Are you up for Powerstroke swing?

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Are you up for Powerstroke swing?

Postby HeavySwinger on Tue May 01, 2007 5:47 pm

If you are getting bored of birdie after birdie after birdie with an occasional eagle thrown in while clicking with your eyes closed (or swinging in the case of RTSers) then you may want to give Powerstroke a try. I know, I know, you've already tried it and the ball goes nowhere or flys way off to the left or right...but wait - maybe it's not your fault. Your windows default setup may be the culprit. So here is a step by step procedure to get your mouse adjusted so the Powerstroke swing works reasonably well. :wink:

Step-by-step procedure to hopefully get Powerstroke working well in Windows XP.

Adjusting mouse sensitivity for Powerstroke is a multistep process. The adjustments are done in two places, inside the Links Game while playing a round and outside at the Windows desktop using the mouse control panel.

The first step is to adjust the mouse sensitivity for putting using the Windows control panel
outside the game:

1. Open up the Windows XP Mouse control panel by ONE of the following methods:

a. Double-Click on the mouse control panel icon in the windows destop taskbar at the lower
right of the screen (especially if you have installed a custom mouse driver control panel like
Logitech Setpoint)

b. Click the Windows Start button at the lower left of the screen and click on Control Panel
in the middle right of the popup menu. Then find and double click on the Mouse control panel.

c. Open up My Computer, double click on Local Disk (C:), then on WINDOWS, then on system32, then on control.exe

2. Using the Mouse control panel application, make sure and turn off anything that resembles
Pointer Acceleration or Precision enhancement. You can check this out by doing a powerstroke
type swing on the windows desktop and observing the pointer. Swing the mouse left and right
making the swing to the left more rapidly and the swing to the right more slowly. If the
pointer migrates toward the left side of the screen with successive strokes, then you have not
turned the acceleration off and the Powerstroke swing in the game will be exceedingly difficult.
Finally adjust the pointer speed to a reasonable sensitivity to prepare for final adjustment in
the Links game.

3. Go into Links and start a practice or real game and get to the putting green. Try out some
putts to see if the mouse sensitivity is to your liking and you can get to a maximum length putt
without running out of mousepad while still being able to stop your putt backswing on the mark
you want. If the sensitivity is not right, alt-tab out of Links and adjust the pointer speed
slider in the Windows mouse control panel.

4. After you have the putting stroke sensitivity set, then go to the tee to set your full swing
sensitivity. Click on Swing Options at the bottom of the screen and adjust the Mouse Swing
Sensitivity slider until you get a satisfactory club head speed with the driver. Start with the
little gray square just below the end of the word "Swing" if you are having trouble getting it
adjusted. You should be able to swing using a reasonable hand movement speed and achieve a club head speed of 110 to 115 mph. You should also me able to achieve an out-in or in-out number of less than 2 easily, if not your sensitivity setting may be too high. Cocking your wrist towards your thumb during the swing should give you a draw (in-out if right handed) and cocking your wrist away should give you a fade (out-in if right handed).

Now you should be ready to give Powerstroke a try. Practice until you can get the feel of where
the snap point is remembering to use a smooth, rhythmic, contolled swing and don't forget to
follow through. :D

Good Luck,
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby GDI_Coyote on Wed May 02, 2007 5:17 am

If you are getting bored of birdie after birdie after birdie with an occasional eagle thrown in while clicking with your eyes closed (or swinging in the case of RTSers) then you may want to give Powerstroke a try.

I RTS but wth does that have to do with me and the wife? :twisted:

RTS/Elite/Mod/no grid....i can draw/fade on request too.But alas i don't score very well.Maybe i should try "swinging". :lol:
GDI_Coyote

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Thu May 03, 2007 12:52 am

larry's right about powerstroke being an antidote for all those boring birdies and eagles, but so is champ click, and you don't even have to learn anything new (lol) except to never try to get over a water hazard from a fairway bunker. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby grim_x on Thu May 03, 2007 3:14 am

I think there are some of us who would play champ ps. I play it at bomber's, and that's 1.06 too. Not that I'm able to shoot under par on a regular basis, but it's a nice challenge.

Had a +18 at Augusta when we did that course, though that's a bit of an anomaly, sure do better than that for most rounds.
grim_x

Return to Talk About It