v1.07 Update

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Re: v1.07 Update

Postby Chip_Jett on Sat May 10, 2008 7:15 am

The only way you can have fun gary is if the game is predictable? Play the game @ 1.05 for the next 10 years. How boring is that. To me the only way this game will survive is changes. I for one welcome the fact that people are working to improve this game / take predictabity out / change conditions to make it more difficult to score a good round. IRL i go to the driving range at least 6 times b4 i play my 1st round of the season .........its called practice. I probrably sound i bit sinicle , but try thinking your glass is half full instead of half empty once in awhile.
Chip_Jett

Postby Rehit on Sat May 10, 2008 7:19 am

i do not understand the comment about the skies.
they are chosen and added to the game by the user.
they are not there by default.
here are a couple samples.

http://www.apcd2003.com/img/forlspn/skies2.jpg
http://www.apcd2003.com/img/forlspn/skies1.jpg
Rehit

Postby ErnieB on Sat May 10, 2008 7:38 am

Rehit wrote:i do not understand the comment about the skies.

Currently, the 0.09 patch available here only contains the mojave sunset sky. I am guessing on final release, the standard skies (or a set of standard skies in the skies folder) will once again become available.
ErnieB

Postby ErnieB on Sat May 10, 2008 7:46 am

Also, to pre-empt any more ridiculous fears or unfounded conspiracy theories about AJ / Mick trying to boost member subscriptions (and you know to whom I am referring :lol: ), once the Links Extender software beta period has ended, anyone will be able to create / edit their own skies and there surely will be hundreds or even thousands of skies all over the place for us to downoad / use. 8)
ErnieB

Postby TexAgs on Sat May 10, 2008 9:05 am

It is probably a little late in the game to throw out new ideas, but if you can do "gusty" then why not add a wind setting that is less than breezy, say "light," that varies from 0% to 25% in wind speed. Just enough wind to move the ball, but not enough to worry about too much, and it will help keep the humidity out of the air and keep me from sweating too much. Perfect IRL conds...lol.
TexAgs

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sat May 10, 2008 2:36 pm

the admin has clearly stated that lspn 1.05 tour players will continue to be able to play the game exactly the way they have for many previous seasons. 1.07 unifies the two game versions, and will make specific new game and graphics options easier to access for those players who feel like taking the plunge. 1.07 features like the restoration of the ability to play multiplayer tour rounds should be pretty popular with 1.05 players who enjoyed playing the tour in a real time social context. no one is going to have to relearn the game. the 1.07 version is a win/win scenario for both 1.05 and 1.06 tour players. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Harpo on Sat May 10, 2008 3:47 pm

On my pc, when I loaded 1.07 I too only had the two sky choices but when I undated and tried it on my laptop I was able to pick from several different choices. Any idea why that is?
Jim
Harpo

Postby terrell on Sat May 10, 2008 4:22 pm

JimArmstrong wrote:On my pc, when I loaded 1.07 I too only had the two sky choices but when I undated and tried it on my laptop I was able to pick from several different choices. Any idea why that is?

what exactly is 'undated', jim, and i'll try it?
terrell

Postby Harpo on Sat May 10, 2008 7:08 pm

terrell wrote:
JimArmstrong wrote:On my pc, when I loaded 1.07 I too only had the two sky choices but when I undated and tried it on my laptop I was able to pick from several different choices. Any idea why that is?

what exactly is 'undated', jim, and i'll try it?

Good catch "T". That would be updated. :oops:
Jim
Harpo

Postby Cheezer on Sat May 10, 2008 8:02 pm

Larry thanks for settling my confusion and uncertainy considering the 1.07 patch. I was under the impression but not certain that all putting schemes would change. I am taking a sigh of relief now. As for Jim Armstrong's reply about practice before teeing it up for real, my reply to that is I hit maybe fifteen shots with my pitching wedge, seven iron and driver combined just to loosen up and head for the first tee. Too each his own Jim but because you practice four times before teeing it for real doesn't mean we all should do the same. And beside what has practicing shots beforehand have to do with changing putting conditions unless of course if where you play golf they change the green conditons and you practice putting for four days too. HEHEHE
Cheezer

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sat May 10, 2008 9:49 pm

gary, 90% of the players on this site (like you and i) are 1.05 players. there is no way the lspn tour is going to suddenly ask the overwhelming majority of its player population to deal with an unfamiliar variant of the game. the new version, besides the immediate features that will be useful to all players, is going to allow the current game to carry the potential for a more nuanced flexibilty downstream whenever the players might ask for it.

there were some individuals a few years ago, ignoring the energy the users were even then putting into the links game, and who were constantly bleating about the supposed stagnation of the links game and that the EA TW game was the wave of the future. but the huge library of ongoing creative output of the links user apcd course designers, and the work being done on every aspect of links: graphics, designer support, and the development of more sophisticated functional game parameter options, are continuing proof that they were dead wrong. the users took over the links game long ago and over time you and i and the rest of the serious links hobbyists are going to move the game along as we adopt (or don't adopt) the many features and options we are going have in short order.

the last major tour programing change was the 1.05 patch, which among other things enabled tour support of match play for the first time, the single most popular addition to tour play in site history at that time. this new version is also going to enable plenty of interesting options without changing the 1.05 structure of the site. lw

____
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Harpo on Sat May 10, 2008 9:56 pm

Cheezer wrote:Larry thanks for settling my confusion and uncertainy considering the 1.07 patch. I was under the impression but not certain that all putting schemes would change. I am taking a sigh of relief now. As for Jim Armstrong's reply about practice before teeing it up for real, my reply to that is I hit maybe fifteen shots with my pitching wedge, seven iron and driver combined just to loosen up and head for the first tee. Too each his own Jim but because you practice four times before teeing it for real doesn't mean we all should do the same. And beside what has practicing shots beforehand have to do with changing putting conditions unless of course if where you play golf they change the green conditons and you practice putting for four days too. HEHEHE

I believe you must be talking about Dennis here about practicing before hand but I'll take the blame, I've got broad shoulders. :D
Jim
Harpo

Postby Cheezer on Sat May 10, 2008 10:23 pm

Great response Larry, and I agree 100% with you and am thankful for all the hard and dedicated work everyone who has contributed to the extensions provided in Links for all of the Links players. Now that I know I am not going to get something shoved down my throat but have the option of playing this awesome game of Links that I have been playing since the old Access days I am as pleased as punch and will now retreat to my cave to celebrate and no one will have to listen to my whining any longer. Long live Links. 8)
Cheezer

Postby UncleDunc on Mon May 12, 2008 8:33 am

Jeff Shillings wrote:Forgive me for throwing more fuel on the fire, but it seems being able to mix conditions would be the point.... i.e provide more variations in speeds and conditions. It seems to me that more variables would make putting more of an art (kinda like real golf?)

I guess my point is that mixing conditions is a good option. Mixing them at unrealistic combinations is not. I also realize this is just a game and anything that makes it different and more challenging is a good thing, but if I spin a 5w off the green you can be sure I'll be cursing someone (or something). :P

So did Tin Cup in the imaginary U.S. Open...lol
UncleDunc

Postby mogulbasher on Mon May 12, 2008 10:06 am

I have sent Mark a set of original skies that came with the game converted to the new format for the 1.07 patch so he will have those available for the final patch.

The sky editor and texture editor needed to take advantages of the new patch will also be made generally available to everyone at the same time as the patch.

Andrew
mogulbasher

PreviousNext

Return to Talk About It