Likely Futile RTS request re rankings & tourneys

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Likely Futile RTS request re rankings & tourneys

Postby akduffer on Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:32 pm

Mark -

I know you're doing plenty as it is, with getting new season with rankings, flights, etc. up and running. However, is there any chance that you can create some RTS-only (and Click-only) tourneys and flights? I just don't believe they are quite the same, and IMHO the top clickers are always going to have a fairly significant edge over even the best RTSers. So I know that I for one really enjoy the competitions when they're exclusive to my (RTS) preferred swing style, but it's a little discouraging to get into all-inclusive tourneys with the likes of Roy & his click-brethren.

Thoughts?

Akduffer
akduffer

Postby lstouradmin on Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:30 pm

Yeah, I can do that.
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:06 am

analysis of click and rts stats over the last two full seasons of the old tour showed that there was little difference among the top players at pro whether click or rts, and only a little advantage to the top rtsers at champ.

it is the average clickers at pro who have a significant advantage over the average pro rtser. the reverse is true at champ: the average rtser has a significant advantage over the average clicker.

since rts players have never comprised more than 10% of the total player population on the links tour, there may not be many flights for rts only at the present time or many players per flight. hopefully, as more players re-up and qualify for ranking, this will change. lw

______
Larry_Warrilow

Postby rngrck on Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:13 pm

Interesting statistic on RTS'ers. I wonder why so few players with this swing type, it seems so natural while playing the game. I couldn't imagine going to click after trying RTS !!!
rngrck

Postby terrell on Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:19 pm

rngrck wrote:Interesting statistic on RTS'ers. I wonder why so few players with this swing type, it seems so natural while playing the game. I couldn't imagine going to click after trying RTS !!!

i was pretty stoked when rts first came out. i agree, it seemed so much more natural than clicking. but then the propensity for peeps to straight edge while using it. kinda took all the wind outta the sails. so now i'm not interested. tough to cheat clicking.
terrell

Postby Dr_Dave on Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:57 pm

Larry it's still comparing apples to oranges. A contest where one player has an advantage over another no matter how slight is not a true contest. That's not even taking into account whether players straight edge or not. And most of us know that the straight edging is a dead horse topic. :wink:
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:18 pm

doc, you're preaching to the choir. when the 2k3 tour started in the fall of '02, rts and click were originally playing in the same events. several of us in dec of '02 presented the admin with numbers showing the apple and orange nature of click and rts. separate events were imediately supplied for each swing type with the exception of the mayhem events.

that's why my long running champ level arcade event has always been click only. it's not that i don't like the rts guys, but only that the average rts player at champ has a real advantage over the average clicker.

rts was a nice idea, but it never caught on. 88% of tour players remained with the click swing [2% powerstroke]. my guess is that many new players felt click was easier to learn and get predictable results in a short time. most veteran players just didn't want to change. whatever the reasons, the numbers have been constant since early '03.

this is no knock on rts or powerstroke. the three swing types are all equally arbitrary methods of putting a cyber golf ball in play that have little to do with a real golf swing. hopefully, as players gravitate back to the tour site, there will eventually be a large enough rts population to support competitive flight play. lw

______
Last edited by Larry_Warrilow on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry_Warrilow

straight edge? why don't you try without it?

Postby HeavySwinger on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:21 pm

terrell wrote:
rngrck wrote:Interesting statistic on RTS'ers. I wonder why so few players with this swing type, it seems so natural while playing the game. I couldn't imagine going to click after trying RTS !!!

i was pretty stoked when rts first came out. i agree, it seemed so much more natural than clicking. but then the propensity for peeps to straight edge while using it. kinda took all the wind outta the sails. so now i'm not interested. tough to cheat clicking.

I know of one or maybe two RTS players who privately told me they used a straight edge. They were not the top scorers. I would hope they quit doing it, because my position is edging doesn't help. I keep saying I'm going to try it to prove it doesn't work, but I can't seem to find the time. :roll:
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby LaMa_2k6 on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:05 am

How can you say it doesnt work? It essentially eliminates hitting out of the rough, assuming you know how to aim. It is clearly an advantage over someone who doesnt edge. Once you develop the touch to chip and putt, edging is a huge advantage.
LaMa_2k6

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:19 am

as has previously been remarked, the rts edging issue has been long disposed of, primarily because of the continuing small rts player population on the links tour over the years. it has historically only affected the rtsers, so the other 90% of the tour players who don't have to compete with them could care less. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby LaMa_2k6 on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:26 am

Obviously it's not disposed of in everyone's mind, if people are still discussing it.
LaMa_2k6

Postby GDI_Coyote on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:27 am

Seems odd that people who don't play RTS have an opinion or logical thought about it.Stick to your kiddy clicking and let those who enjoy RTS worry about the edgers.After all,there aren't enough RTS players on the tour to make edging an issue,unless they migrate to the all inclusive swing style tourneys is there?

♫"Livin on the edge"♫,

Steve
GDI_Coyote

Postby LaMa_2k6 on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:40 am

Seems odd that some people who don't play Links have a logical thought about people who don't play RTS. Stick to what you know best, staring at lobby chat all day.
Thanks.
:shock:
LaMa_2k6

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:04 am

GDI, you are totally correct. i'm a long time clicker and edging is not an issue for me whether i have to play against rtsers or not. historically, at about 10% of the total 2k3 player population, an rtser is free to insult the clickers all he wants if it makes him feel better, but neither that attitude or anything else has done much to improve the proportion of rts players to click players over time. the vote has been in for years.

we clickers should probably share flight events with the rtsers even at champ where we are at a disadvantage at this early stage of the lspn tour just because the rtsers have so little flight competition among their own swing type, and we can ill afford unnecessary fractures in the player population as the tour begins to rebuild. lw

_________
Larry_Warrilow

Postby akduffer on Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:11 am

In any event, I see that Mark has added an RTS event to the Tour. That is thoroughly appreciated! Though I may be in a fading minority (per LW), RTS is how I started and have continued Links, and it's nice to have an event where it feels like the swing levels, at least, are all the same. As for the straight-edge issue, I've never particularly understood (or cared) how that works, any more than I can get worked up about whether certain clickers have some way to slow down the swing meter. Golf, whether virtual or real, is a very silly game to cheat at -- and as someone wiser than me once noted, it simply "marks the measure and character of a person as to how truly they play and keep score over the course of a round of golf...."

Thanks again, Mark!

Akduffer
akduffer

Next

Return to Talk About It