Is anyone else having problems when exiting the Links Game?

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Is anyone else having problems when exiting the Links Game?

Postby B118C on Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:05 pm

I've had this for the last 3 days now. When I exit Links, my screen goes dark and I first get the "We've encountered a problem screen, send a report to Microsoft yes or no", which I always click on no. Then I get the gray screen from Links itself saying that it detected a crash, giving me the options to restart links, click on help, or just exit, which is what I do and I'm back to my desktop.

I knew that this was happening not too long ago after Mark switched something dll. It happened to me a few times back then, except that the links box saying it detected a crash didn't pop up then.
Then it quit happening all together until the day before yesterday.

Just wondering if it's been happening again to anyone else as I described above and if anyone in the "know" can shed some light on this. I appreciate it. Thanks
Bill
B118C

Postby garfran on Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:35 pm

Yes, I am having the same problem, but only after playing in the Links Tour.
garfran

Postby briso on Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:52 pm

yep, same things been happening to me, after leaving links I get the Microsoft has encountered a problem message as well.

I,m sure it will be fixed soon.

Brian.
briso

Postby Coopers_PaleAle on Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:22 pm

Been happening everytime since we changed over to LSPN - I've got used to it and I always send error report with the hope someone gets p***** off with all my reports

CHEERS

TOM
Coopers_PaleAle

Postby terrell on Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:36 pm

interesting. is this the problem mark said he was aware of, and that it was a dll? the reason it's curious to me is i've, and apparently most other players, have never gotten the error, that is, a crash at the end of an online/offline tour round.

is anyone getting the crashes that religiously keeps up with windows updates? has anyone getting the crashes, uninstalled/reinstalled the game or directx?

lol, tom, you're unnecessarily wasting your time sending ms error reports. even when ms actually owned links, no one ever saw your individual error. those reports all went into a bit bucket and were regurgitated into some nebulous report used for statistical purposes. now they only go into a bit bucket. but i admire your determination.
terrell

Postby B118C on Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:47 pm

Terrell, I didn't have any crashes when I first started at the new site. Then I started having the ones I mentioned at the beginning of this post and I remember that someone else posted a similar question about it, receiving a response that Mark had switched "something" dll. I can't remember if the "something" was the word server or not, but whoever responded said that Mark was aware of it and would eventually get around to fixing it and that it should not have any affect on your computer.

As far as Windows updates, I downloaded and installed all the latest updates today before I went to play at Augusta 2006 in the final round of the "Par Ain't Bad" tourney. Everything worked fine thru out the round, including submitting all the game play stats. The problem occured when I was exiting the Links program to go back to my desktop.
And, like I said earlier, this problem didn't start happening again until 2 days ago. I just thought I would throw it out there and I do appreciate your's and everyone else's imput.
Thanks again. :)
Bill
B118C

Ignore it, Mark will fix it in due time

Postby HeavySwinger on Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:30 pm

I'm sure Mark said he would fix the problem, but it has a low priority because it doesn't do any real harm.
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby ironbyron on Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:38 pm

Nice to know I'm not alone, been having the same problem, especially after quitting after playing a tour event. I thought it was my computer and that I was gonna have to reload the game. This is why I love this forum, keeps my from going more insane than I already am. :D
ironbyron

Postby schizoid on Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:44 pm

Yes, Yes, Yes. No problems otherwise.
schizoid

Postby terrell on Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:53 am

B118C wrote:[snip]As far as Windows updates, I downloaded and installed all the latest updates today before I went to play at Augusta 2006 in the final round of the "Par Ain't Bad" tourney. Everything worked fine thru out the round, including submitting all the game play stats. The problem occured when I was exiting the Links program to go back to my desktop.
[snip again]

bill, thanks very much for that. but i still cannot imagine a server side issue causing a client side crash. if i were having the problem of links crashing while exiting the program, i would be uninstalling directx. dx9 contains the components that talk to the game server, and it seems there must be an incorrect/corrupted directplay file on the client side. else, everyone with the latest directx 9 would be crashing.

i've yet to read anyone saying they maintain windows updates. have uninstalled/reinstalled links. and have uninstalled/reinstalled dx9. when you run dxdiag, click on the directx files tab, are there duplicate files/errors?
terrell

Postby gibby on Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:17 am

T, in the 3rd post from Bruce, http://www.lspn.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=342
gibby

Postby terrell on Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:53 am

gibby wrote:T, in the 3rd post from Bruce, http://www.lspn.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=342

i've seen that, gib'. but it still doesn't make any sense. why would a server side issue cause a client to crash? why isn't everyone crashing? why doesn't everyone have to play offline to get stats sent?

just because the mechanic says your muffler bearings are worn...
terrell

Postby gibby on Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:12 am

so far for me it's only happening after a tour event not arcade
I would have to guess it's in the installer when exiting
And I get your drift, why not everyone?

edit: Im not having any issuses sending stats, but every now and then it disconnects w/ the server then 1-2 holes later reconnects by itsef
gibby

Postby Crissy on Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:41 am

terrell wrote:
gibby wrote:T, in the 3rd post from Bruce, http://www.lspn.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=342

i've seen that, gib'. but it still doesn't make any sense. why would a server side issue cause a client to crash? why isn't everyone crashing? why doesn't everyone have to play offline to get stats sent?

just because the mechanic says your muffler bearings are worn...

For what it is worth I have never had any of these problems and Links has never crashed once.The most I have ever had is a course cant be found that I really do have now and then, but that has been easily corrected each time.

I do not know what the problem could be as if anyone that should have problems I should as I have add-on courses in places that Links was not designed to even have them. One thing I have noticed is when Links is sending my score at the end of my round it can take a bit of time to do now and then, but that has never been a problem or anything.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby terrell on Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:56 am

Crissy wrote:[snip]One thing I have noticed is when Links is sending my score at the end of my round it can take a bit of time to do now and then, but that has never been a problem or anything.

Crissy

exactly the same here, crissy. the stats seem to be taking longer than normal, but they always go. i used to think there was a game server timeout tweak that could be adjusted, but i'm not sure of that anymore. the inordinate time it takes, coupled with i've done nothing to my client ip settings, tells me the problem has to be the way your isp talks to the http://www.lspn.net site.

i agree with crissy (from my totally unprofessional perspective), if there was a server side issue, the problem of crashing while exiting links would be occurring for everyone. think client side directx.
terrell

Next

Return to Talk About It