NO LADIES TEES HERE!!!!

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby BruceWallace on Tue May 22, 2007 7:02 am

I play the ammy events from the ladies tees and 10 mulligans. I also play Larry's Champ tournaments and some tournaments at Pro level. I have fun playing all of them.

Lou (lstucz), have fun playing whatever you want. I do believe that is what we all do. :wink:
BruceWallace

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue May 22, 2007 8:01 am

fund, the last indie site season was the first time that there were significantly more pro level players than am players. up til then the am level always had a few more players each season than pro.

my advice to players of any level: if you can't find the type of event that you would enjoy playing the most, is to create one each week exactly to your own taste, and keep on creating it each week until the players know where to find it, and know that it will be there every week.

my champ level event only entertains at most 20 players most weeks, but they know that they're getting an event that has been custom tailored in every way i know, to make it interesting for that level of player.

interestingly, with the exception of spyglass hill and the doral blue, the biggest fields i've gotten over 33 weeks have been when i've used an old LS file for the event. after all the talk about players being bored at having to play the same old LS files on the old tour, it makes me wonder whether many players want to DL and explore the huge universe of great apcd files we now have available as tournament venues. but i'm not going to give up. my event will continue to feature interesting new files (for 72 hole champ level tour play), set up in interesting ways. and i appreciate the connoisseurs who show up each week whether they shoot -51 for the week or over par (like me on occassion). lw

Postby BruceWallace on Tue May 22, 2007 10:41 am

Larry_Warrilow wrote:fund, the last indie site season was the first time that there were significantly more pro level players than am players. up til then the am level always had a few more players each season than pro.

my advice to players of any level: if you can't find the type of event that you would enjoy playing the most, is to create one each week exactly to your own taste, and keep on creating it each week until the players know where to find it, and know that it will be there every week.

my champ level event only entertains at most 20 players most weeks, but they know that they're getting an event that has been custom tailored in every way i know, to make it interesting for that level of player.

interestingly, with the exception of spyglass hill and the doral blue, the biggest fields i've gotten over 33 weeks have been when i've used an old LS file for the event. after all the talk about players being bored at having to play the same old LS files on the old tour, it makes me wonder whether many players want to DL and explore the huge universe of great apcd files we now have available as tournament venues. but i'm not going to give up. my event will continue to feature interesting new files (for 72 hole champ level tour play), set up in interesting ways. and i appreciate the connoisseurs who show up each week whether they shoot -51 for the week or over par (like me on occassion). lw

Your events are great, Larry, but could you set one up that uses a course with fairways wider than my cell phone? :P :P :P
BruceWallace

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue May 22, 2007 11:51 am

bruce, enniscrone is killing me too. even with stud skills, how roy got to -51 is beyond me, but that's because i'm an average player working hard to scrape it around without any really horrendous disasters. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Dr_Dave on Tue May 22, 2007 3:22 pm

Bruce, I read your post and fell off my chair, that was just down right funny!! No disrespect to your events Larry, just funny how he said it. :D
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby lstucz on Tue May 22, 2007 3:22 pm

BruceWallace wrote:Lou (lstucz), have fun playing whatever you want. I do believe that is what we all do. :wink:

I do. I enjoy a lighter and easier tournament once in a while, too.

But, the way some of these people play Links and set up tournaments, it is like inviting a bunch of guys over to play poker and once they get there, they find out the only deck of cards you own is a deck of 52 jokers.

There is one member, this week, who had about 8 different tournaments running, all from the ladies tees with soft, medium greens. I don't know about you, but the most tourneys I have ever been able to play in one week was 4, and sadly, I don't have much of a life outside of work.

They are welcome to play anyway they want. We need all the members we can get, to support Mark's effort at keeping the Links Tour alive. I just don't understand how they can find pleasure playing that way, without getting bored of the game. :?

Also, before Mark set up the new filters in the arcade, it did get tiring to sort through all the wussy tourneys to find a decent game.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mark, for those wonderful filters! :D
Lou
lstucz

Postby DennisHarris on Tue May 22, 2007 4:38 pm

Awe never mind. :twisted:
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby tryandtyoneon on Tue May 22, 2007 5:06 pm

Dr_Dave wrote:Bruce, I read your post and fell off my chair, that was just down right funny!! No disrespect to your events Larry, just funny how he said it. :D

I too thought it mighta been the funniest line here in a long time
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby Frankoh on Tue May 22, 2007 7:52 pm

Bruce must be using an old cell phone for comparison ... they are slighty wider then mine ... hehe ... gr8 line Bruce
No matter where you go .... there you are :)
Frankoh

Postby BruceWallace on Tue May 22, 2007 7:58 pm

Larry_Warrilow wrote:bruce, enniscrone is killing me too. even with stud skills, how roy got to -51 is beyond me, but that's because i'm an average player working hard to scrape it around without any really horrendous disasters. lw

The strange thing about the tournament is, I was doing okay in the windy round, until I got on the green, and missed putt snaps. I must have been shaking from the wind. :)
BruceWallace

Postby UncleDunc on Thu May 24, 2007 8:11 am

Guys,

Thanks for all the comments. Played "The Dunes" Esceronn....oh foggidabouditt (spelling that crz is harder than hittin those F/Ws on champ...hehe) loved the choice Larry! I figure if I can play that on Champ, I can play anywhere!

There is only one day left in Back in Black, but I plan to do one tough pro tourney a week (I'll leave Champers to Larry) but I am going to cut it down to one windy round per... I hope to have an obvious theme to them. I would like to have a little better turn out, but I won't be detered, despite the somewhat low numbers this week. The size of the field is not important, just a good, fair, yet tough challenge and with any luck, a stellar roster of players!

Thanks for playing this week, I'll throw up a post when I post next week's tourney tommorow.

Sincerely,

Unca Dunc
UncleDunc

Re: Ladies Tees

Postby ihidive10 on Thu May 24, 2007 10:51 am

Dr_Dave wrote:
fundraiser wrote:Just a quick question. I play the Amateur area and it seems that all the tournaments are from the Ladies tees. Why is this? FR

The subject of this thread really says it all. Theses guys play Links one way....the manly way. You won't see them in ammy events with 10 mullies from the ladies tees. Why, because the competition is way too tough.

Your choice is simple, play in the manly events where maybe 10% play or play in the fun events where 90% play, but only 10% rise to the top. Reason being, the competition is fierce!!

In the mean time we can start having some fun with this thread. :)
+
+
Any tips to a rookie to get better? I to was playing in the ammy tourneys just to get the hang of the game. I tried this tourney and realized the difference right off. Just wondering if there are is anything to do to help the learning curve...Ive heard of graphs for putting, loft etc...but cannot find them posted anywhere. I have begun creating my own, but its very slow going.
ihidive10

Re: Ladies Tees

Postby lstucz on Thu May 24, 2007 3:38 pm

ihidive10 wrote:+
Any tips to a rookie to get better? I to was playing in the ammy tourneys just to get the hang of the game. I tried this tourney and realized the difference right off. Just wondering if there are is anything to do to help the learning curve...Ive heard of graphs for putting, loft etc...but cannot find them posted anywhere. I have begun creating my own, but its very slow going.

The best advice I can give you is to relax, enjoy the game for what it is and just keep playing.

Many of us, here, have been playing for a very long time. Myself, I have been at it since 1999. Many others go even farther back, to the very beginning, Links 386 I think; but, there may have even been one before that. There are a few of these guys that are so awesome that most of us could never hope to be able to challenge them. We keep playing, anyway.

I don't use any graphs or charts to calculate shots. Everything I do is right out of my head, just like on a real course. It just takes time and lots of practice to work things out.

The most important key to making great shots is a good snap. Some have it and for others like me, it comes and goes. That's not so important if you play amateur, so that is a great place to get your distances and swing gauge down without worrying so much about having to stop your snap dead on. It never hurts to keep trying to get it right anyway.

One great thing about this tour is that we don't care if you come in dead last and 40 strokes over everyone else. All we really care about is that you tried and had fun. We're always happy to have another player in our ranks.
Lou
lstucz

Postby hokiepokie on Thu May 24, 2007 6:23 pm

Although the tourneys I create (the ProFlightG series) are all mid range (middle tees, slight breeze, medium, normal and moderate greens) difficulty, I sure enjoy driving the greens in a ladies tee event. I KNOW it's the only chance I will ever have for a double eagle. Can't wait for the flights to return.
hokiepokie

Postby BruceWallace on Thu May 24, 2007 7:51 pm

Dr_Dave wrote:Bruce, I read your post and fell off my chair, that was just down right funny!! No disrespect to your events Larry, just funny how he said it. :D

If you played that course, at champ level, you would see that there was no hyperbole in the statement/question. :)
BruceWallace

PreviousNext

Return to Talk About It