Larry i don't need a nurse maid trying to help me with my
thoughts. Your post is an insult . Guess we disagree on this just
like the conveyor belt.

Doug :wink:
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby ErnieB on Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:44 pm

Dr_Dave wrote:
RoyHiggi wrote:Sorry to be wrong Dave. What did you mean then when you said "Not bad so far Joe, they haven't played the ammy side yet "

Trust me Roy, no matter how in depth I was explaining, you wouldn't get it!! But I do appreciate you proving the validity of my previous comment.

"Any elite player should be able to score well in an ammy tournament. But an ammy player not accustomed to elite play?? The combined score of that person in my opinion would be non competitive."

Dave.

Take the bag off your head and breathe.

:lol:

ErnieB

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:50 pm

Doug , this might be asking for trouble but here goes.
1) You ask am i doing something different and i think the answer is no except for possibly 2 things. First in soft green condits I might aim for rough from the T to make the approach easier. I don't know if many others would do that ( and yes it goes away from my golf sim preferences).That might save the odd shot in a round but almost exclusively it only applies to soft greens. The alternative method would be to lay back even to 200 yards rather than within 80 to avoid spin. Obviously some will play 1/2 or 3/4 shots but I don't know any of those. I like to hit full shots all the time if I can.
Second would probably be to simply make less mistakes on approaches so the putting isnt tested too much. Sorry if that sounds wrong but I believe every hole can be birdied or eagled if reachable and thus any which are parred are the result of a mistake. Some mistakes can be rectifies by a chip in or a great putt but a par I would say is a mistake.

There are many excellent players here , ammy pro or whatever who know how to make any given shot. many mistakes in pro and above levels are down to a miss snap but in ammy I guess it will mostly be down to hitting the wrong power into the green and in some down to putting. The approach is the real key as if that is right there is no putt to worry about and obviously that is where all the experience comes in to play most.

I see from you tourney Doug you had 9 pars and a bogey. I know you are a very good player so I am surprised at that plus you missed at least 5 eagle chances on the basis that all the par 5's are reachable each round. Were they down to wrong approach shots or missing putts you think you should have holed?
I did play well and my concentration must have been good but I was actually quite dissappointed in parring 4 holes in the last 20 and 3 on the last round were short putts.

2) You mention multiple hole outs which is quite amusing to me as I do not belive I am that good at getting them. I think they are mostly down to luck anyway. In this tourney I actually only had 3 which in an ammy tourney isnt that many is it?
Round 1 i had 2 where i hit the ball past the pin and they spun back in. Both flukes.
Round 2 I didnt really have any as the 2 par 4 eagles were chip ins. I foyu get into chipping range the chance of holing is massively increased.
Round 3 I had a real fluke duble eagle in windy and the 2 par 4 eagles were putts after I used the wind to get close. Yes I made sure the wind was strong so I could get close.
Round 4 none at all.

I wouldnt say I get hole outs consistently either. I have played many tourneys with none at all. They are bound to happen sometimes though in ammy asits easy to hit close but when they do its that little slice of luck.

3) Charts v Feel. I dont play with charts but obviously masses of experience counts for a great deal. I know instinctively what club/shot to play by changing the set up if needed. Exactly how much difference it makes by going one down on say a 8 ironI don't know but I know near enough to get close to the distance I want. If its a yard or 2 away from what I want i dont mind as the putt should be short. I am sure its the same for many many players.
I do know a PW chip full from the front foot is 30 yards hit 100%. To hit further drag the stance back and to go less hit less than 100%. Is that a chart because I know a shot and can feel/guesstimate distances around it?

4) Also when playing ammy I would not look to hit full ower unless I needed the yards on a par 5. Actually when I try for full power I usually miss.I try to play to just past 12 on every shot.Try to anyway.

5) On putting as I say I try hard to get close and not be tested.Murray has put up some stats where i have 3 outside 20 feet out of 181 goes. I cannot see how holing putts inside 10 feet is an issue. Really to miss a short one like thatI would be mortified. It should be 100% and I really cannot see that any other way. I believe I can see most putts except for firm/fast which always cause me problems as they did again at BayHill this week.

Not sure if all that waffle helps Doug.
RoyHiggi

Postby terrell on Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:05 pm

RoyHiggi wrote:I cannot see how holing putts inside 10 feet is an issue. Really to miss a short one like thatI would be mortified.

lol. sorry, roy, but that was really, really funny. first, thank you very much for sharing tips. us old guys know you're a stand up guy, and you've got a real gift. you don't need to explain yourself to the delirious few.

the reason it's funny is because in checking my stats, i see that i've missed 170 v1.05 putts inside 10', and 250 v1.06 putts inside 10'...just this season! what's mortified times 250???
terrell

Postby tryandtyoneon on Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:10 pm

terrell wrote:
RoyHiggi wrote:I cannot see how holing putts inside 10 feet is an issue. Really to miss a short one like thatI would be mortified.

lol. sorry, roy, but that was really, really funny. first, thank you very much for sharing tips. us old guys know you're a stand up guy, and you've got a real gift. you don't need to explain yourself to the delirious few.

the reason it's funny is because in checking my stats, i see that i've missed 170 v1.05 putts inside 10', and 250 v1.06 putts inside 10'...just this season! what's mortified times 250???

Sorry guys, but the inside 10' stat isn't an issue, but being 100% from outside of 20'...and 30' kinda jumped at me.

Edit:....one other thing before I'm thrown out, I've always had the "windy" wind in my face atleast once, more often twice, on Par 5's to eliminate eagle chances, but yet you eagle all 4 on a regular basis. I'm not judging..........just askin'
Last edited by tryandtyoneon on Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Delirious

Postby MasterMontgomery on Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:17 pm

terrell:
Im not delirious, but i do fall in the few category.
Proud of it too.
8)

Doug
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:54 pm

try, basing a player scoring critique on the results of three long putts is a statistical stretch. roy has his ups and downs like all the the rest of us. the difference between a stud player and the rest of us is that his "downs" are similar to the best scores that the rest of us put up. lw

Postby tryandtyoneon on Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:08 pm

.[/quote]

you don't need to explain yourself to the delirious few.

[/quote]

Thx T, but delirious might just be thinking the answer to all problems is an uninstall/ reinstall

As for Roy, countless times, through pm's or otherwise, he's questioned how I could possibly be having fun with ammy, so to question his ability to play the way he does is well within my rights.......So as polite as I can............[censored] off

Edit:........they censored " your way" ??Image

tryandtyoneon

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:29 pm

like try, some members have had a problem with players who can excell at every level. those of us who have played the links tour for many years have long ago given up speculating as to why players enjoy playing at am or any other level. getting the ball in the hole is our common denominator.

historically, the stud players [not just roy] have usually dusted am fields whenever they have showed up. lw

Postby JackRussellTerror on Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:10 pm

tryandtyoneon wrote:.......So as polite as I can............[censored] off

......."your way off" >>>> nup, not censored

[censored] off >>> yep, censored ! :wink:

LMAO
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby RoyHiggi on Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:28 am

T maybe mortified was a little strong but I would add a couple of things. I did mention that I have difficulty on f/fast and if you add tricky greens ( say Cambrian) missing from inside 10 feet would be much more common.On 1.06 I believe green speeds are much quicker so short putts would be even harder putting a greater emphasis on the approach being not only close but on the "right " side.

But tell me if you miss from say 7 feet how do you feel?

Try , there were only 3!! and I see at Chateau 1 was only 21 feet which isnt very long and especially if there wasn't much of a break which is the key diffficulty on longer putts. From memory I think I had very little and therefore I would expect to hole them because the hard part of the long putts is hitting the 6 snap - not an issue on amateur. The 30+ one I think was on 15 where the ball sat nicely under the hole and virtually straight.
RoyHiggi

Postby RoyHiggi on Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:34 am

I forgot the windy point. On Chateau I think the wind has always been the same for the par 5's when I have played it.
Hole 1 wind across
Hole 7 wind against but still recahable in 2 with two massive hits
Hole 9 wind against or half against but reachable in either
Hole 18 wind across

And for the back 9 par 4's 11 to 15 wind with. From the many rounds played there I have never seen anything different and scores suggest the same for everybody else as well.
RoyHiggi

Postby terrell on Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:32 am

JackRussellTerror wrote:

LMAO

oh yeah. i wish i had a nickel for everytime i've been told to 'your way off'. (8

just to set the record straight, i have no issues with anyone asking roy (or anyone else) how he does it. asking the studs for playing tips has been a staple here (along with them being kind enough to take the time to give them, they don't have to) since the beginning of time. my issue was with a particular personal post towards roy that was just way off base, as well as being a totally incorrect assessment of his character (but if i were a stud player, you better believe i'd be absolutely (more so) insufferable). i'd bet the farm roy doesn't have a conceited bone in his body (roy, click the paypal button at http://www.terrell.com).

RoyHiggi wrote:But tell me if you miss from say 7 feet how do you feel?

a coupla days ago, i had a 4 foot birdie putt, relatively easy, but a small break to it. i was kinda undecided about 'do i let the break take it, or do i ram it home?'. i was careless, and had aimed outside the cup, then hit the snap a hair early. the result was i had a 15 footer left for par. i missed it, and had a 10 footer coming back for bogey. 'missed that too.

the really sad thing is i EXPECT to miss 7 footers, and i'm just happy when i make 'em. but i don't expect to 4 putt from 4 feet. but it happens way too often. and that's why you find me at the bottom of most leaderboards. but i've long since come to accept it.
Last edited by terrell on Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
terrell

Postby tryandtyoneon on Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:41 am

terrell wrote:
JackRussellTerror wrote:

LMAO

oh yeah. i wish i had a nickel for everytime i've been told to 'your way off'. (8

just to set the record straight, i have no issues with anyone asking roy (or anyone else) how he does it. asking the studs for playing tips has been a staple here (along with them being kind enough to take the time to give them, they don't have to) since the beginning of time. my issue was with a particular personal post towards roy that was just way off base, as well as being a totally incorrect assessment of his character (but if i were a stud player, you better believe i'd be absolutely (more so) insufferable). i'd bet the farm roy doesn't have a conceited bone in his body (roy, click the paypal button at http://www.terrell.com).

All's good.........just wasn't sure if I was the delirious few..........back to the drama

tryandtyoneon

Postby terrell on Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:49 am

tryandtyoneon wrote:All's good.........just wasn't sure if I was the delirious few..........back to the drama

yeah, maybe i shoulda just spit it out to begin with. beating around the b u s h isn't my style. but i respect everyone's opinion in this thread, and decided to go the obtuse route. (8
terrell

PreviousNext

Return to Talk About It