2K3 vs. 2K1

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

2K3 vs. 2K1

Postby TPAnderson on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:08 pm

It is a shame that there will be no LSPN events for 2k1 players. I am not a computer whiz so I can't comprehend the problems it causes for the tour admins. While it is fun to compete in the arcade games my competitive nature longs for the old days when there were standings , rankings, and flights. Oh well.

I have always felt that the 2K1 version was a much truer test of skill than 2K3 , especially in putting. 2K1 players putt at 3 inch square holes and 2K3 players putt at manholes. By the way , I have 2K3 and have played it often but always come back to 2K1. Another advantage of 2K3 vs. 2K1 is the yardage indicator. If you are playing a strange course with quartering wind against you it sure helps to know if that driver can carry that trap or should you lay up short. I am not denigrating ANY 2K3 players because I have seen many of their incredible abilities. I just think 2K1 is a truer test. Sorry guys....just wanted to get my final 1 1/2 cents in. Good luck to you 2K3 players and hit 'em straight :)
TPAnderson

Maybe in the future

Postby HeavySwinger on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:58 pm

I believe there are clubhouses on the way, the 2K1 players should be able to set up one with what you want, hopefully admin will chime in and verify?
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby lstouradmin on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:25 pm

Actually, I may be able to make official events work for 2k1 but definitely not private clubhouses. I'll see what I can do about this.

Mark
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby garfran on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:38 am

I am completely with TP Anderson on this one.
garfran

Re: 2K3 vs. 2K1

Postby Dr_Dave on Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:05 am

TPAnderson wrote: I have always felt that the 2K1 version was a much truer test of skill than 2K3 , especially in putting. 2K1 players putt at 3 inch square holes and 2K3 players putt at manholes.

Your statement regarding 2K3 putting is a gross exaggeration. Many problems in 2K1 regarding the cup were fixed in 2K3 and although not perfect, all in all the putting is now more realistic.

Setting the cup issue aside 2k1 doesn't hold a candle to 2K3. Now at least I have had a rebuttal in 2K3's defense. :wink:
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby RoyHiggi on Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:00 am

Setting the cup issue aside 2k1 doesn't hold a candle to 2K3. Now at least I have had a rebuttal in 2K3's defense.

I think the opinions about the 2 games reflects the individual's belief about whether the game is a golf sim or an arcade game. I like the golf sim angle and although you can never get a game to reflect the real thing the nearer it can get the better I would like it.
I personally think 2K1 was the better more realistic game and the majority of that was down to the putting without doubt. The rubber cup thing was a shame but even there I reckoned that 99% of rubber cup incidents were actually putts that should miss by a genuine lip out but somehow looked all wrong when not dropping. It was very rare for a middle of the cup putt to bounce away.

I would say putting is 2 to 3 shots easier in 2K3 and almost without fail in any given round I get a putt which drops that I don't think should do. You can crash putts into the side of the hole which maybe shouldnt but do drop whereas on 2K1 the same putt might fly off the lip to a nasty distance away just like it would in real life. ( at least just as it did irl whenever i missed a putt in that way)

The rest of the 2K1 game is very similar to 2K3 as far as I can remember except in the way it looked.
RoyHiggi

Postby SE_BlackBeard on Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:27 am

I MISS 2K1 TOO MAN, AND I WAS ONE OF THE LAST STANDING. BUT EVENTUALLY IT'S OK TO UPGRADE TO 2K3. IT WAS TOUGH FOR ME TOO, BUT YOU JUST HAVE TO GIVE IT A CHANCE. AS FAR AS DIFFICULTY GOES, THE ONLY THING IS 2K1 PUTTING. EVERYTHING ELSE IS PRETTY SIMILAR IN DIFFICULTY.

I WISH 2K3 WAS NEVER MADE MYSELF, 2K1 WAS ALOT MORE FUN TO PLAY, BUT EVENTUALLY IT GET'S BORING BEATING THE SAME 3 OR 4 PEOPLE EVERY WEEK.
SE_BlackBeard

Postby duffer123 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:46 am

I loved playing 2k1,if a tour is set up I may install and play both
duffer123

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:05 am

there's no doubt that 2k1 pro and champ are measureably tougher than the 2k3 equivalents, and that's why i moved to 2k3 champ from 2k1 pro. on the other hand, 2k3 has more flexibility for all players as to difficulty with its four levels, and the 2k1 afficionados unfortunately will never be able to play the vast wealth of 2k3 specific apcd courses that have been released in recent years. 2k1 was fun, but 2k3 has too many things going for it at this point in time. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby TPAnderson on Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:00 am

Mark...it would be great if you could get us 2K1ers back into an official LSPN Tour. I know there are probably only a couple hundred of us diehards left , but if it is not a major undertaking on your part , I , for one , and I am sure the others would really appreciate it. Thanks.
TPAnderson

Postby Dr_Dave on Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:09 am

I myself have always thought in the golf sim realm. I agree Roy, 2K3 does seem to s uck in some side cup putts, but that usually happens when a putt is going faster than it should. I hit many normal struck putts that take a dip (little peek in the hole) and don't go in, very realistic. But the rubber cup and transparent bridges on 2K1 were just so non realistic to me.

And like Larry said, not being able to play all the 2K3 specific APCD courses would be pure torture. It's too bad some company couldn't have taken the best of both games and made a new Links for the PC. I'm not opening a bag of snakes here, just saying it's too bad.

Good thread!!
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby kracken on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:07 am

I'm with TPAnderson on the LSPN. I don't dnow if many 2K1 players even post here but I would look forward to the Flights, etc. :lol: .

Anything you can do Mark is greatly appreciated :wink: .
Kracken
kracken

Return to Talk About It