Poll ended at Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:31 pm

Don't mind them
56%
Don't like playing them
43%

Total votes : 93

Windy Rounds

Postby Dr_Dave on Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:31 pm

If you don't comment your vote is anonymous. Otherwise feel free to speak you mind. :D
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby Matrix on Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:43 pm

I like tourneys that are 1 windy, round 1 no wind round, and 2 breezy rounds, mix in any combo of green conds and you have IMO the perfect mix for a fun and challanging tourney!
Matrix

Postby AZWilly on Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:45 pm

I just need to remember to add a bit of space for it (though I used to hit the draw or slice into it ). Chipping with a cross wind is a bugaboo for me :oops:
patience is a virtue few possess
AZWilly

Postby FixAmer1st on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:05 pm

For some reason I have never had a lot of trouble with Windy Rounds. Maybe because I do not shy-away/fear them I can play them relaxed. I could play 4 Windy rounds and enjoy them all.

Jerry
Last edited by FixAmer1st on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
My apologies for plagiarizing Mel Brooks but "It’s GOOD to Play Links!"
FixAmer1st

Postby Tresclub on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:24 pm

Have never liked breezy, windy, hurricanes, tornadoes, hail, sleet, snow, ice, etc. That being said, will play in any weather when required. 8)
"I don't play golf, because when I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it." - Rogers Hornsby
Tresclub

Postby DennisHarris on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:36 pm

I struggle with windy conditions. So I wont say I love windy, however that does not stop me from playing it. I have always played specific events and if a Windy round was contained in those events so be it. I care less about what the conditions are for the events I play. Windy is simply part of the the game. An evil part of the game for me on most occasions .... but my good windy rounds give me a lift and when I score well its sweet. Windy is not evil it just challenging. Well ...... ok mosty evil
Last edited by DennisHarris on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

long

Postby MasterMontgomery on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:43 pm

I will play the the windy and sometimes i do
quite well. But my complaint is that it takes me too
long to play the windy rounds. Probably twice as long
as a no wind or breezy. But that is just me. :lol:

Doug
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby JackRussellTerror on Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:16 pm

voted Don't Mind Them

have always hated windy for the sole fact that ima not going to shoot low scores as i could potentially do in calm/breezy. 8, 9, 10 under looks yuk compared to 14 ---> 18 unders in breezy/calm pro click.

had a coupla really good windy rounds as of late (14 unders) and was exstatic :D

now i find windy rounds a real challenge.........when you can drift the ball in with a 4 iron, wind quartering into you from left or right and you plop it 5 feet pin hi. i get a high. you need to focus concentrate more in windy.

the thing that sucks with windy tho, is when you have everything set up to pull the trigger, the wind changes speed and direction in an instant and you have to do the maths again. ready to pull that trigger for the 2nd time, it changes AGAIN ! ggrrrrrrrrr lol

my fav combo (in order) is calm/windy/breezy/calm

windy ? bring it onnnn

:wink:
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby Justin_I on Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:40 pm

Happy to play the odd windy round, say average 1 per tournament. Not that I can play them well... tee shots ok, can generally hit the fairway.... but approach shots with a cross wind are a lottery, can never seem to work out how much to off set my aim, generally never enough offset... ya think I'd learn!

I started keeping a Database of scores and conditions a month or so ago, in order to see just how performance varies by conditions, sample is still small at 55 rounds, but based on Wind conditions only:

None Ave = -8.91 Ave FW=11.7 Avg Putts =24.7
Breezy Ave = -6.87 Ave FW=11.2 Avg Putts =25.2
Windy Ave = -0.38 Ave FW=11.9 Avg Putts =28.9

As I said I can't play Windy, but I keep trying! Fairways hit are same as other conditions, but as approach shots are off, putt count is up.

Justin
Justin_I

Postby RR_Desperado on Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:00 pm

The main reason I don`t like windy is it is too exagerated. Secondly, I would like it better if it was not possible to wait it out. We all know that if you wait long enough , it will die down to breezy and there is no way I will sit and do that. Therefore I am at an immediate handicap to the nincompoops that do.
If Mark were to be able to go into the game and make the wind more consistent and make it so one couldn`t wait it out, I`d be more apt to be willing to play it !!
Mind you, some of the players who wait for windy to die down to breezy standards will also wait out breezy until it becomes close to no wind.
RR_Desperado

Postby Cheezer on Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:10 pm

Desperado has said it all. I agree 100% :wink:
Cheezer

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:26 pm

A lot of good sense has been talked here. I enjoy windy as I would consider them a real test and whilst they can take a bit longer it shouldnt go to double the time or anywhere near an hour for a round. It's a pity there cannot be a time limit for a round!

A question I would add though is where the only way to get an eagle on a hole is maybe to wait for a strong wind to carry some water would you do it? Surely the answer would be yes even for those who don't wait on the majority of shots.
RoyHiggi

Postby Grey_Nomad on Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:55 am

RoyHiggi wrote:A question I would add though is where the only way to get an eagle on a hole is maybe to wait for a strong wind to carry some water would you do it? Surely the answer would be yes even for those who don't wait on the majority of shots.

Oh so true - but in my experience that big strong tail wind peter's out when you really want it and magically accelerates when you don't

I vote 1 windy - now and again

CHEERS

TOM
A bad day on the golf course is better than any day at work

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/515/fab4su0.gif
Grey_Nomad

Postby gibby on Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:16 am

I don't mind them if it's 1per rd and if it's not a firm/fast setting other than that I'll play
gibby

Postby OHNONO on Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:57 am

Windy.,.... off course !! its about the only condition where you have a chance of gaining/loosing strokes on a good/bad day.
OHNONO

Next

Return to Talk About It