PLSA Children's Houston Open

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

PLSA Children's Houston Open

Postby GoesForIt on Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:10 am

Lost Wood GC

http://www.linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=590

Is the course to be used.

This will be the flip-flopped tourney, then comes the Master's. I've already posted the link to that course.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14991
GoesForIt

Re: PLSA Children's Houston Open

Postby GoesForIt on Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:13 am

Well, some days you can't hit the snap and some days you can't miss it. Round #3 went a lot better for me in the snap hitting regard. Maybe Santa will bring me a new putter for Christmas... as if that would help.

But, a real nice Eagle on #11. Looked a lot like Speith's ace in Round #1. Hit, roll straight in.
Attachments
Eagle11LostWoods-2024-04-06.SHT
(3.7 KB) Downloaded 55 times
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:50 pm

the back nine got me Harpo. -6 after the front, then +1 on the back. I had no idea what you'd shot so it would have been a surprise to me.

I like this course. Narrow. If you miss the snap off the tee, there's a good chance for water or sand.

Actually, it was #12 that got me. I thought a 3-metal would be perfect for hitting the island. Just the slightest push put me in the drink and rehit was the only good option.
GoesForIt

Postby RoyHiggi on Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:20 pm

GoesForIt wrote:the back nine got me Harpo. -6 after the front, then +1 on the back. I had no idea what you'd shot so it would have been a surprise to me.

I like this course. Narrow. If you miss the snap off the tee, there's a good chance for water or sand.

Actually, it was #12 that got me. I thought a 3-metal would be perfect for hitting the island. Just the slightest push put me in the drink and rehit was the only good option.

I’ve not decided yet what to do on that hole when I play champ. I’ll have to be feeling really confident with the snap to go for it. Probably will on round 1 and see
RoyHiggi

Postby Harpo on Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:25 pm

I didn't see your score when I started or maybe we were playing at the same time. I was just trying to stay out of trouble and shoot even par. That last triple bogey I thought I was done. Above the hole and just tapped the putt and down off the green. Then a little long on the chip above the hole again and had to do it all over again. Lucky to bird three holes to get back to even. Then that 18th hole. Hate it. First rd in the fairway right side, hit tree and short but got par. The last 3 times in the sand on the left, once plugged. Had to quick of a snap for a couple rounds and when I aimed down the right side, a hair missed late and in trouble. I did the island from the back tees and hit it all three times. Played save on the middle tees with a 3W, layup and bird. See ya at the Masters.
Jim
Harpo

Postby GoesForIt on Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:27 pm

RoyHiggi wrote:I’ve not decided yet what to do on that hole when I play champ. I’ll have to be feeling really confident with the snap to go for it. Probably will on round 1 and see

I will say I had no problem in the first three rounds. 3-wood would have got me there but just that slight push. I think twice I hit driver full forward in my stance to cut distance.
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:33 pm

Harpo wrote: See ya at the Masters.

I guess I qualified. Won a tourney on the DP World Tour. Sure never won anything domestic.
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:46 pm

I think Lost Wood GC is a nice challenge. Lots of decisions to be made... especially off the tee. Crafty bunker placement. It's a difficult layout but very well thought out and realistic. Dave Everitt is to be congratulated. So many FICTIONAL courses are all tricked up to make them difficult but unrealistic. I could easily see this being a real course.

The only think I'm not fond of is the seam blends (transition from say fairway to rough). Minor point.
Attachments
Seam-1.jpg
Seam-1.jpg (10.12 KB) Viewed 1138 times
GoesForIt

Postby Echoes on Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:11 am

Mighty high praise for a course so poorly put together. There are multiple holes that the BLI doesn't work properly on. The designer likes putting trees in the line of sight to the greens way too much. But the final straw for me was where it dropped me on hole 6 after being left off the tee, i dropped the course from my hard drive afterwards never to be used by me again.
Echoes

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:33 am

Echoes wrote:Mighty high praise for a course so poorly put together. There are multiple holes that the BLI doesn't work properly on. The designer likes putting trees in the line of sight to the greens way too much. But the final straw for me was where it dropped me on hole 6 after being left off the tee, i dropped the course from my hard drive afterwards never to be used by me again.

I was going to mention the BLI missing at times. Never seemed an issue playing the pro event but in c/c it was a problem. And I did hit a tree when nailing a shot down the middle in the last pro round. Bounced back into a really nasty posiition. Did the same on champ with a miss snap but it went through the tree!!

Also went for the island on 12. Aimed left side and nailed the shot. Landed in funny stuff and boiing onto the waters edge. OOps had to play out sideways so only a 5.
RoyHiggi

Postby GoBucks on Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:42 pm

Why would you want use a course that was released prior to Links2K3?
No matter where you go, there you are!
GoBucks

Postby Harpo on Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:50 am

Well that hidden tree off hole 11 costed me solo second. Hit a perfect 12/6 snap and bang, hit tree and into water. I thought that tree was on another hole. So mad, missed a short birdie on the next par 5. Then knew I needed a hole out to hit my number and just didn't happen.

Oh well, onto the Masters
Jim
Harpo

Postby Draggon on Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:01 pm

Just curious - what is BLI?
Draggon

Postby Harpo on Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:05 pm

Break Line Indicator. If you have it turned on when you set up your player, it shows on the green the slope of the green. Some use it for telling the break of a putt vs the grid lines on the green. Some use both in combination I think.

Jim
Harpo

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:39 am

RoyHiggi wrote:
GoesForIt wrote:the back nine got me Harpo. -6 after the front, then +1 on the back. I had no idea what you'd shot so it would have been a surprise to me.

I’ve not decided yet what to do on that hole when I play champ. I’ll have to be feeling really confident with the snap to go for it. Probably will on round 1 and see

In the end I went for the island in all 4 rounds. Got lucky I guess as I missed the snap on 3 of the rounds and each time ended on the river bank instead of in the water. Chipped out and managed a par each time when it could have been so much worse.
RoyHiggi

Next

Return to Talk About It