v1.07 Update

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Re: v1.07 Update

Postby lstouradmin on Wed May 07, 2008 6:38 pm

Larry_Warrilow wrote:the mixture of green conditions from both versions will be a nice resource for the game in the long run, even though the concept itself will probably not be popular with the main tour player population in the short term. the unmixed green conditions of both versions form a pretty smooth continuum of speeds with the exception of the small overlap between 1.06 s/s and 1.05 f/f. [1.05 f/f at 25 feet is about 2 feet faster than 1.06 s/s.]

while an unmixed green condition policy for official tour events in the unified 1.07 game will be practical, and acceptable to lspn tour players, sometime way down the line players will appreciate the fact that green conditions can be arranged to be somewhat less predictable. thus the game will have a long term potential for more subtle complexity on the greens, even in the smallest ways. lw

_______

Well said, and exactly how I feel about it.

Mark
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby lstouradmin on Wed May 07, 2008 6:41 pm

I just did a comparison. In v1.05 there are 27 combinations of green/wind conditions. In v1.07 there are 196 with some overlap possible if course physics are not changed in a course. I think if you use course physics on an old course you're pretty much using medium/medium.

Mark
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby Armand on Wed May 07, 2008 9:38 pm

Mark, I could be wrong, but my experience with 0.07 suggests that using course physics on courses that do not have them built into the course results in Soft (1.05), Slow (1.05). Has something changed in that regard? I won't have time to try the beta this weekend, but will hopefully get it downloaded at least.

Armand
Armand

Postby Cheezer on Wed May 07, 2008 9:50 pm

Well I tested the pro ammy 1.07 version. I can tell you right now gusty will not be in my list. The wind changes so drastically so fast by the time I get set to allow for how much wind plus direction of the wind, I find myself spending a minute to to get lucky enough to have the right combination of distance and direction before the wind changes again. Very frustrating to say the least. In real life winds can be gusty but for the vast majority of the time it gusts from one direction only but will go from maybe ten mile per hour wind to maybe 20 mile an hour wind but does not switch directions at the same time. GOOD BYE GUSTY.

As far as learning new putting schemes for soft slow all the way up to firm fast I am quite hesitant to even do that. I have been playing links golf for many years and has taken me a long time to get familiar with those. I doubt very seriously if I will have to patience nor care to go through a long learning curve again. I am afraid my existence here at LSPN might be short lived. On a good note I am sure it will make some people very happy. Just wish I knew this was going to happen before I paid an annual fee for LSPN in advance. Oh well live and learn they say. :(
Cheezer

Postby lstouradmin on Wed May 07, 2008 10:26 pm

Armand wrote:Mark, I could be wrong, but my experience with 0.07 suggests that using course physics on courses that do not have them built into the course results in Soft (1.05), Slow (1.05). Has something changed in that regard? I won't have time to try the beta this weekend, but will hopefully get it downloaded at least.

Armand

Nope, I just assumed. Thanks for the correction.

Mark
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby lstouradmin on Wed May 07, 2008 10:29 pm

Cheezer wrote:Well I tested the pro ammy 1.07 version. I can tell you right now gusty will not be in my list. The wind changes so drastically so fast by the time I get set to allow for how much wind plus direction of the wind, I find myself spending a minute to to get lucky enough to have the right combination of distance and direction before the wind changes again. Very frustrating to say the least. In real life winds can be gusty but for the vast majority of the time it gusts from one direction only but will go from maybe ten mile per hour wind to maybe 20 mile an hour wind but does not switch directions at the same time. GOOD BYE GUSTY.

As far as learning new putting schemes for soft slow all the way up to firm fast I am quite hesitant to even do that. I have been playing links golf for many years and has taken me a long time to get familiar with those. I doubt very seriously if I will have to patience nor care to go through a long learning curve again. I am afraid my existence here at LSPN might be short lived. On a good note I am sure it will make some people very happy. Just wish I knew this was going to happen before I paid an annual fee for LSPN in advance. Oh well live and learn they say. :(

Hi gary,

Like i said earlier, and i'm sure someone will point out that I said it again :D, i don't plan on changing the conditions in events at this time. I might add some new stuff down the road but events will still stay the same.

As for gusty, I'm certainly willing to make changes as i haven't really tested it with everyone using it yet. Also, gusty shouldn't be changing direction, just wind speeds. Well, it shouldn't be changing direction any differently than breezy/windy anyway.

mark
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby FixAmer1st on Wed May 07, 2008 11:44 pm

lstouradmin wrote:
Armand wrote:Mark, I could be wrong, but my experience with 0.07 suggests that using course physics on courses that do not have them built into the course results in Soft (1.05), Slow (1.05). Has something changed in that regard? I won't have time to try the beta this weekend, but will hopefully get it downloaded at least.

Armand

Nope, I just assumed. Thanks for the correction.

Mark

Mark,
My testing showed the Course Properties with courses that do not have them played more like Soft(1.06), Slow(1.06) than the 1.05 speeds that Armand got. I admit it is not much of a difference, only 9% faster, but still not what you might want as a default. Maybe program it so if the game finds a course without those settings (if it can be determined) to Moderate/Medium speeds if possible?

Jerry
My apologies for plagiarizing Mel Brooks but "It’s GOOD to Play Links!"
FixAmer1st

Postby johnnyb on Thu May 08, 2008 2:11 am

Mark,
I tried itand thought it was challenging. Anyone who don't think gusty wind can not only change speed and direction has never played in The Gorge or Soldotna.
johnnyb
johnnyb

Postby JoeSmith on Thu May 08, 2008 6:43 am

Having played Gusty many times, it certainly is better than hurricane force Windy. If you dont like the full blast gusty, just wait a few seconds and it will lower in intensity.
JoeSmith

Postby TexAgs on Thu May 08, 2008 1:50 pm

I give a thumbs up on gusty. I noticed it would change directions by a "dot" one way or the other during set up, but never noticed anything more than that. I found myself calc'ing the shot based on a certain direction and then would just wait a few seconds for the wind to return to what I used for the calc, then pull the trigger. If it never came back to what I wanted, then I would just adjust with the snap or reset the shot. But I need to better train my eyes to shift from the wind meter to the swing meter without losing focus... lol.
TexAgs

Postby DennisHarris on Thu May 08, 2008 2:27 pm

I'm assuming (shame on me) the 1.07 Beta Test site tournament at Skeleton Coast Rd 1 was or is with a gusty wind. Is that correct?
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby tryandtyoneon on Thu May 08, 2008 2:33 pm

DennisHarris wrote:I'm assuming (shame on me) the 1.07 Beta Test site tournament at Skeleton Coast Rd 1 was or is with a gusty wind. Is that correct?

yes
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby DennisHarris on Thu May 08, 2008 2:48 pm

tryandtyoneon wrote:
DennisHarris wrote:I'm assuming (shame on me) the 1.07 Beta Test site tournament at Skeleton Coast Rd 1 was or is with a gusty wind. Is that correct?

yes

Thanks Murray,

In that case .......I found the gusty wind was not overly difficult on me. Yes I got burnt a few times as the wind shifted just before I started my swing and it affected my shot. But I didn't find it horribly bad. Certainly I'm not as accomplished a player as most and my goals or expectations for a round are likely lower than most players but I still shot under par, w/o any practice and with my erratic snap to boot. So the new gusty is fine imo. I had fun and some frustration during my round but then again it did say challenging.... (something or other).

Round 2 was definately gusty. Burnt me a time or 2. :oops: I also fixed distances of the driver, 2w and 3w. But scoring underpar was not an issue because of gusty wind conditions. Wind seemed IMO to gust stronger on holes by the water on the back nine more than anywhere else. Awesome effect imo. Scoring in gusty is not really an issue. My snap killed me and the extra distance on my driver, 2w and 3w placed me in some odd distances (Tweeners) for approach shots. I will have to work on newq approach distances with my irons.

Gr8 job with the 1.07 beta so far Mark. Going to try multiplayer LSPN round next.

Hummmm I forgot to change club distances for the Driver, 2 wood and 3 wood for round 1. The good was I still had all my clubs to use during the round .

Wonders if you (Mark) intends to make the new club distances automatically 285 for D, 275 for 2W, and 260 for the 3W when the official 1.07 patch is released. I used 1.05 Club distances to play my 1st skeleton round. :cry:
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby Cheezer on Sat May 10, 2008 6:26 am

I have reread every post on this thread about five times now. What I have gathered is that there are so many different variations of possible green speeds it boggles the mind. Players like Joe Smith have taken time to already set up putting schemes for some of the various putting possibility schemes and even he is stating that he is a bit overwhelmed at it all.

After thinking about all this I have drawn one conclusion. First and foremost the art of putting comes down to one very important thing. To make putts a player has to be able to hit the top mark and the bottom mark perfectly (except of course in ammy) to make a putt. To change the distance a putt travels by designers is only serving to frustrate the majority of players that have been playing Links 2003 now for over five years. I have already stated my displeasure of the possibility of changing putting speeds that will be instituted in the 1.07 patch. To master all of the possible different putting schemes I believe would be mind boggling for the majority of players who play Links golf. For those fanatics who love to spend countless hours drawing up new putting charts and practicing different putting scenerios that is what pushes their buttons and that is fine however I think for the majority of players who play Links golf for pure occasional fun it will not be received well at all. As I have stated previously in this thread I am not about to practice putting for 15 minutes on a course before firing up the same course to play in a tourney whether it be an arcade event or one of the official tournies. Yes I know Mark has stated he will not be using those in his tourney's at the start but I have a gut feeling he might eventually do so because the few fanatics who have pushed different putting schemes to this point have already infiltrated Mark to change the putting possibilities to some degree. Again I will reitirate that the art of making putts is not how fast or slow a putt is but how well a player can hit the top and bottom marks on the swing meter. Changing the speeds of the various putting schemes we are all used to over the last five years is nothing more than trickery and will not be welcomed by the vast majority of casual players. Part of the reason I believe my take on this is correct is because the overwhelming majority of players wanted nothing to do with the mod putting changes. Whether it be 10 % 20 % 30 % or whatever difference the various changes might be is not of signifigance. The fact speeds can be changed in various differences at all is not going to go over well by most players.

If Mark wanted to make improvements in the way Links plays in my opinion the majority of players would have rather seen him spend his valuable time changing other aspects of Links that are not correct such as the drop rules that are totally wrong in Links and there are others as well that are wrong. The long and short of this whole scenerio is I believe Mark listened to the few designers and players who like to dwell in changing how Links plays and get their jollies in making changes in the game of golf more than actually firing up the game of Links only for recreation reasons. I think Mark might have been better served by polling ALL players and asking all what changes to Links is not only needed but truly wanted by the majority of players instead of a few players who get their jollies by changing green speeds. To me changing sky colors was laughable. Who really cares about purple skies or god know what other crazy sky colors can be obtained. Where I live we have blue skies, grey skies of various colors depending upon how stormy it is and on occasions at sunset pink skies for about a half hour before it gets to dark to play golf. If I saw some of the various color schemes that will be possible in the 1.07 patch my body would be looking for shelter and wondering if the Martians have landed. In the end the only thing that the 1.07 patch has done for me is revive the possibility of match maker. But in the end that is a mute point now. :(
Cheezer

Postby ErnieB on Sat May 10, 2008 6:38 am

Don't close the door on it yet Gary. I set up a Hybrid conditions tour on the test site with the intent of introducing the various hybrid putting conditions, which is why all 4 rounds are no wind and with "MOD-friendly" pins. Give it a try, it's not as bad as you think.

Basically, Moderate(Challenging)/Medium is a little slower than Moderate/Medium - Moderate/Medium(Challenging) is a little faster than Moderate/Medium. The same is basically true with all the conditions, if the (challenging) is applied to the firmness only, it will be a little slower than normal 1.05 conditions and if applied to the speed it will be a little faster.

The rest is just learning through trial and error, like having a new game, and I know Links didn't completely boggle your mind when you first started playing. :wink:
ErnieB

PreviousNext

Return to Talk About It