lspn player population as of last week

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

lspn player population as of last week

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:55 am

a member at LC put up a poll asking what kind of links player each member was (rts champ, pro click etc). the sample so far is about 100 replies. but before that all came in, i did a quick survey of lspn players, based on those who had qualified for ranking on the lspn tour, and posted it on the LC poll thread. and i figured i might as well post the results here also since the lspn membership is the sample population.

as of last week we had 495 ranked players (excluding the 2k1 guys). there are not that many actual players because there is probably about a 10% overlap of players playing both 1.05 and 1.06, and players competing at more than one difficulty level, which based on past stats are often the very good players with a few exceptions.

after six weeks of tour competition, the lspn population shakes out thusly:

elite all catagories, 2.6% (21 players)

champ click, 8.6% (43)

pro click, 42% (209)

am click, 29% (143)

rts all catagories, 11% (53)

1.06 all catagories, 7% (34)

this represents a large gain for 1.05 pro click, and follows the trend of the last two indiebuilt seasons as am shrinks and pro gets larger. the numbers for the higher difficulty levels and rts are almost exactly proportional to the numbers at the end of the indiebuilt site. the 1.06 number is a new stat.

interestingly, while some complained about the LC poll being biased toward click players and other details, no one has commented on these conclusive numbers based on a much larger sample.

i was surprised at the 1.06 number which i thought would be smaller. i don't expect it to get much over 10% as we go along, but you never know.

also, the lspn site has been getting a steady increase in ranked members every week at every level. lw

Postby ErnieB on Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:40 am

FYI, there are also 11 ranked players here (all categories) who play Powerstroke.
ErnieB

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:00 am

ernie, while you are of course correct, the PS guys are at 2%, exactly the same as every indiebuilt season. while they are surely not in human terms insignificant (the tour still supports PS), statistically PS does not move the numbers for the other classifications in any way. i also ignored the 2k1 guys, who are also significant human beings, but their numbers are not relevant to the main tour 2k3 population. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Re: lspn player population as of last week

Postby Dr_Dave on Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:08 am

quote: interestingly, while some complained: unquote

Hey Larry, throw that in as a category and you'll have the highest percentage of all. :wink:

Interesting info...thanks for the compilation.
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:41 am

doc, interestingly, there was no am voting catagory on the LC poll, but no am players showed up to complain. i, as a champ click player, had to point out this gaffe in the poll methodology, considering the significant am player population on the lspn site which outnumbers all the lspn elite, champ, rts, and 1.06 populations combined. as i remarked in earlier posts, there are a lot of players who just show up and play, and the am players seem to fit that bill, and mostly don't waste their time posting much hot air (especially on polls at LC). lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby DennisHarris on Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:30 pm

I think, for the most part, anyway, the folks who post at LC on a regular basis are a totally different type of Links player. Kind of like the Cadillac/Towncar, wine/Tea drinking crowd, where we here at LSPN are more the working class Buick/Toyota driving, beer drinking crowd.
So IMO not including an amateur voting category in a poll is not surprising or even a gaffe.
I seriously doubt if many players who post at LC even consider playing tournaments offered here at LSPN.

Not knocking either the LC or LSPN crowd mind you. Just stating a difference in philosophy between the two does seem to exist.

Interesting %'s Larry, but not surprising based on former stats, that pro and Ammy are clearly the most popular difficulty levels of choice here at LSPN. The trend continues.
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby tryandtyoneon on Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:20 pm

After seeing the amount of arcade events that are completely full, I wonder how many of those players aren't playing official events.While those percentages represent the ranked population here, it seems there are those here that will never be ranked.

If you want player turn out to be at a maximum, it's time to bring back the ROR, LOL etc.
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:29 am

the arcade events are exactly, in some cases, what the old LOL events were. no one got points except the winner (and the stats didn't count toward ranking), so most players were playing for fun, just as they are now.

those players who only played LOLs would never be ranked anyway, because they would have no stats.

so why burden the tour with a catagory of events that are already being fully served by the arcade?

based on arcade numbers previous to the tour starting operations again, the current ranked tour population is actually a bit larger than i would have predicted. at this point, the addition of any particular event(s) is not going to suddenly make it rain ranked members. the population will slowly grow as new guys continue to discover the tour, and old vets find that things are finally up and running again.

each lspn tour level except champ, which remained the same, had a 9% increase in ranked players last week. lw

Postby JackRussellTerror on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:34 am

tryandtyoneon wrote:If you want player turn out to be at a maximum, it's time to bring back the ROR, LOL etc.

.........and Outlast events ! :D

that'll bring em outa the woodwork :lol:

man! i loved those Outlasts. P R E S S U R E on every shot ! :(

:wink:
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Ammys don't vote.

Postby Roughrider on Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:48 am

Ammys don't vote, do they? They wouldn't be bothered to vote, would they? I don't think so.
RR
Roughrider

Re: Ammys don't vote.

Postby Dr_Dave on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:43 pm

Roughrider wrote:Ammys don't vote, do they? They wouldn't be bothered to vote, would they? I don't think so.
RR

Nope, voting is for sissies, we just play and let our clubs do the speaking! 8)
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Return to Talk About It