Problem converting "old" Links courses -St. Andrew

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Problem converting "old" Links courses -St. Andrew

Postby btasm on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:04 pm

Ran into this problem and don't know the cause.
I tried playing the official Champ tournament this week at the St. Andrew's courses. When I attempted to join, I was told that I did not have the St. Andrews New Course installed. Indeed, although I thought I had installed the course some time ago after switching computers, I apparently failed to do so since it is not present in my 2003 course manager.
However, I do have Links 2000 currently installed and the New course is loaded there. I then attempted to convert it to 2003. I placed Links 2003 disk 2 into the drive and then I ran the conversion program. But when I did so, after it started, I got a message to the effect that the "path could not be found". The conversion then stopped.
Over the years I've done this many times and never had a problem converting a course, but it's been a while and I've forgotten if there is another step or I've overlooked something. I know that I successfully installed the Old Course and the Jubilee Course which are/were part of Links 2000 and are availabe on 2003, so what's going on here?
btasm

Postby terrell on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:38 pm

didja check the course converter files here:

http://linkscountryclub.com/

it's been a looonnnnggg time since i've converted files myself. several years ago, i copied all my crz's to an external usb drive, and have had no problems since. perhaps someone else has gone through the process recently.
terrell

Postby btasm on Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:09 pm

I will check, but I've never had this problem before. The course converter has always been part of Links 2003 and I've converted the courses that way.
Addedum: The message I get is : Cannot open converter file: D/convert/standnew.cvt.
btasm

Postby btasm on Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:15 pm

Terrel: Thanks. It worked. But I've never needed to do that before. Can't understand how things changed. And I've got Links course floppies that go back to the stone age which I've installed countless times without a hitch.
btasm

Postby terrell on Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:23 pm

lol. same here, b. i donated all my floppies, excluding the links stuff, of course, to a local school ages ago. they've been sitting on a shelf collecting dust ever since. for some reason, i've got a sentimental streak that just won't quit.

glad ya got it sorted.
terrell

Postby Armand on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:19 pm

I'm glad things are sorted out, btasm, but I'm guessing that the error arose from trying to write a temporary (or other) file to the D:\ drive, which is presumable a CD or DVD drive. I wonder if it would have worked if you had copied the conversion program to your hard drive and then try it?

It's been a long time since I converted anything as well, so this is a stab in the dark (futile, as it may be).

Armand
Armand

Return to Talk About It