Snap is definitely overrated

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Snap is definitely overrated

Postby RR_JimBowie on Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:11 pm

Not sure I've ever managed to do this before...

BMW Championship - Am -68

BMW Championship - Pro -71
RR_JimBowie

Postby OHNONO on Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:42 pm

---- looks like proof to me :)
OHNONO

Postby tryandtyoneon on Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:43 pm

Wow.......Proof is in the pudding........Sweet!!
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby KCJammer on Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:50 pm

Nice shooting! Your scores got me to wondering ... (and this is for the OP or anyone who plays classic swing across levels) when you play ammy, do you worry about hitting the 6:00 snap, or do you not bother with it? I didn't realize, until reading recently, that the bottom snap in ammy has some bearing on where your shot goes.

Last year I played TomOnLine in match play ammy -- I was playing powerstroke at the time -- and had never played ammy before. I figured I'd be able to hang with tom 'cause I wouldn't have to worry about the snap. Wrong! I saw no difference at all between ammy and pro powerstroke and got waxed. If I didn't bother with the snap, if I recall correctly, I didn't get the ball off the the tee area.

So for RR_JimBowie and anyone else who plays ammy and a higher level: do you concern yourself with hitting the snap in Ammy?
KCJammer

Postby tryandtyoneon on Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:10 pm

I try to hit it everytime so I'm not out of sinc when playing elite or champ
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby RR_JimBowie on Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:38 pm

I am the same way... as a matter of fact, most of the time I don't go for the huge swing in ammy even knowing that the ball will still go pretty close to where I aimed it regardless of the bottom snap... simply because I try to keep the same type of swing I would use in pro.
RR_JimBowie

Postby Buffalobill on Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:23 pm

I'm guessing there was a little more beer consumed before and during the ammy rounds
Buffalobill

Postby RR_JimBowie on Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:48 pm

You may have something there Carey... except I think you got it backwards!
RR_JimBowie

Postby canuck on Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:38 am

hmmm,the buffalo are returning :shock:
canuck

Postby RoyHiggi on Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Same as Try and Brad for me. I would aim to be close top and bottom.
RoyHiggi

Postby Westview on Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:38 pm

What about when you hit a power dot past 12:00 into the red?
In Pro Champ and Elite, the penalty is very severe if you miss the 6:00 snap when hitting into the red.
Is there also a more severe penalty in Amature?
Nothing can escape the law of Karma
Westview

Postby BruceWallace on Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:56 pm

Westview wrote:What about when you hit a power dot past 12:00 into the red?
In Pro Champ and Elite, the penalty is very severe if you miss the 6:00 snap when hitting into the red.
Is there also a more severe penalty in Amature?

No, there is no penalty like in Pro, Champ, and Elite. No matter what mode I play, I always try to hit the 6 snap, even with lots of overswing, at the top, in amateur.
BruceWallace

Postby RoyHiggi on Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:06 pm

As far as I am aware miss the snap at the bottom in pro by the smallest margin and sometimes it will not affect the accuracy of the shot but if it does it will be by a relatively small margin. The difference that if it is a shot with a sand wedge it doesnt matter much but the same miss with a 3w can make plenty of difference at the other end.
If you then go a lot into the red at the top and still miss by a tad at the bottom the miss will be by a bigger margin. In pro though you probably don't lose any distance or at least not a significant amount.
The champ scenario and even worse in elite is that as Jim says the penalty becomes severe and in distance loss as well as accuracy. It simply does not pay to go for extra power unless the snap is good.
From my amateur play I would have to say I have absolutely no experience of extra power affecting a shot at all. As I said before I would never look for big power shots except when those few extra yards are needed on a par 5 and I would always look for the 6 oclock snaps so expect to be closish. I do hit past 12 a lot of the time and I do miss 6 a lot too but havent noticed a thing. I am sure that big misses at the bottom would be asking for trouble on shorter clubs whether the top snap is in the red or not but I can't see why anyone would go for big power shots at all unless as I say unless its a par 5 with a longer club. Am I missing a time when it would help??
RoyHiggi

Postby Westview on Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:00 pm

It seems to me the only time you would want to go into the red is with the driver.
I really can't see anone going into the red on a club other than the driver, when they can just go up 1 club instead. But who knows, maybe there is a reason and some people do it.

Does anyone ever go into the red with a club other than a driver?
Nothing can escape the law of Karma
Westview

Postby duffer123 on Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:54 pm

I do a lot with irons if say the shot is 166 or 167 I use a 160 club and hit it inthe red and it
helps a lot but then I have trouble hitting short
duffer123

Next

Return to Talk About It