US Bank Championship - Am

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

US Bank Championship - Am

Postby Dr_Dave on Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:28 am

Nice to see you grace our humble tourney Roy :) But as you can see there is no domination here. :wink:
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby RoyHiggi on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:58 am

:lol: Predictable Dave and interesting you posted this week and not after I played one last week :lol:
I played in one each of the last 2 weeks to see if it would confirm what I thought. Last week on a 4 different course tourney in trickier conditions , one windy round , and this week on just 1 course with 3 no wind rounds. And yes it confirmed that to win in the flat no wind type conditions of course you have to play very well but most of all you have to get the hole out breaks. Like many , probably most other players , I peppered the hole and hit the pin a number of times but got nothing at all to drop in 4 rounds. I don't think I got any pars at all but just couldnt get the extra eagles. Well played Rob in getting everything right.

Anyway Dave I noticed more were playing pro than amateur and thought I would balance it up by one. :wink:

But I reckon having had a look I will stick to the other tournaments. Just got beaten twice by Giller in champ this week so will have to get back to the practice ground there for next week. Excellent play Col.
RoyHiggi

Postby Hittman on Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:27 pm

A compliment from the Master is always appreciated Roy.....Considering you had only 10 approach shots between 10 and 20 feet, you had them pretty well dialed in....

My Links game is much like a roller coaster, for every up, guaranteed there will be a down....

Gr8 shooting Dave.....and that circle on my back will be easy pickings in next weeks' PLSA

gl to all
Rob
Hittman

Postby Dr_Dave on Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:03 pm

Actually I didn't notice you played last week Roy, I don't leader-board surf. Usually I only play 1 and occasionally 2 LSN tournaments. I still get a big kick out playing the funners using voice, it's much more personable. Links has something for everyone and that's why we're all still here :D

Thanks Rob but I didn't hit em good this week, left a few out there and I see that you picked them up. Nice win!! 8)
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby RoyHiggi on Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:56 pm

hahahahaha
RoyHiggi

Postby tryandtyoneon on Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:44 pm

so to recap, you proved that to win in those conds, ya need to be lucky, and now you're going back to where you need only to be good to win.......I understand now :roll:

Curious, if ya'd eagled the par 5 you missed and jarred one or 2 from the fairway, what would have been the conclusion? With 5 HIO's yourself, it seems you get "lucky" a fair amount.
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby Giller on Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:10 pm

Thanks Roy, my turn this week is all.

Personally, I don't know why you bother with those grip it and rip with yer eyes closed hackfests in ammy, it's just too easy.
Giller

Postby tryandtyoneon on Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:17 pm

Giller wrote:Thanks Roy, my turn this week is all.

Personally, I don't know why you bother with those grip it and rip with yer eyes closed hackfests in ammy, it's just too easy.

the game, or winning a tournament??.......easy would be playing an event where there are only 30 some odd people and other than you and Roy, that next competitor is 20 strokes behind, so if you're out for W's........stick to where you are
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:13 am

Murray , what I felt it proved was that to win a no wind ammy tourney you need to have luck in those rounds. Plenty of players are good enough to get the perfect scores ( or close enough) i.e all eagles and birds , in those conditions thus the deciding factor will be the good fortune in those rounds with hole outs.

I 100% agree in those conditions it is not easy at all to win a tournament. And yes if I had 5 hole outs or whatever and won I I could have been the lucky one. If I have had 5 HIO's in pro so far I have been lucky 5 times.

But if you add into amateur tourneys tough sloping fways and greens and substitute wind for no wind rounds then there is less lyuck involved in who wins the events. That's all I was saying Murray , sounds right doesnt it?

Of course we all play what we want when we want and that's the beauty of this game. If playing amateur (grip it and rip with yer eyes closed hackfests in ammy as per the earlier post!) is all you want then great but there is much more to Links .

Playing champ or elite I feel is much less about winning and much more about the challenge of the game itself. The challenge of course management and trying to stay in play off the T. Of having to manufacture all sorts of recovery shots and trying to get a par or avoid double/triple bogeys. Of chalenging sand shots and where putting needs precision on the bottom snap and not just the top. If there is a scoring challenge to win an event then all the better , like this week where I lost the 2 champ events to Giller.

I expect Powerstrokers to feel exactly the same about their game.
RoyHiggi

Postby Dr_Dave on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:38 am

Forget it Murray it's like talking to a wall, they only understand their way of playing Links, everything else is just nonsense to them. Half the conversation will be here and the rest comes in PM's where there will be be more one-sided babble. Trust me when I say it's a total waste of time!!!
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby driftwood on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:02 am

any stlyle or level of play that involves wind is a crap shoot, involving luck.

starting with different directions and intensity for different players, simply because
they can't be the same.

i know some players regularly score -18 -20 in wind, but i can't help but wonder
does the meter never change in the middle of their swing?

does it never help on par fives?

is not a missed snap exaggerated when missed on the wind side?

these things cause me to spend a lot of time in water, shooting from behind trees
and out of sand.

wind may be a lot of things, but it is not a test of skill

dean
driftwood

Postby Dr_Dave on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:00 am

driftwood wrote:any stlyle or level of play that involves wind is a crap shoot, involving luck.

starting with different directions and intensity for different players, simply because
they can't be the same.

i know some players regularly score -18 -20 in wind, but i can't help but wonder
does the meter never change in the middle of their swing?

does it never help on par fives?

is not a missed snap exaggerated when missed on the wind side?

these things cause me to spend a lot of time in water, shooting from behind trees
and out of sand.

wind may be a lot of things, but it is not a test of skill

dean

Dean these two comments are contractive, "play that involves wind is a crap shoot, involving luck", "some players regularly score -18 -20 in wind". Luck and the law of average just don't work that way. There is a skill and understanding of the game at every level of Links that enable players to shoot good scores regularly. But there are some individuals that feel their game is the only way it should be played. You will notice this in the condescending remarks they make in the forum.

I personally have a respect for the ability of individual's who have perfected their game at all levels, however, that respect does not automatically roll over to that person's character.
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:28 am

Dave Dave , it's all about views and opinions. The only issue we have disagreed upon is whether amateur in no wind is a bigger challenge than say pro champ or elite. You have agreed with me on some issues in pm's you have sent but you won't on the forum here. That's fine. I have challenged where the hardest challenge in this game is but have never said the game should only be played at any given level and expressed a sadness for very good players to play simply at the easiest level. But each to their own as we always say.

I happen to genuinely think that playing the harder levels is more fun as well as more challenging and we have seen some agreeing and some disagreeing.

Anyway the wind issue is interesting Dean and Dave has already part answered for me. On the wind direction aspect I believe the wind directions are almost always the same for every player. Yes it is true it can be diffferent for 1 to another but from yrs of experience it is very very rare. It switches around from fully behind to 1/2 across/behind but hardly ever will you get 1 player with wind full behind and another wind full against. Maybe it has happened but I am sure it would be vvvvvvvv rare.

As for intensity , well that is perhaps when a little patience comes in. I don't mean sitting around for minutes but I do wait on occasion for the wind to change strength. Common sense says that if you cant get to a green in two with full wind against then you will wait a little for it to die down a little. I am sure anyone would whather in Links or IRL!

I sure as hell don't wait on the wind on many shots a round. 4 or 5 maybe and reckon I can still finish most windy rounds in approx. 30 minutes. So I feel that the intensity issue is a red herring. If however you want to grip and rip and ignore the wind strength then good luck to you but I would say it is crazy play and it sounds like you wouldnt be bothered about whether you score well or not anyway.

I read somewhere recently that once a swing is started the wind speed/direction doesn't change. If that's true that answers your second point. and it would be the same for evryone. Personally I feel it can and it does on me regularly.

Does it never help on par 5's? Not sure what the point is here but wind helps on some and not on others. That's life.

Miss snaps exagerated when missed on the wrong side? I wouldn't have thought so and personally I have never noticed anything. If you think it does then try harder not to miss on the wind side.

Playing in wind I have no doubt is an experience thing as much as anything but definitely not a crap shoot.
RoyHiggi

Postby driftwood on Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:10 am

roy, if you have played off-line match play where your opponent
sends you his recorded round to play against you know what i mean
about windy rounds. sometimes it is down-right funny to watch your
wind meter while your opponent shoots, because good or bad,
the results are often conflicting. your meter may show a tail wind, and
he only drives it 240 yds on a shot that should carry 290.

as far as wind change on the approach, an alteration in intensity or
direction after your set-up can mean the difference between a 6 ft putt
and a 26 foot putt.

dean
driftwood

Postby ErnieB on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:19 pm

You v1.05 guys krack me up. :lol: :twisted: :P :wink:
ErnieB

Next

Return to Talk About It