Your feeling about windy rounds

Poll ended at Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:31 pm

Don't mind them
56%
Don't like playing them
43%

Total votes : 93

Postby JackRussellTerror on Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:21 pm

Westview wrote:IRL..I like to light up a smoke and see which way the wind blows it.
Best wind direction method ever.
and here's me trying to give up the smokes :cry: LMAO

:lol: :lol: :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Re: I wouldn't go so far as to completely hide wind speed

Postby Dr_Dave on Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:21 pm

[quote You shouldn't be able to wait for a precise value like you can now and freeze it for your shot.[/quote]

Freeze it for your shot? Am I missing something? How do you freeze the wind for your shot?

Westview - Risking dying a slow death from lung cancer doesn't sound like the "Best wind direction method ever" Sorry!
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby HeavySwinger on Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:22 pm

Dr_Dave wrote:[quote You shouldn't be able to wait for a precise value like you can now and freeze it for your shot.

Freeze it for your shot? Am I missing something? How do you freeze the wind for your shot?

Westview - Risking dying a slow death from lung cancer doesn't sound like the "Best wind direction method ever" Sorry![/quote]

OK Doc, ur not going to like this, so take a deep breath and try to chill...it's a lot more difficult in classic than in RTS or PS.

For classic swing, you wait until you get the wind you want and click which will freeze the wind at that value for your shot, of course the swing meter will start immediately so you have to complete your shot right away.

For RTS, you wait until you get the wind you want and click which will freeze the wind at that value for your shot, but unlike classic swing in RTS you can take your time swinging and even if you like abort the swing by right clicking if you didn't catch the wind you want.

For PS, you wait until you get the wind you want and click which will freeze the wind at that value for your shot. At that point the PS swing bar shows up and if you didn't catch the wind you want, you can right click and try again. If you go ahead and click on the PS swing bar to begin your swing, you can no longer right click to abort and you must finish your swing.

I don't like any of these behaviours for the game, I would much prefer that the wind would continue to vary but not be displayed after you click the first time for all the swing types. The wind would then be frozen when you actually hit the ball:
For classic: when you click the last time
For RTS: when you actually hit the ball
For PS: when you click the last time
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby DennisHarris on Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:27 pm

Dave As it was explained to me ... once you click the mouse to start your swing the wind direction and intensity is locked in place until the shot is finished. I think that is what is being implied by the statement "Do not freeze the wind". Allowing the wind direction and intensity to change during the swing and ball flight is what they are saying. A real world phenomena.

I agree you should not be able to wait out the wind for whatever time it takes. However having no period of time allowed to wait for gust of wind to die down is as unrealistic as waiting forever. HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU STOOD OVER YOUR SHOT irl AND HAD A GUST OF WIND COME UP AND YOU BACKED OFF THE SHOT And REGROUPED. So allowing no time between shots is unrealistic too.

A timed shot solution like the PGA and LPGA has to speed up slow play by players would be fair. What the actual amount of time to be alloted between shots I have no idea. Maybe something like 30 seconds or 1 minute between shots would be fair. I have no idea.

Heavyswinger beat me to it. LOL
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby Dr_Dave on Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:05 pm

I guess I'll have to take your word for it. I have never seen my breeze/wind freeze, in fact I have seen it change after I have pulled the trigger. Thanks for the reply, I will try to watch more closely. :)
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby Armand on Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:47 pm

Hehehe ... guys, I was meaning that we'd already know the conditions (no wind, breezy, or windy) from the game setup, but we would not see exactly how much the wind was blowing in the breezy and windy conditions. We'd also see the direction of the breeze/wind, just no meter or intensity for the wind speed. I believe that players would have a pretty good idea how much extra or less club to take for a particular shot, but you couldn't sit around and wait for the breeze or wind to die down. I am guessing that the new "gusty" condition will do what I was/am suggesting to a degree.

Armand
Armand

Postby txTarHeel on Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:56 pm

Dr_Dave wrote:Westview - Risking dying a slow death from lung cancer doesn't sound like the "Best wind direction method ever" Sorry!

All he said was that he liked to "light up" to detect the wind direction. There was no mention of actually inhaling. :lol:
txTarHeel

Postby HeavySwinger on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:03 pm

Armand wrote:Hehehe ... guys, I was meaning that we'd already know the conditions (no wind, breezy, or windy) from the game setup, but we would not see exactly how much the wind was blowing in the breezy and windy conditions. We'd also see the direction of the breeze/wind, just no meter or intensity for the wind speed. I believe that players would have a pretty good idea how much extra or less club to take for a particular shot, but you couldn't sit around and wait for the breeze or wind to die down. I am guessing that the new "gusty" condition will do what I was/am suggesting to a degree.

Armand

I just want Links to be as close to real life as we can get it. I listened to a caddy tell his player on the PGA tour last week to wait until the wind died down (CBS had those microphones well placed). It was on the 18th hole in the final round, and as a result the player waited about 20 seconds and then nailed his shot very close to the pin. May have won him the tournament. So trying to compensate for the wind to some degree is part of the game. There should be reasonable time limits to this activity though. Again the wind indications should be general in nature and not too specific about direction and speed.
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby Westview on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:09 pm

txTarHeel wrote:
Dr_Dave wrote:Westview - Risking dying a slow death from lung cancer doesn't sound like the "Best wind direction method ever" Sorry!

All he said was that he liked to "light up" to detect the wind direction. There was no mention of actually inhaling. :lol:

Yeah he's got ya there Dave. :wink:
Actually, I think a tobacco pipe would work the best. A constant and steady stream of smoke will catch even the most subtle of wind change. A bee smoke fogger would also work pretty good.
Nothing can escape the law of Karma
Westview

Postby BruceWallace on Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:07 pm

HeavySwinger wrote:
Armand wrote:Hehehe ... guys, I was meaning that we'd already know the conditions (no wind, breezy, or windy) from the game setup, but we would not see exactly how much the wind was blowing in the breezy and windy conditions. We'd also see the direction of the breeze/wind, just no meter or intensity for the wind speed. I believe that players would have a pretty good idea how much extra or less club to take for a particular shot, but you couldn't sit around and wait for the breeze or wind to die down. I am guessing that the new "gusty" condition will do what I was/am suggesting to a degree.

Armand

I just want Links to be as close to real life as we can get it. I listened to a caddy tell his player on the PGA tour last week to wait until the wind died down (CBS had those microphones well placed). It was on the 18th hole in the final round, and as a result the player waited about 20 seconds and then nailed his shot very close to the pin. May have won him the tournament. So trying to compensate for the wind to some degree is part of the game. There should be reasonable time limits to this activity though. Again the wind indications should be general in nature and not too specific about direction and speed.

I heard that too, Larry. And his 12' putt for bird did win it for him. Good caddy. :D
BruceWallace

Previous

Return to Talk About It