Is A player allowed to chip on the putting green ?

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby Baritone on Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:52 am

Speaking as someone who used to be a devout chipper, but was "urged" into putting on the old site, I have to say that there are times still when I do chip on the green. Generally, when I'm very far from the hole or if there's a landscape feature in the way that greatly impacts putting (just as in real life).

That said, if the tour is going to legislate chipping on the greens as a way to make our tour more realistic, I trust that they will give due consideration to legislating other things that may give a player a distinct advantage over many of us who play on the tour, such as;

Super high-end monitors or video cards which could give a player an advantage of being able to see landscape features that are at best blurred to the rest of us.

Programs that allow for an decrease in the variability or error associated with the snap.

Step counting or other methods which result in extremely slow play. I know. Their slow play doesn't impact me, but we're competing, we should all be put on the clock. It's one consistent measure for comparables.

I could go on, but the point is, if we're trying to make this a level playing field through legislation of certain items, let's continue to try to make it level in other ways as well.

That's one of the main reasons why we can't have actual money tournaments, is that there's no way to handicap or effectively level the field for heads up play.

My two cents.
Baritone

Postby Harpo on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:49 pm

I think Mark is working on an option to turn off the BLI in the "make a tourney" to equal out the no grid button. That may be another rumor thou. :twisted: :wink:
Jim
Harpo

Postby Armand on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:07 pm

Jim,

If that is true :wink: I won't worry at all - I play all of my rounds with no grid, no BLI, no green analyzer.

Armand
Armand

Postby OHNONO on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:02 am

Jim .. Brian B .. well I meant Autosnap ( Barton I think)
OHNONO

Postby BruceWallace on Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:11 pm

Baritone wrote:Speaking as someone who used to be a devout chipper, but was "urged" into putting on the old site, I have to say that there are times still when I do chip on the green. Generally, when I'm very far from the hole or if there's a landscape feature in the way that greatly impacts putting (just as in real life).

That said, if the tour is going to legislate chipping on the greens as a way to make our tour more realistic, I trust that they will give due consideration to legislating other things that may give a player a distinct advantage over many of us who play on the tour, such as;

Super high-end monitors or video cards which could give a player an advantage of being able to see landscape features that are at best blurred to the rest of us.

Programs that allow for an decrease in the variability or error associated with the snap.

Step counting or other methods which result in extremely slow play. I know. Their slow play doesn't impact me, but we're competing, we should all be put on the clock. It's one consistent measure for comparables.

I could go on, but the point is, if we're trying to make this a level playing field through legislation of certain items, let's continue to try to make it level in other ways as well.

That's one of the main reasons why we can't have actual money tournaments, is that there's no way to handicap or effectively level the field for heads up play.

My two cents.

I do not care if someone chips on a green, but your statements after the word "trust" are so idiotic, I know you don't actually believe them, yourself.
BruceWallace

Postby Baritone on Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:40 am

Sorry Bruce, don't know how to quote folks, so I'll just do it the old way,

"I do not care if someone chips on a green, but your statements after the word "trust" are so idiotic, I know you don't actually believe them, yourself."

I can only hope that the tour admin reads and gives some consideration to the posts on this forum. Without them, they'd be limiting their view on what's considered a problem or not. My comments were genuine concerns and things that I'd like to be addressed, if at all possible, should this thing move in a more competitive area as I do see them all as legitimate problems that cause an uneven playing field. These things would all be a major concern should they move back the way they used to do things, with a year end on-site tournament, where everyone had to play on a consistent computer in a consistent timeframe.

As I do believe them to be problems, although maybe not addressable, I don't consider them [censored] and trust that I just caught you at a bad time by your comments.
Baritone

Postby terrell on Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:58 am

BruceWallace wrote:I do not care if someone chips on a green, but your statements after the word "trust" are so idiotic, I know you don't actually believe them, yourself.

wow, bruce, i've been known to throw a flame or two, but not generally at someone just throwing out ideas (software theft is an entirely different subject). can we chalk this up to just 'wrong side of the bed'?

but i do generally disagree with your proposals, baritone. mark can only control certain aspects of the game, and providing hardware/software and pc expertise is simply out of his scope of possibilities (i could be wrong, he might very well be able to run around fixing/upgrading all our computers. but i doubt it). i do believe for a $30 gpu, a $30 1 gb dimm, a defrag every so often, and look at task manager at all those superfluous processes running, anyone can have a very effective/capable links machine.

the infernal pragmatist
terrell

Postby Freefaller on Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:17 pm

Baritone wrote:Sorry Bruce, don't know how to quote folks.

Baritone, just click on the "Quote" button in the upper right corner of the post you want to quote from, doing this will take you to a new post screen, then you edit the text as you wish. When you want to add your own text outside of the quote just move your curser to the end of the quote and start typing. When done click "Submit" as you would for a normal post and you're done.
I reserve the right to be completly wrong
Freefaller

Postby Baritone on Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:38 pm

Thanks......just goes to show about how good the monitor is.....I didn't even notice the quote button in the upper right hand until you pointed it out! lol.

Thanks ff
Baritone

Postby Harpo on Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:20 pm

@ Ohnono

You are correct, it is Brian Barton. (AutoSnap)
Jim
Harpo

Postby KCJammer on Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:58 pm

I'm kinda surprised George hasn't checked in to extol the virtues of using the driver to chip on the greens. :lol:
KCJammer

Postby BruceWallace on Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:32 pm

terrell wrote:
BruceWallace wrote:I do not care if someone chips on a green, but your statements after the word "trust" are so idiotic, I know you don't actually believe them, yourself.

wow, bruce, i've been known to throw a flame or two, but not generally at someone just throwing out ideas (software theft is an entirely different subject). can we chalk this up to just 'wrong side of the bed'?

Not really. First, I don't know of any program out there for helping a person in links. As far as legislating what type of monitor and video card a person uses, I can't for the life of me, understand why someone would say that there should or could be that legislation. My monitor is almost 5 years old, but I certainly could not begrudge a person for having a super monitor or video card.

And, as far as step counting, if someone is playing online with a person who step counts, and the step counter plays slow, you either live with it, or don't play online with that person again.
BruceWallace

Postby RR_Desperado on Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:40 pm

I used to count steps, but ,now, the easiest way for me to explain my method is to say I simply use the grid to guess at the line.
On the other hand, I have played a lot of players who do not use the grid and find some of them can fool around with the bli for quite a while. :shock: :twisted:
RR_Desperado

Postby Bluenoser on Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:31 am

RR_Desperado wrote:On the other hand, I have played a lot of players who do not use the grid and find some of them can fool around with the bli for quite a while. :shock: :twisted:

I'm curious as to how you know they're fooling around with the BLI?

When playing someone online you don't what they're doing when aiming, the only thing you see is their actual shot after it comes through.

My point here is, none of us really know unless the other player tells us what they're doing. A player who takes a long time making a shot could easily be the result of lag time just as it could be step counting or 'fooling" around with the BLI.
Links - it's not about winning, it's about having fun.
Bluenoser

Postby Harpo on Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:29 am

If a player is just using the BLI and no grid, you will not see a grid when they putt. If they are using a grid it will show up when you see them putt. That doesn't mean that they are just using the grid and not the BLI or both thou. The players that I know using just the BLI don't use the grid and there for I can't see it when they putt when I play them.
Jim
Harpo

PreviousNext

Return to Talk About It