9TH @ edgbaston

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby Tresclub on Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:23 am

Larry_Warrilow wrote:there was another apcd from about three years ago that had the same type of (solid object) tee markers (wellington?), where i learned the hard way. i've given all tee markers some leeway since then. lw

I remember one like that that had oversized square boxes as tee markers. Like you, I found out the hard way they were solid. Can't remember what course it was.

Warren

btw... just checked, it wasn't Wellington, at least not on the first tee
"I don't play golf, because when I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it." - Rogers Hornsby
Tresclub

Postby ErnieB on Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:59 pm

Larry_Warrilow wrote:there was another apcd from about three years ago that had the same type of (solid object) tee markers (wellington?), where i learned the hard way. i've given all tee markers some leeway since then. lw

I've been dragging the aiming stick across tee markers (to detect any elevation change) for a long time now.... (fool me twice, shame on me :lol: )
ErnieB

Postby DennisHarris on Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:54 pm

Larry/Try,

The Hit Tee marker with ball got me thinking, and thats always dangerous. LMAO!

First I must say that a solid tee markers certainly explains the problem footwedge had. Great Call.

Now here is where my thinking comes into play, I told you that was dangerous :P . When I played golf in real life the tee markers were certainly solid objects. And I stayed far enough away to not hit them. Do the same in this game. So if tee markers are solid objects IRL, then why are they not solid objects in the Links golf game. :roll: To me it seems kind of odd we can hit through tee box marker in the Links game but not in real life is all. Not so realistic IMO.

Now a Question: Who knows the answer? IRL if a players ball or club hits the Tee marker is that a penalty? If So what is it?
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby JackRussellTerror on Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:40 pm

Now a Question: Who knows the answer? IRL if a players ball or club hits the Tee marker is that a penalty? If So what is it?

at first guess Dennis without deeeeep thinking, i would say its no penalty and play on from where the ball deflected to. ie "tough luck pal".

what happens if your T shot hits the ball washer at the end of the T ? same ruling "tough luck pal, play from where it lies".

:?
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby Curt40 on Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:12 pm

I can confirm that the tees at Edgbaston, as in real life as Dennis said, are solid objects. Shots hit just left or right of them should miss and only direct shots should rebound off. I did make the tees visible enough to see though. :lol:

As for the invisible trees that have been mentioned, I have no answer - nothing came up in testing and no player on any other tour has mentioned experiencing such a thing. I myself have played nigh on 100 rounds at Edgbaston and haven't experienced any invisible trees that suddenly appear in front of the ball after landing.

I'm glad you're finding a use for my course though and hope that at least some of you are enjoying playing there.

Oh, and a word of warning for those who play it - my next course will have solid 3D tee markers so watch out. :P
Curt40

Postby fishn on Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:33 am

[As for the invisible trees that have been mentioned, I have no answer /]

ahhh the dreaded invisible trees, theres a simple answer to that. when designers use trees other than stock trees that come with the APCD program there is no topview representation. if any of the trees you used were taken from another course or you used trees of your own making you have to design a topview of them or use 1 of the stock topview reps........
fishn

Postby Curt40 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:43 am

I am fully aware of that, otherwise there would be very few trees showing in top view. Many of the trees I used were custom trees, some my own others from fellow designers. It would help if those raising such issues would specify, preferably with screenshots, which trees. The readme contained my email address for anyone wishing to notify me of errors. It's a first design and nobody claimed it was perfect, but the issues that have been raised were either intentional or were not noticed in testing and have never been brought to my attention. :roll:
Curt40

Postby fishn on Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:48 am

no worries curt you did a great job on the course unfortunately its just 1 of those little annoyances .....fish

i wish i could remember the name of the course but there was 1 made that had no trees at all in the top view but the course looked like it was cut out of a forest needless to say it was a challenge to play lol........
fishn

Previous

Return to Talk About It