New monitor

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

New monitor

Postby RoyHiggi on Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:05 pm

I’ve been trying to Send a message, a long one it won’t let me hence this as a test.

That’s weird! It allowed a short one. Are messages limited to size, number of words?

I’ll try the long one again tomorrow if I can find what I typed

I’ve been having real problems with my whole set up on the pc and not just with playing Links. Every time I switched on all I would get on the screen was flashing lights which ended up with just a white screen. I just rebooted and usually it would seem ok 2nd time around. Sometimes it took 1 or 2 more goes.

Then I had a second problem as when I tried to get here to the forum or load up Links to play a round nothing happened. Some sort of internet problem maybe so it could be I need a new pc or could it be that I’m still on Windows 7 and it’s finally telling it’s close to dead

So after a long time dealing with this i got a new monitor to see how that changed or improved things.My son did all sorts of stuff I hadn’t a clue about but at the end of it I have a new monitor. Plus I have been using Firefox as my…… ( whatever it’s called) and apparently hardly anyone uses that anymore. So now I’ve got Chrome. Means nothing to me but that’s what I’ve got.

Anyway I only have this monitor for a day or so so I said I would play a round of golf and see how it goes. The new monitor is my sons and is much bigger , mostly wider than what I’ve been used to and the screen is much brighter. I’m sure the brightness is easily fixed ( although not by me) Also I had no sound at all using this monitor.

Hitting snap seemed much the same although I did have 2 wild ones but I did find it close to impossible on the greens. Most of the putts were easy/ quite straight but the few I had with bend were scary. I’m not a step counter and all I do is basically look at the putt and then with help from the BLI just hit it. Don’t think I’ve ever missed a 9 foot putt by so much. So not a good round. I reckon if I played Valhalla on it I wouldn’t be able to hole many putts at all.

I think I had 3 routine putts and didn’t get close on any of them. I assume it’s down to the monitor being at least 6 inches wider.

I’ll be back to my old monitor tomorrow I hope, with all it’s associated problems, but after this week I might just go for a new pc and monitor and live with having to get used to it all for a spell. Always knew I’d have to move off Windows 7 eventually but when you haven’t a clue what it’s all about, how to do it etc it’s easier said than done.

Fingers crossed it goes better than my imagination is telling me.
RoyHiggi

Re: New monitor

Postby pmgolf on Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:13 pm

I caution you, Roy, getting a new computer may be the beginnings of a bunch of problems. Mostly caused by the operating system - Windows 11 or if it's not brand-spanking new, Windows 10. If there is any way you can do it, it would be easier if you could find a used computer. Maybe one with Windows 7 or Windows 10. There is a internet company called EBAY.com where you can get used computers. The newer the computer, the harder it will be to get Links2003 to work with it since it is older software.

I've got some tips for you. I have a desktop computer (as opposed to a laptop computer) and it has a AMD processor (also called a CPU). It is easier to get AMD processors to work with Links2003 than it is with INTEL processors, but INTEL is the bigger computer company so they dominate the market. You should also get a computer with a separate video card. You really need somebody to help you with this - it's complicated, and also very technical. Your child, grandchild or a good friend would be a good resource. Even if you could pay somebody to help you, it would be worth it.

And finally, if there is any way you can get your old computer to work, that would be your best option. If you payed to have it repaired, keeping Windows 7 would be well worth it.

Good luck to you, my friend!

Pete
pmgolf

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:13 pm

pmgolf wrote:I caution you, Roy, getting a new computer may be the beginnings of a bunch of problems. Mostly caused by the operating system - Windows 11 or if it's not brand-spanking new, Windows 10. If there is any way you can do it, it would be easier if you could find a used computer. Maybe one with Windows 7 or Windows 10. There is a internet company called EBAY.com where you can get used computers. The newer the computer, the harder it will be to get Links2003 to work with it since it is older software.

I've got some tips for you. I have a desktop computer (as opposed to a laptop computer) and it has a AMD processor (also called a CPU). It is easier to get AMD processors to work with Links2003 than it is with INTEL processors, but INTEL is the bigger computer company so they dominate the market. You should also get a computer with a separate video card. You really need somebody to help you with this - it's complicated, and also very technical. Your child, grandchild or a good friend would be a good resource. Even if you could pay somebody to help you, it would be worth it.

And finally, if there is any way you can get your old computer to work, that would be your best option. If you payed to have it repaired, keeping Windows 7 would be well worth it.

Good luck to you, my friend!

Pete

Thanks for that Pete. It all made sense ( even if not to me) when I read it to my son and wife who both know a lot more than I do about tech stuff. Likely I’ll go along to the local pc repair shop as they have helped before.
RoyHiggi

Postby Bassmaster on Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:11 pm

Hey Roy. When my old Window 7 unit took a dump I was faced with getting a Window 8 tower which had me cringing. I got lucky and Staples had a brand new Windows 7 tower in the back and I didn't have to go with 8 or worse yet 8.1. I also run Firefox. With the new Windows 7 tower I had to immediately get a new video card. I only paid $199 for the tower so no big deal with a new NVIDIA card. Then I got a new 22'' monitor and it paired up nicely and I only had to change the graphics settings inside the Links game. But even though the monitor was brand new I still needed to do a update for it. And now here it is many years later and my system works pretty good. My only real issue is that I cannot due video card and system updates anymore because of no support for Windows 7. My laptop with Windows 10 plays the Links game very nicely.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Return to Talk About It