Bighorn Shrubbery

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Bighorn Shrubbery

Postby Draggon on Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:52 pm

What is the deal with the dang hedge rows in front of some of the tees at Bighorn (Classic tourney this week)? No problem until the 4th round where I had two tee shots - 1 on (I think) the Par 3 11th hole and 1 on the Par 4 18th - both "graze" the hedge row in front of the tee boxes when I teed off; slowing them considerably. That's not really something I think to check when I'm teeing off! :lol: :lol:
Draggon

Re: Bighorn Shrubbery

Postby MasterMontgomery on Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:30 pm

Draggon wrote:What is the deal with the dang hedge rows in front of some of the tees at Bighorn (Classic tourney this week)? No problem until the 4th round where I had two tee shots - 1 on (I think) the Par 3 11th hole and 1 on the Par 4 18th - both "graze" the hedge row in front of the tee boxes when I teed off; slowing them considerably. That's not really something I think to check when I'm teeing off! :lol: :lol:

I set it up in practice. I only checked hole 18. On default the driver is okay, but
when i lowered the driver down it did hit stuff in front of the tee. For a long time
i will not lower the driver if there is planting in front of tee. It has cost me in the past.
It is very annoying an makes you wonder why anything is right in front of a tee.

Doug :)
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby Harpo on Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:02 pm

I looked at those two holes and all I can say is, if you are hitting the shurbbery then you are hitting the wrong clubs. Just my thoughts unless you are trying to play some sort of knock down shot and none of the condition that were given in any round would have called for them. I can not remember hitting anything low on any course off the tee. Some trees or hidden trees off the tee but nothing low.

Just my 2 cents.
Jim
Harpo

Postby MasterMontgomery on Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:00 pm

Harpo wrote:I looked at those two holes and all I can say is, if you are hitting the shurbbery then you are hitting the wrong clubs. Just my thoughts unless you are trying to play some sort of knock down shot and none of the condition that were given in any round would have called for them. I can not remember hitting anything low on any course off the tee. Some trees or hidden trees off the tee but nothing low.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim in ammy I hit driver 8 down off
the tee many times. But not if something
Is in front of the tee. I do not hit more than
4 down in pro. Does that explain?

Doug
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby RoyHiggi on Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:36 am

MasterMontgomery wrote:
Harpo wrote:I looked at those two holes and all I can say is, if you are hitting the shurbbery then you are hitting the wrong clubs. Just my thoughts unless you are trying to play some sort of knock down shot and none of the condition that were given in any round would have called for them. I can not remember hitting anything low on any course off the tee. Some trees or hidden trees off the tee but nothing low.

Just my 2 cents.

Doug

Tis very annoying when it happens. I virtually always hit driver from a full front foot stance with the exception being when I play ammy. In those times I'm always very aware of what you can hit in front off the T, been caught out quite a few times.
RoyHiggi

Postby Harpo on Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:07 pm

RoyHiggi wrote:
MasterMontgomery wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

Doug

Tis very annoying when it happens. I virtually always hit driver from a full front foot stance with the exception being when I play ammy. In those times I'm always very aware of what you can hit in front off the T, been caught out quite a few times.

No wonder I can't beat you guys. :shock:
Jim
Harpo

Postby Draggon on Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:22 pm

All your comments got me curious, so I went back into a Practice round with Holes 11 & 18. I play all my rounds on Pro difficulty.

Definitely the two holes I remember it happening on, but no matter what I did I could not recreate it on Hole 11. Under Breezy conditions (4th round), I'm sure I was using a 5-Iron from the default tee location. If the wind was crossing, I would have been aiming up to 25 feet away from the pin in the direction the wind was blowing from. Regardless, I couldn't hit the shrubbery after several tries and alignments. I'm wondering if there's just a random shrubbery pixel hanging out there that I happened to clip the one time. Oh well...

As far as Hole 18 is concerned, my default Driver stance is 3 clicks down from the game's default. I rarely change it for any reason. From the default tee location, aiming center/right, I was able to clip the shrubs at least three times in about 10 swings. I'll try to add this pre-swing "check" to my routine, but it's so rare that I'll likely forget in short order... :D
Draggon

Postby Harpo on Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:44 pm

Draggon wrote:All your comments got me curious, so I went back into a Practice round with Holes 11 & 18. I play all my rounds on Pro difficulty.

Definitely the two holes I remember it happening on, but no matter what I did I could not recreate it on Hole 11. Under Breezy conditions (4th round), I'm sure I was using a 5-Iron from the default tee location. If the wind was crossing, I would have been aiming up to 25 feet away from the pin in the direction the wind was blowing from. Regardless, I couldn't hit the shrubbery after several tries and alignments. I'm wondering if there's just a random shrubbery pixel hanging out there that I happened to clip the one time. Oh well...

As far as Hole 18 is concerned, my default Driver stance is 3 clicks down from the game's default. I rarely change it for any reason. From the default tee location, aiming center/right, I was able to clip the shrubs at least three times in about 10 swings. I'll try to add this pre-swing "check" to my routine, but it's so rare that I'll likely forget in short order... :D

On 18 there is a landing area to the right side that I aim for as it is the widest. The landing area is around 270 and most of the times I hit a flop driver. I feel that if I hit a hard driver it will run through the fairway. So hitting anything in front of me I have never even considered.
Jim
Harpo

Postby Bassmaster on Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:22 pm

Draggon wrote:All your comments got me curious, so I went back into a Practice round with Holes 11 & 18. I play all my rounds on Pro difficulty.

I have found that when you're in "practice" mode things like the shrubbery in front of the tee box and other obstacles like trees do not come into play like they do in a tournament mode of play. I have done this numerous times in "practice" mode working on a shot on a certain hole only to find out it doesn't work the same way in a tournament.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:14 am

Bassmaster wrote:

I have found that when you're in "practice" mode things like the shrubbery in front of the tee box and other obstacles like trees do not come into play like they do in a tournament mode of play. I have done this numerous times in "practice" mode working on a shot on a certain hole only to find out it doesn't work the same way in a tournament.

Interesting that it might be different in practice mode. Also very interesting that someone will work on a shot on a certain hole in practice.
RoyHiggi

Postby Bassmaster on Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:47 am

RoyHiggi wrote:
Bassmaster wrote:

Interesting that it might be different in practice mode. Also very interesting that someone will work on a shot on a certain hole in practice.

I do it mainly for those driveable Par 4's with front tee boxes that have a lot of trees to hook or fade around.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby RoyHiggi on Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:02 pm

I do it mainly for those driveable Par 4's with front tee boxes that have a lot of trees to hook or fade around.

Impressed. No chance I could remember what courses have holes like that.
RoyHiggi

Postby Echoes on Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:39 pm

RoyHiggi wrote:

:lol: Me either Roy.

I was surprised to hear you say you almost always hit full front foot off the tee, We only see your 'champ' stats that show a 287 yd plus average with near 82% fairway success. I imagine the 'pro' stats are a few points higher for each by your scores. In comparison to the OP who only uses a partial front foot but is over 290 in driving average but only 73% fairway success in pro. I think he would be better off with my driving approach which is only adjusting from the stock stance when needed or when the wind is in my face. I average just under 288 yds in distance and just under 88% fairway success. Which would be higher if i didn't Intentionally land in the rough occasionally in soft conditions.
Echoes

Postby RoyHiggi on Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:26 pm

Echoes wrote:
RoyHiggi wrote:

:lol: Me either Roy.

I was surprised to hear you say you almost always hit full front foot off the tee, We only see your 'champ' stats that show a 287 yd plus average with near 82% fairway success. I imagine the 'pro' stats are a few points higher for each by your scores. In comparison to the OP who only uses a partial front foot but is over 290 in driving average but only 73% fairway success in pro. I think he would be better off with my driving approach which is only adjusting from the stock stance when needed or when the wind is in my face. I average just under 288 yds in distance and just under 88% fairway success. Which would be higher if i didn't Intentionally land in the rough occasionally in soft conditions.

All logical. The further back in the stance you go the more wayward the shot can be when you miss the snap. Significantly in champ ( and obviously elite) but a bit in pro as well which can mean the difference between fway and rough.
Like you in soft conditions I do sometimes play for rough when the green slopes back to front .If not aiming for rough I would use even a 5W, anything that gives me a shot to negate the spin a little with the approach. In ammy I would probably prefer a 4 iron to a pw.
Looking for a few extra yards on a T shot only interests me if it might help reach a green or at least get into chipping distance
RoyHiggi

Postby Echoes on Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:45 am

RoyHiggi wrote: All logical. The further back in the stance you go the more wayward the shot can be when you miss the snap. Significantly in champ ( and obviously elite) but a bit in pro as well which can mean the difference between fway and rough.
Like you in soft conditions I do sometimes play for rough when the green slopes back to front .If not aiming for rough I would use even a 5W, anything that gives me a shot to negate the spin a little with the approach. In ammy I would probably prefer a 4 iron to a pw.
Looking for a few extra yards on a T shot only interests me if it might help reach a green or at least get into chipping distance

Evidently my brain was seeing backwards as i thought you were punching your drives not flopping them. More wayward is what i was thinking when i mentioned Draggon's 73% fairway success .
I fully understand the spin negating tactics as i banned my LW and SW from fairway shots that aren't going over water many moons ago(excluding downhill lies), and replaced them with 3/4 swing PW and 9i shots.
Echoes

Next

Return to Talk About It