Likely Futile RTS request re rankings & tourneys

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby GDI_Coyote on Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:15 am

Would you like to play a tour round sometime duffer?Show ya how to work the ball left or right w/o the presetup fade/draw.

Cheers,

Steve

PS...thank you from me too Mark.
GDI_Coyote

Postby GDI_Coyote on Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:17 am

BTW..."Smaul"...anytime i come in the lobby,i find you there.Maybe you are staring when i get in there to stare?

PS,

su
GDI_Coyote

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:25 am

GDI, as a champ level click player, a preset fade or draw is a very rare shot for me as opposed to my real world golf game. on the other hand (lol), i hit a whole lot more fairways at links than i do irl. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby GDI_Coyote on Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:36 am

Post was intended for akduffer Larry.I certainly didn't mean to imply i can hit more fwys irl than you ;-).It's that new driver i just HAD to have!!!I haven't heard it "ping" yet :(

Steve
GDI_Coyote

Postby Dr_Dave on Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:51 am

Good to know you're an apple/orange advocate Larry. I'm also glad to hear that Mark has helped the RTS folks out by creating events for them. :)

For some strange reason some RTS players somehow equate talking about how the two swing methods cannot truly be compared, to attacking them. I personally think it's great that the game developers came out with alternative methods.

Slow the meter down?? Wow!! I thought that was patched out eons ago. :?
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby OHNONO on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:19 am

TA_LaMa_2k6 wrote:How can you say it doesnt work? It essentially eliminates hitting out of the rough, assuming you know how to aim. It is clearly an advantage over someone who doesnt edge. Once you develop the touch to chip and putt, edging is a huge advantage.

Sry Folks ..... Couldnt agree more !!
Thx Paul , saved me some lines.
O
OHNONO

Postby GDI_Coyote on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:38 pm

Until you have some phenom knocking the top clickers off the top of the heap,what does it matter Ole?Beating a dead horse comes to mind(sorry for that analogy PETA).

Steve
GDI_Coyote

Postby BruceWallace on Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:01 pm

OHNONO wrote:
TA_LaMa_2k6 wrote:How can you say it doesnt work? It essentially eliminates hitting out of the rough, assuming you know how to aim. It is clearly an advantage over someone who doesnt edge. Once you develop the touch to chip and putt, edging is a huge advantage.

Sry Folks ..... Couldnt agree more !!
Thx Paul , saved me some lines.
O

Ole, back in the days when I played RTS, I did not edge, so I don't know (or care) whether or not it was an advantage. I think I even played RTS online (funner) with you, when you played click. I don't remember for sure, but I know I didn't beat you. :D

I was pretty good, without edging. I believe that at the end of the first season of RTS, I was ranked No. 1 or No. 2.

BTW, have you had any contact with our friend Hendrick (sp?) lately? Does he play on the tour here?
BruceWallace

Postby HeavySwinger on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:10 pm

akduffer wrote:In any event, I see that Mark has added an RTS event to the Tour. That is thoroughly appreciated! Though I may be in a fading minority (per LW), RTS is how I started and have continued Links, and it's nice to have an event where it feels like the swing levels, at least, are all the same. As for the straight-edge issue, I've never particularly understood (or cared) how that works, any more than I can get worked up about whether certain clickers have some way to slow down the swing meter. Golf, whether virtual or real, is a very silly game to cheat at -- and as someone wiser than me once noted, it simply "marks the measure and character of a person as to how truly they play and keep score over the course of a round of golf...."

Thanks again, Mark!

Akduffer

I too appreciate the RTS tourney, Thanks Mark.

I really think this post is well stated and I wholeheartedly agree. While thinking about this I came up with an idea which I will pursue in a separate post titled the RTS edging challenge. I will invite any RTS player who edges to a head to head match to see who wins, edging vs non-edging. Should be fun.
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby Harpo on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:18 pm

All you need now is a RTS to admit he edges. :shock:
Jim
Harpo

Postby HeavySwinger on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:52 pm

JimArmstrong wrote:All you need now is a RTS to admit he edges. :shock:

lol Jim, if noone admits and shows up, I will consider that an admission that edgeing doesn't work. I can, of course, play the head to head match in confidence so noone knows who the edgers are.
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby jeff1955 on Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:18 am

Back in the early days of 'decent' PC Golf, almost pre-Links even, the best sim out there was a game called 'The Golf Pro' sponsored by Gary Player and featuring only one course - Wentworth. The ONLY way to play was RTS. When I moved to Links and RTS was available naturally that was the swing type I chose. You don't get good value from a game unless you try all its options - so I attempted click, and PS, Am Pro Champ and Elite. In the end I settled on click simply because it was more convenient. I enjoyed the experience more since I wasn't playing round after round sliding that mouse around every shot. The relative advantages of one swing over another didn't come into it for me. I never have reached the dizzy heights of top of Flight A in any section so the fine distinctions of a tiny 'edge' never affected me.

Jeff
"If only you could see what I have seen with your eyes" - Roy Batty
jeff1955

Postby OHNONO on Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:47 am

GDI_Coyote wrote:Until you have some phenom knocking the top clickers off the top of the heap,what does it matter Ole?Beating a dead horse comes to mind(sorry for that analogy PETA).

Steve

I hear you Steve !
Still im not funned of comparing the skill types , even though I know the Psers have the toughest go. I do SOMETIMES play to win and when im the competitive mode I like to play gainst clickes ONLY! Some courses have huge advantage for some and reverse.
Click vs click , then I know what I play gainst. Even in click I know there are diff "ways" to setup a shot .......... ....... still i can cope with that ! Ive seen it and I dont find it an advantage !
Biggest scoop for me would be a 6 oclock Tee shot ! which some other types " seems" to have.
Just my 10c !

Ole
OHNONO

Previous

Return to Talk About It