Spammers

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby Crissy on Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:16 pm

terrell wrote:one or two a day isn't too bad, but that's one or two a day i never saw at any of the old sites. they don't affect me very much, as i just ignore them, but judging by the views/replies, there are quite a few that are getting sucked in.

crissy has made some very good/inexpensive suggestions for limiting the spam we're getting. ya might consult with her for options. the spam might not be overwhelming now, but if enough peeps start responding, we'll eventually be inundated (lw pm'd me with that one).

Because the spammys are automatically generated ( there not real people ) they only make one post and thats the end of them, so deleting there user-name or not deleting it makes no never-mind. The problem is new ones are generated everyday so there you go a new post pops up for each one.

You can check this most times your-selfs, if you see a new spammy pop-up, just have a look for the newest member to have joined the site and you will find that its that very person.

As you were saying terrell I posted in another thread what I think would stop it and I am sure it would. ( People keep starting new threads on the same thing, so stuff just gets lost lol ) There are 1000-s and 1000-s of phpBB 2.0 forums around and they don't have spammys so its not that big a thing to stop.

I don't send mark messages for the reasons you me and Bruce spoke of, but I am sure he will fix things up as soon as he gets the chance. In the mean time it gives people stuff to post about, and that cant be all that bad. lol

Crissy
Crissy

Postby RR_Desperado on Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:18 am

I am a member of a sportfishing forum and a couple of flight simulator ones as well and this problem has appeared on those forums also. It seems to be a new situation arising on a lot of forums in the last couple of weeks.
RR_Desperado

Postby Coopers_PaleAle on Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:50 am

Just came back on-line and what do you reckon are the first 2 posts I see - yep spam - and this is getting to be a regular thing - like I mentioned once before we need around the clock surviellance

CHEERS

TOM
Coopers_PaleAle

spam update

Postby Bruce Bo on Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:23 am

DavidCass wrote:Another question... are the posts only showing up in this "first" forum or have there been some in the Tech forums, etc. too?

only in the main forum David (so far) and sad to report .. 4 today (from sunday)
Bruce Bo
Forum Moderator

LinksOnlineLeague Admin
Bruce Bo
Site Admin

Postby KCJammer on Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:08 am

DavidCass wrote:kc,

How did you look those up? I've looked at a few profiles and many for example 3467 does not have a link.

I didn’t go into the individual member profiles. I went to the last page of the memberlist (sorted in ascending order by Date Joined) to view the newest members and worked backwards from that point. The website links are in the far right-hand column.
KCJammer

anti-spam module added

Postby lstouradmin on Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:15 am

I just added an anti-spam module to the forum. Hopefully that will keep them at bay. If it continues to be a problem please email me or DC.

Mark
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby KCJammer on Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:20 am

Thanks Mark! Gonna miss hearing from SexySindy and the others, but I guess I'll survive without her. :lol:
KCJammer

Postby lstouradmin on Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:23 am

LOL!

I've also added email verification for new registrations.

Mark
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby GaryTaylor on Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:44 pm

KCJammer wrote:Thanks Mark! Gonna miss hearing from SexySindy and the others, but I guess I'll survive without her. :lol:

Ahhh...........so that's where the Jammer part comes from...... :shock:
GaryTaylor

Postby KCJammer on Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:30 pm

GaryTaylor wrote: Ahhh...........so that's where the Jammer part comes from...... :shock:

ImageImageImage
KCJammer

Previous

Return to Talk About It