Ranking Idea

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Ranking Idea

Postby Harpo on Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:55 pm

I'd like to suggest a new ranking and see what Mark, David and others players think about it and perhaps add to it. I do not know what Mark has up his sleeve.

How about a so called World Ranking like the pros. One would get points according to their placing in (1) selected tourney about every 4 weeks. These tourneys would be on tough courses with harder than average conditions. Not nessarily more windy rounds. This would give more of a true ranking. If you want to be rated high, you must play to get points. The normal tourneys would be used just for flighting. If one wants to cherrypick to get in a higher flight, who cares. The true ranking would be based on the tougher events. What mode this would be played at I don't know. Maybe a ranking in all modes. ReQs, another question for the mix.

These are just some of my thoughts. Ideas anyone?
Jim
Harpo

I like it

Postby HeavySwinger on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:43 pm

I think some challenging pins and conditions on tough courses would make all of us better and more competitive. One can get complacent playing easy stuff all the time. Separate stats and ranking for MOD play would be welcome. I have no idea who the best MOD player is.
Larry
HeavySwinger

ja

Postby MasterMontgomery on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:55 pm

Sounds like a great idea Jim.
:D
Doug
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby Armand on Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:22 pm

Jim,

Do you have something similar in mind to the ranking system that was used on the old Links Tour site? Somehow, there was a "mashing" of all players into one ranking system based on their rank in the respective player group (pro, champ, elite, regardless of the swing type, I believe).

If you mean something else, I see the largest difficulty is how to "normalize" (and rank) players of different swing types and abilities (amateur vs. pro vs. champ vs. elite and click vs. RTS vs. PS). I think that may have been one of your points, though, wasn't it?

Armand
Armand

Postby OHNONO on Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:02 am

Good one Jim !
OHNONO

Postby sgt_cook on Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:10 am

I would agree we need an official tour events schedule seperate from other tour events. That would however require setting out firm season start and end dates. Throw in some "Majors" which would require qualifying to get a place, but do it so every flight level could have/be a participant.
sgt_cook

Postby lstouradmin on Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:22 pm

sgt_cook wrote:I would agree we need an official tour events schedule seperate from other tour events. That would however require setting out firm season start and end dates. Throw in some "Majors" which would require qualifying to get a place, but do it so every flight level could have/be a participant.

You're exactly right and the tournament system I've built has support for this. I just need to make the tools.

Tour admins will be able to create separate seasons with full schedules if so desired. The official tournaments will be much more organized once we officially launch the site.

Mark
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby Gunners on Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:29 pm

points to consider...

player consistently ranks in top 5-10% in events played.

player consistently plays many events per week/month. I guess I mean survivab;e stats

a "boost in ranking for playing tougher events

essentially, the more you play and the tougher conds you play...the better you rank. I feel that someone playin Devil's, RAW events and more windy and or tough greens should be ranked higher than someone playin Harbour Town with N/M/M conds. Also, if player A plays 2 rounds a week and player 2 plays 12, both scoring about the same...shouldn't player two be rewarded? Just my thoughts...cringes at the onslaught to come..lol
Gunners

Postby Harpo on Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:53 pm

@ gunners

No thoughts are wrong thoughts just each own's idea of what a good ranking system should include. By having only certain tourneys count for the true ranking, it takes out the guy/gal who can play 10 tourneys in one wk vs the ones that only have time to get in 1 or 2 a week. That way everyone has to play the same conditions and events and eliminates the ranking of hard and easy courses. Perhaps one every 4 weeks starting with Ammy and then Pro ... etc. That way one doesn't have to play 4 events in one week if they want to be ranked in all 4.

It looks like Mark has a plan already in the works. :D
Jim
Harpo

Postby sgt_cook on Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:54 pm

How about something on the order of:

LSPN Major tour events (x number of weeks) worth x number of rating points
regular tour events (x numer of weeks) worth x number of rating points
Flight tour events (x number of weeks) worth x number of rating points
Majors qualifying events ( x number of events) worth x number of rating points
LSPN Tour Majors (x number of events) worth x number of rating points

Whatever system gets used, I hope it includes allowances for all levels of play as well as skill levels. And I for one, am looking forward to playing and once again I send my thanks to Mark for all his hard work.
sgt_cook

Postby lstouradmin on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:11 pm

Plan is in the works but I wasn't certain how to implement. Thanks for the ideas guys and keep 'em coming. I like the idea of having certain events for the overall Links Master Ranking and also have the separate rankings like on the old tour but that would be handled differently in the new world as well.

Mark
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby Baritone on Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:59 am

I agree with the majority of the comments here.

Rankings should be separate by swing type.

Rankings should be based on the player's participation in a percentage of official tour events and on their finish "weighted" by the rankings of the players in the tournaments completed.

Not saying that you have to participate in all of the official tournaments, but a certain percent to be considered a "ranked" player. Plus that would minimize the "cherry picking" we've seen in the past.

For example, a player should receive a higher increase in participation and doing well against an elite field versus a field comprised of players like myself.

Finally, and this is probably not the majority view, "official" tournaments should not include windy conditions, as they inject far too much randomness into the situation for the results to be directly attributate to a player's ability, which is what the rankings should be working towards.

Keep the ideas coming and good work.
Baritone

Postby sgt_cook on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:19 am

Random conditions are what test ones ability.
sgt_cook

Postby gibby on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:50 am

or we have some sort of grand tour, where everybody starts in ammy and when you reach a preset level you have to move up to pro then champ, no going back. But keep a tour where you can play whichever
gibby

Postby Al_Frescoe on Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:00 pm

I've been saying this for years, glad to see someone else speaking up on a similar track.

Just to summaraize my personal opinon:

1 tourney per week per swing mode per skill level for ranking.

How simple (and fair) can it get?
Al_Frescoe

Next

Return to Talk About It