2007 LSPN British Open

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

2007 LSPN British Open

Postby Tresclub on Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:50 am

This year's British Open is being played at Carnoustie GC in Angus, UK. We don't have an apcd version of Carnoustie, sooooo, what course would be a comparable one for us to play for our 2007 LSPN British Open?
"I don't play golf, because when I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it." - Rogers Hornsby
Tresclub

Postby Bluenoser on Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:53 am

Burns Old Links would be ideal, but I realize that a lot of people don't want P2P Courses in official events so that rules that out.

Woodbridge Old Course would be a good choice.
Links - it's not about winning, it's about having fun.
Bluenoser

Postby Dr_Dave on Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:55 pm

I think The Links At Ballylecum Castle would make a superb alternative. Not many courses get a 77% ACE rating at Links Corner. :D
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

I second that!

Postby HeavySwinger on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:11 pm

Dr_Dave wrote:I think The Links At Ballylecum Castle would make a superb alternative. Not many courses get a 77% ACE rating at Links Corner. :D

Good suggestion, I love that course.
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby JackRussellTerror on Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:53 am

Sarazen Links ????

not sure, i think its a seaside linksy course. played it once and it was pretty good......aaahhhh the course that is, not :cry: my score hehehe

and then there's good 'ol St. Andys

:wink:
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:59 am

sarazen links is a very nice linksland course of which most players will have little local knowledge. then there is slaint mhath, and royal lytham and st. annes. my vote for a real world scottish course would be boat-of-garten which played a lot tougher than expected at champ recently considering the yardage (as tough as inverness, colonial, royal lytham, and quail hollow, and tougher than merion east, crandon park and [gasp] oakmont).

carnoustie, historically, was one of the very longest old classic courses of the isles (6700+yds in the old days/7200+yds recently), so burn's old links (7100+yds), royal lytham (6900+yds), woodbridge[old] (7300yds), ballylecum castle (7000+yds), and sarazen links (7200yds) would seem to be in the right range of yardage.

even though enniscrone is in ireland (they don't call it the british open do they?), at 7000+yds it also would more than fit the bill (along with the K-club at 7300yds). lw

Postby FixAmer1st on Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:57 am

Larry_Warrilow wrote:even though enniscrone is in ireland (they don't call it the british open do they?). lw

Nope. That is a term used by the press. Officially it is just "The Open" or "The Open Championship".

http://www.opengolf.com/

Jerry
My apologies for plagiarizing Mel Brooks but "It’s GOOD to Play Links!"
FixAmer1st

Postby sgt_cook on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:11 am

All great choices. Me thinks I would prefer Ballylecum Castle. Its a great test especially when the wind is blowing a gale and the greens are firm. :wink:
sgt_cook

Postby ErnieB on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:29 am

BruceM wrote:Burns Old Links would be ideal, but I realize that a lot of people don't want P2P Courses in official events so that rules that out.

This weeks US Open is being played on a P2P course. :P

( http://www.linkscountryclub.com/proshop ... tem/id/10/ )
ErnieB

Postby Modman1 on Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:26 am

ErnieB wrote:
BruceM wrote:Burns Old Links would be ideal, but I realize that a lot of people don't want P2P Courses in official events so that rules that out.

This weeks US Open is being played on a P2P course. :P

( http://www.linkscountryclub.com/proshop ... tem/id/10/ )

LOL. I know you are trying to get your point across and I agree. As much as this game has given to me I have no problem supporting those you have kept it interesting, challenging and fun. Keep it up Ernie :lol:
We never have time to do it right, but we always find time to do it over.
Modman1

Postby Dr_Dave on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:08 am

Larry_Warrilow wrote:sarazen links is a very nice linksland course of which most players will have little local knowledge. then there is slaint mhath, and royal lytham and st. annes. my vote for a real world scottish course would be boat-of-garten which played a lot tougher than expected at champ recently considering the yardage (as tough as inverness, colonial, royal lytham, and quail hollow, and tougher than merion east, crandon park and [gasp] oakmont).

carnoustie, historically, was one of the very longest old classic courses of the isles (6700+yds in the old days/7200+yds recently), so burn's old links (7100+yds), royal lytham (6900+yds), woodbridge[old] (7300yds), ballylecum castle (7000+yds), and sarazen links (7200yds) would seem to be in the right range of yardage.

even though enniscrone is in ireland (they don't call it the british open do they?), at 7000+yds it also would more than fit the bill (along with the K-club at 7300yds). lw

Larry's unscrambled choice for 'The Open' 2007 is Boat Of Garten Ver II - Final.

Just trying to help you out Warren :)
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:53 am

good catch doc, but i couldn't help pointing out the other worthy candidates. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby brandyyy67 on Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:26 pm

FixAmer1st wrote:
Larry_Warrilow wrote:even though enniscrone is in ireland (they don't call it the british open do they?). lw

Nope. That is a term used by the press. Officially it is just "The Open" or "The Open Championship".

http://www.opengolf.com/

Jiiiierry
irish courses are fine they have staged the open on numerios occasions
brandyyy67

Return to Talk About It