The Scream Of The Demon
Theres Evil About
DemonUK

Postby wes37 on Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:37 am

I concur
wes
wes37

Postby Freefaller on Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:04 am

Just curious here. But how exactly would you propose they stop someone from signing up and posting a msg with spam in it before it's actually posted. They already delete the username and block the IP as soon as they see it.
I reserve the right to be completly wrong
Freefaller

Postby Crissy on Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:22 am

Its pretty hard to stop this sort of thing. The only way one can really stop it all, would be to have a administration approved membership. That would be were when a person joined the forum they would have to be approved by the administration first, so most anyone could be stopped that way.

The problem with that is becoming a member could be a very slow process, because if people are busy then it could take sometime before one is approved. So for the sake of convenience, its a small price to pay by leaving things as they are.

I would think that if they had it were everyones email had to be validated ( thats where when you join you receive an email with a link just to confirm your a real person with a real email lol ) things may improve allot. As many of the spammys we get are automatically generated and using this method would surly stop many of them.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby DemonUK on Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:39 pm

Maybe they can be removed a little quicker thats all, I know you can't stop people registering, I'm not stupid. I'll just keep my mouth shut next time.
The Scream Of The Demon
Theres Evil About
DemonUK

They look to be automatic enrollment users

Postby HeavySwinger on Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:49 pm

Those can be fooled by requiring manual entry to sign up - this is usually done by having a graphic with a "hidden" word in it that must be typed in successfully to join up.
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby Coopers_PaleAle on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:28 pm

I agree these spammers are a pest at the best of times - and alas we probably have some junior members amongst us who may be enticed to follow the links provided, access to p o r n o g r a p h i c material really needs to be stopped at all times - perhaps we need more moderators so that someone is watching this site at all times and therefore remove the offending material as soon as it shows - and yes I agree perhaps a verification system hidden words/ email reply etc would work - I have seen it on other forums

Enjoy your day

CHEERS

TOM
Coopers_PaleAle

Re: They look to be automatic enrollment users

Postby Crissy on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:34 pm

HeavySwinger wrote:Those can be fooled by requiring manual entry to sign up - this is usually done by having a graphic with a "hidden" word in it that must be typed in successfully to join up.

They have that very feature now ( most all forum software now days does ) and they use it, but as you can see by the amount of attacks we are getting its not cutting the mustard.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby DavidCass on Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:02 am

How many a day (or a week) are you seeing?

What's really odd is that over several years on the old site, I could count the number of spams we got on one hand.
David Cass
LinksTour Admin
davidcass@lspn.net
DavidCass
Site Admin

Postby Crissy on Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:22 am

DavidCass wrote:How many a day (or a week) are you seeing?

What's really odd is that over several years on the old site, I could count the number of spams we got on one hand.

Hi David we are getting them everyday now sometimes two or three a day. Part of the reason I think is because there are a few security holes in phpBB 2.0 now days mainly because they are spending all there time working on phpBB 3.0 "Olympus" and there has not been an update for phpBB 2.0 since the 9th June 2006.

I know we are now using the graphic letters and numbers at sign-up to combat this problem. ( people have to fill these in at sign-up ) but it obviously is not working. What about having every new members email validated, I am sure that would help solve most of this problem anyway. As I am sure you are well aware this can be setup easily in the phpBB control panel.

Anyway just a few thoughts as I am sure you know better then I.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby KCJammer on Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:42 am

Coopers_PaleAle wrote:... perhaps we need more moderators so that someone is watching this site at all times ...

Check out Crissy's last post -- 4:22 a.m. !!!

There's my nominee for 24/7 surveillance! :lol:
KCJammer

Postby johnnyb on Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:17 am

i have never recieved spam from this or the old site.
johnnyb

Postby gibby on Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:31 am

johnnyb wrote:i have never recieved spam from this or the old site.

The spam is here, it's not being sent to you
gibby

Postby terrell on Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:37 am

gibby wrote:
johnnyb wrote:i have never recieved spam from this or the old site.

The spam is here, it's not being sent to you

kinda depends on ones' perspective, gib'. i consider some postings here as spam. some think my posts are spam. 'matter of semantics i s'pose. (8

edit: oh yeah, and i ate lots of spam when i first began purchasing links courses.
terrell

Return to Talk About It