Requalified @ Bighorn

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:38 pm

jack, a tough wipeout, but at champ click, i was +1 for the whole 72 holes at muirfield village back in march and was grinding hard to the end. sorry if i can't quite sympathize. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby lstouradmin on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Dr_Dave wrote:Here's one for ya. I got a 'Links encountered problem' error on the 11th hole at Bighorn and it would not let me resume. Mark said there was a requal available. I went to LSN hit the requal and it said you have been requalified for this event with a penalty stroke. I hate playing a course over but what the heck it's the start of a new season. I go back into Links and it now reads, you crashed would you like to resume? Sure I do, I resume and finish the round. Now Links reads your stats could not be sent....huh??? No way no how will it allow my stats to be sent. A windy round at Bighorn and Links wants me to play the 18 again....I think not. I guess my season will start next week :(

If you ReQ'd the server will reset your round in the database. Then, if you come back into the game and try to submit your round the server thinks someone is trying something funny and doesn't allow it.

You should always try restarting Links and go back into the Links Tour section after a crash to see if it will let you resume before doing a ReQ. That's odd if it didn't once but then you came back in and it asked if you wanted to the second time.

Mark
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby lstouradmin on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:44 pm

Penatlies are as follows for a particular event:

1st ReQ - 1 Stroke
2nd ReQ - 2 Strokes
3rd ReQ - 4 Strokes
4th ReQ - 8 Strokes

This is to help prevent people from using ReQs as redos for rounds.

Mark
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby Dr_Dave on Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:21 pm

I just wanted to share my experience so others don't feel alone. Computers and servers can be temperamental creatures at times, that's just the nature of the beast. No complaints here, I'll finish many more than I bomb out in. Just grateful for all Mark's hard work.

As Arnold said, "I'll be back" :wink:
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby JackRussellTerror on Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:45 pm

Dr_Dave:
"No complaints here, I'll finish many more than I bomb out in. Just grateful for all Mark's hard work."

yep, same here too !

"Larry:
sorry if i can't quite sympathize. lw"

thanks, no need to tho :D There are bigger things in life to worry about LOL.

:)
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby mike58 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:47 pm

I had my first power blip in quite a while, which blew me out of Round 3 in the Pro Bighorn Classic. After the power came back, I rebooted and started Links, expecting it to recognize the crash and ask if I wanted to resume, which it did. However, when I answered 'yes' to resume I got a message that said I could not resume the round. So, I went to the LSPN site and asked to requalify, which it did. When I went back to Links, it again recognized the crash and give me the opportunity to resume, which I did, and I was back on the 15th hole.

I have a couple of questions. This is the first time I have ever been denied a restart on a crashed round. Is this normal, a bug, or does the LSPN tournament not allow it? Not that a one stroke penalty is a big deal (it's not like I am in contention to win), but I always thought the requal penalty was designed for those instances where you got to start a round over. If you restart right where you left off, you do not get an advantage.

Finally, when I finished the round, I was -11 for the round. However, even though it said my stats were submitted, it appears they were not. It is as I had not played round 3. However, my total for the tournament is now shown as -16, which is one stroke less than I had ad the end of round 2 (-15).
mike58

Postby Dr_Dave on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:30 pm

mike58 wrote:I had my first power blip in quite a while, which blew me out of Round 3 in the Pro Bighorn Classic. After the power came back, I rebooted and started Links, expecting it to recognize the crash and ask if I wanted to resume, which it did. However, when I answered 'yes' to resume I got a message that said I could not resume the round. So, I went to the LSPN site and asked to requalify, which it did. When I went back to Links, it again recognized the crash and give me the opportunity to resume, which I did, and I was back on the 15th hole.

I have a couple of questions. This is the first time I have ever been denied a restart on a crashed round. Is this normal, a bug, or does the LSPN tournament not allow it? Not that a one stroke penalty is a big deal (it's not like I am in contention to win), but I always thought the requal penalty was designed for those instances where you got to start a round over. If you restart right where you left off, you do not get an advantage.

Finally, when I finished the round, I was -11 for the round. However, even though it said my stats were submitted, it appears they were not. It is as I had not played round 3. However, my total for the tournament is now shown as -16, which is one stroke less than I had ad the end of round 2 (-15).

If you have a real crash, I have found that you need to quit Links entirely and then come back in to your game, the resume should work. Don't re-qualify until you try this method because the 1 resume that is allowed should work. :wink:
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby JoeSmith on Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:06 pm

Add me to the list of people crashing at bighorn. First sign of trouble was after finishing the 4th hole, the game paused at the "preparing for next hole" which typically means the LSPN server can't be reached to display the scoreboard. I alt-enter out of the game and checked the internet connection and all was well. Came back to Links and got a heapstack error.

As others previously state I started links again and asked me to resume, said yes and then says I cant. I restart links again and asks me again if I want to resume and it does and puts me back on hole 5 tee where I crashed but now it hangs up on "preparing for next hole" screen. I hit cancel and it gives the message "provider may fail". If I finish do the stats get submitted or am I DQ'd? Don't want to play windy again but if I must, it seems my only recourse with a stroke penalty.
JoeSmith

Postby NewGuy on Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:05 pm

Yeah,
I crashed also .
On the 11th hole
Right into a rock with a -35yd shot!!! :D
NewGuy

Postby ErnieB on Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:36 pm

JoeSmith wrote:Add me to the list of people crashing at bighorn. First sign of trouble was after finishing the 4th hole, the game paused at the "preparing for next hole" which typically means the LSPN server can't be reached to display the scoreboard. I alt-enter out of the game and checked the internet connection and all was well. Came back to Links and got a heapstack error.

Give playing in windowed mode a try pard, that way there's no need to alt+enter (or alt+tab) and thus no heap-stack error.

JoeSmith wrote:As others previously state I started links again and asked me to resume, said yes and then says I cant. I restart links again and asks me again if I want to resume and it does and puts me back on hole 5 tee where I crashed but now it hangs up on "preparing for next hole" screen. I hit cancel and it gives the message "provider may fail". If I finish do the stats get submitted or am I DQ'd? Don't want to play windy again but if I must, it seems my only recourse with a stroke penalty.

I figure the first season will be mostly to gather data for future rankings tweaks so not to worry, Windy is fun anyway bahahahaha. I'm hoping to get my PC problems resolved in time to finish my 2 crashed tours as the need for more completed MOD tours is important given the number of people who are too askeered to play :P :D :twisted:

Ppfft penalty strokes, a highly over-rated experience. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ErnieB

Postby JoeSmith on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:33 pm

Ernie, I shall try that windowed idea, thanks!

Have you tried the champ mod at Muirfield? Definitely rough for us classic clickers. I think I'll just finish the last 3 rounds with a 5W off the tee all the way. Firm medium was a beeeech!
JoeSmith

Postby ErnieB on Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:13 am

JoeSmith wrote:Have you tried the champ mod at Muirfield? Definitely rough for us classic clickers. I think I'll just finish the last 3 rounds with a 5W off the tee all the way. Firm medium was a beeeech!

Looks like I got my PC probs squared away after a format/reinstall of everything :x so I'll be giving it a try in a few minutes. Muirfield is a tough test even at v1.05, and after enduring the pin placements in the Chesapeake Valley tournament, it looks like Mark isn't going to be cutting 1.06ers much slack - and we thought the pins at OWGC were maniacal! :lol:
ErnieB

Previous

Return to Talk About It