Invitational no reQ

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Invitational no reQ

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Thu May 03, 2007 2:16 am

i knew that boat of garten was going to be a tough sell to the champ level players, but the guys who showed up this last week know that this old eccentric inland scottish course is no joke. it actually played tougher than merion east and almost as tough as quail hollow. [at 6600 yards and no deep rough near the fairways]

anyhow, over this eight week traversal of real world courses of ireland, scotland, and england, (all but one non seaside inland courses) i've been alternating the short eccentric tracks with the longer more well known courses, and in this sixth week (of eight weeks) of the Isles series of courses and the 31st week overall of the champ level invitational no reQ series, we come to the K Club, and john aherne's superb model. we are restricted to only three hole locations per green, but they are authentic ryder cup pin positions and i have distributed them so that there are no duplications in adjacent rounds. good luck. lw

Postby grim_x on Thu May 03, 2007 3:11 am

I just wish you'd put on swings besides click there lw. I generally do ps and don't mind getting hammered by you click types. Though I did spend enough years clicking before I went to the dark side eh.
grim_x

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Thu May 03, 2007 3:24 am

grim, the PS guys are not a problem in champ level competition, but it is an established fact that champ level rts guys have a real advantage in driving distance and accuracy, and fairway bunker play over the clickers, thus the click only condition. unfortunately we can't make a distinction between PS and rts. either we allow both or exclude both. if i were putting up a pro level event i would have no problem including all swing types. lw

_______
Larry_Warrilow

Postby RoyHiggi on Thu May 03, 2007 4:59 am

And Garten is a classic style course where accuracy off the T is especially important as I just found out :D ( [censored] am I allowed to say that Ripp? :lol: )
RoyHiggi

Postby grim_x on Thu May 03, 2007 8:29 am

yah, it's too bad that it's one swing type or all :-(
I should try it on the laptop, can't ps on that anyway eh. It's close, but I can't get a decent ps swing, so I do click on that.
grim_x

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Fri May 04, 2007 8:58 pm

roy is right on about boat of garten and accuracy. he may have had his worst weekly dif and gir stats in his career (and still finished second by a mile over the rest of the field). how giller shot -47 is a total mystery to average players like me.

one thing many of us learned as the week went on, was not to nibble at the many edge hole locations, which often sent your ball down a big hill if you missed by only a few feet. the greens were tiny and well contoured. they sure don't build them like this anymore, and it's too bad. lw

____
Larry_Warrilow

Return to Talk About It