The Ladies Open at St Andrews

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

The Ladies Open at St Andrews

Postby IBHackin on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:54 pm

I was just looking at the 1st day results of the ladies and saw that the course is set up as a par 73. They turned the 17th into a par 5 for the ladies. Just found that interesting. It's only playing 453 yards, so it is quite short. Both the other par 5s are playing over 500yd.

Have a great day everyone.

Steve
IBHackin

Postby DennisHarris on Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:37 pm

It is interesting for sure. The majority of the gals average 250 to 270 off the tee. A couple of the gals like Laura Davies and Brittany Lincicome hit it farther but more than a few of the gals like Ai Miyazato hit it 240 max. So changing the 17th to a 453 yard par 5 will add some drama on the finishing holes come sunday.

I also think the R&A wants the gals playing a slightly different British Open course than the men do. For obvious reasons.

Go Lorena Ochoa, Paula Cramer and Ai Miyazato.
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby kracken on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:20 pm

I think it should play a Par 4 and let them tee off a little closer. I know the announcers stated that they moved the tee back as far as they could for the Par 5. But they also said they thought it should be played as a Par 4. I think that would be a great finish for Sunday. :wink:
Kracken
kracken

Postby DennisHarris on Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:07 pm

Well now that the Womens British Open is completed. It appears the R&A and St. Andrews staff made a great choice by changing the par 4 17th into a par 5 for the womens open. Yes there were 5 Eagles on Thursday, 2 more on Friday and one each Saturday and Sunday. But the change was not the blood bath many thought it would be. So changing the 17th into a par 5 proved to be a brilliant move by the staff at St Andrews.

Congratulations to Lorena Ochoa on her first major and the 2007 Womens British Open Champion at St. Andrews.

It was a special day for Paula Creamer as she celebrated her 21st birthday playing the final round of the Womens British Open at St. Andrews. What could be better than that.
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby Westview on Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:28 pm

DennisHarris wrote:
It was a special day for Paula Creamer as she celebrated her 21st birthday playing the final round of the Womens British Open at St. Andrews. What could be better than that.

Ah yes, the pink panther! I see she tied for 7th place, very respectable finish. :D
I noticed Michelle Wie missed the cut. What's up with her? Did she just have some bad luck this tournament, or is this her typical score now? :? I haven't been following Womens golf this season, so I'm out of the loop. :oops:
Nothing can escape the law of Karma
Westview

Postby GaryTaylor on Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:34 pm

Westview wrote:
DennisHarris wrote:

Ah yes, the pink panther! I see she tied for 7th place, very respectable finish. :D
I noticed Michelle Wie missed the cut. What's up with her? Did she just have some bad luck this tournament, or is this her typical score now? :? I haven't been following Womens golf this season, so I'm out of the loop. :oops:

Michelle Wie's average score this year must be somewhere around 80. I think she has been under par only 2 times. I think playing the mens tour so many times really messed her up........
GaryTaylor

Return to Talk About It