby on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:37 am

Dennis, I don't think it could be added to the game itself since it was not a option b-4 but by adding to homepage it would make one look if they decide to use it

edit: but then again Mark's adding some sort of chipping option so maybe
gibby

Postby terrell on Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:19 am

KCJammer wrote:T - How do you reconcile this ...

terrell on 11/29/06 wrote:whatever anyone else wants to do as long as it's no dinars outta my pocket, is none of my business.

with this ... ?

terrell on 11/28/06 wrote:but laissez faire doesn't exist in my management style ...

God forbid there are two of you! :lol:

that's incredibly easy, kc, gimme a hard one. if my guys are laying around and the boss walks by, i'll go from nice paycheck to no paycheck. whether someone uses a requal, or chips on a green, doesn't affect me one iota.

edit: and i wish i had a dollar for everytime someone asked 'are there more at home like you?' not quite sure what that means exactly.
terrell

Postby KCJammer on Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:36 pm

terrell wrote:it's not something i care about, and whatever anyone else wants to do as long as it's no dinars outta my pocket, is none of my business.

... whether someone uses a requal, or chips on a green, doesn't affect me one iota.

I think I understand.

So then, you don't care about the topics that have a bearing on how your play compares with that of your peers (i.e. flights, rankings, point distribution based upon tourney results, avoiding tough courses / conditions so as to improve one's ranking, etc.)?

How did you accumulate so many posts??? :lol:
KCJammer

Postby Vibes on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:44 pm

I don't think reQual's should be listed.
If they are listed people will use them
if people do not know if a particular tournament has requalifers they are more likely to finish the round not wanting the risk of being disquailified and not continuing than knowing they can exit, requalify to try improve they're round.

just my opinion
Cheers
Vibes
Vibes

Postby terrell on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:05 am

KCJammer wrote:So then, you don't care about the topics that have a bearing on how your play compares with that of your peers (i.e. flights, rankings, point distribution based upon tourney results, avoiding tough courses / conditions so as to improve one's ranking, etc.)?

hmmm, that's an extremely good point. but no, whether i've beaten someone head to head a dozen times, yet they're continuously ranked ahead of me, doesn't phase me in the least. i might see you ranked two positions above me, then the next few tournaments might mean a little more trying to catch you. but if i do...fine...if i don't...fine again. i typically cruise through tournaments 30 minutes a round, kicking myself for the i d i o t mistakes i make, but i never learn from them, it's just the way i like to play. if i knew if i took 40 minutes a round, i'd average a stroke better, i'd rather finish my rounds in 30 minutes. whether i average 60 or 65, i still enjoy playing.

KCJammer wrote:How did you accumulate so many posts??? :lol:

interestingly, my post count went way up with the advent of opera and the multiple tabbed browser. when jason cavanaugh was answering all the techie questions, i would read them, but there was very little to respond to. but when jason left, there was a huge hole, so i decided to pick up the gauntlet. not nearly as smart as jason is, and i need loads of help from the rest of you, but we get the job done for the most part.
terrell

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:37 pm

T, i take 40 minutes to play a round and (lol) you're still killing me. the guys playing my weekly champ click "invitational" all know that there are no reQs (because i keep advertising it), back tees every day, and a reasonable progression of conditions. when mark puts in the no-chip-on-green option, there won't be any of those either. no big deal--just exactly 72 holes for every player, with no do-overs, just like real life.

still, it wouldn't bother me if the do-over guys had some advance warning. they just s u c k up playing slots when they eventually bail out. lw

Next

Return to Talk About It