The RTS Edging Challenge

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby ErnieB on Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:05 pm

BruceWallace wrote:
TA_LaMa_2k6 wrote:Stevie - You'd need more than a CD case to own me, son. LoL.

Give me month of practice at RTS, and I'll own you. :D :D j/k, sort of. And, I never edged.

I used to play RTS quite a bit, but it must be over 2 years now, since I played. I did enjoy RTS, but grew tired of it and went to playing PS, along with click.

Do you need me to e-mail you back those great RTS chipping/putting charts* you sent me a few months ago pard?
:P :lol:

* no fooling, those were excellent charts!
ErnieB

Postby BruceWallace on Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:57 pm

ErnieB wrote:
BruceWallace wrote:
TA_LaMa_2k6 wrote:Stevie - You'd need more than a CD case to own me, son. LoL.

Give me month of practice at RTS, and I'll own you. :D :D j/k, sort of. And, I never edged.

I used to play RTS quite a bit, but it must be over 2 years now, since I played. I did enjoy RTS, but grew tired of it and went to playing PS, along with click.

Do you need me to e-mail you back those great RTS chipping/putting charts* you sent me a few months ago pard?
:P :lol:

* no fooling, those were excellent charts!

Didn't need them after about a month of playing. Actually, I didn't need them much after practicing shots at Golfcom Tees to make those. :D :D :D

If I ever started RTS again, I would have to start at Pro, not Champ.

BTW, how are you doing at RTS?
Last edited by BruceWallace on Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BruceWallace

Postby Westview on Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:07 pm

When I played RTS I never found much difference between Amature and Pro. :?
Do any RTS players notice a big difference between the two?

It seems there is a more noticeable difference between Am and Pro in Click than in RTS.
Nothing can escape the law of Karma
Westview

Postby BruceWallace on Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:35 pm

Westview wrote:When I played RTS I never found much difference between Amature and Pro. :?
Do any RTS players notice a big difference between the two?

It seems there is a more noticeable difference between Am and Pro in Click than in RTS.

I don't think that there really is an Amateur in either RTS or PS. In Ammy in RTS, if you swing wildly, the ball will hook or slice, and in Ammy PS, the ball will also slice or hook, if you miss the snap, one side or the other.

I think that the only real Ammy is in click.
BruceWallace

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:42 pm

whoever is edging at pro, when we did our stat survey of average players at pro click and rts, if the pro rtsers were edging it did them no good at all. the pro clickers buried them in every stat catagory except driving distance (and that includes scoring average). on the other hand at the pro stud level, an rts stud player defeated a click stud player the two times those players showed up in the same mayhem event. so the higher in skill you get at pro, the less the difference in click advantage.

that being said, rts has such an overall advantage at champ and elite that it would be tough to overcome by clickers even if the rtser wasn't edging. if he were edging: fagedaboudit. lw

____
Larry_Warrilow

Postby ErnieB on Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:27 pm

BruceWallace wrote:BTW, how are you doing at RTS?

I am giving it a rest for now pard, but I did stick with it long enough to know that edging is totally unnecessary. One can easily hit the ball dead straight 90% (or more) of the time by simply adjusting the mouse sensitivity settings to where there is as little motion of the mouse needed to make the shot as reasonably possible (and of course learning a motion that can easily be repeated). Lloyd's description of how he swings is pretty much the way I ended up doing it, with around 1/2" to 1" of movement for normal shots (not chipping/putting). The thing I really enjoy about RTS is no more worrying with swing meter stutters because of a low-end PC trying to cope with the 3D objects :lol:.

I also noted very little difference in Pro RTS or Champ RTS, aside from the sidehill lie effect. I think though this is only because it's easy to hit it dead straight. An offline shot will go more offline at Champ than at Pro, but definitely nothing like missing the classic swing champ/elite snap by one fr1gg1n' pixel. :x

As for charts, I decided to "make" my own, picking out my own reference points for chipping and putting, yours steered me in the right direction. And it was around a month that I quit referring to them as well - far less time than I kept my classic swing charts. :wink:
ErnieB

I don't think you can adjust to that extent w/o cheating

Postby HeavySwinger on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:14 pm

RoyHiggi wrote:Hmmmm sounds like on pro lowering the sensitivity helps the straightness but that isn't a great issue on pro v click because you can miss snap on pro and not get much pull / push anyway ( if any at all) BUT if you play champ and it allows an imperfect swing to not affect the shot ( the line of the shot) then it's a big thing .( a big thing when comparing click v RTS anyway)

For me a bad ( imperfect) swing on any mode of play should be a bad swing and should cause a problem unless you allowed for it with your aim. On some courses if you aim at the middle of the fairway and miss the snap , playing champ or elite , by the smallest margin possible you find the rough and that is the way it should.

In my opinion if you amend the sensitivity of the mouse so much that a miss wing has virtually no effect and the ball will still sail down the fairway then that is wrong. It really does sound like you can tweak settings so that a champ RTS T shot can go like an amateur RTS T shot!

OK I should go away and mind my own business but I really feel I would be saying this if I were a champ RTS player. The whole reason for playing champ and elite is to play a harder version of the game surely?

To make my settings method clear, which I only use at pro because it's all I play for RTS, I am only using normal mouse adjustments (i.e., the left/right and back/forth sensitivity is the same). I am not using mouse drivers which allow separate adjustments and/or completely shutting off left/right movement. I would consider that an unfair advantage. Now I have swung a few at champ and elite and my small mis-hits are appropriately exaggerated which I'm fine with and wouldn't mind having that behavior at pro. It would let me work the ball more (fade/draw) and get that better club head speed that you get at champ and elite.
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:22 pm

Hell Larry what have you said!!!!!

"I am not using mouse drivers which allow separate adjustments and/or completely shutting off left/right movement. I would consider that an unfair advantage. "

Are you actually saying it is possible to do that?[/code]
RoyHiggi

I think it is!

Postby HeavySwinger on Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:00 pm

RoyHiggi wrote:Hell Larry what have you said!!!!!

"I am not using mouse drivers which allow separate adjustments and/or completely shutting off left/right movement. I would consider that an unfair advantage. "

My understanding from others who have posted is that Links does not have a detector for perfectly straight shots. I don't have one of these drivers myself I don't think, but I have read or heard about them, they were not specifically done for Links but for gaming in general. It's been awhile, so I'm not sure I could find a link to it.
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby ErnieB on Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:01 pm

RoyHiggi wrote:Hell Larry what have you said!!!!!

ErnieB

Previous

Return to Talk About It