Pelican

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Pelican

Postby RoyHiggi on Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:13 am

wow seems we have a lot of rounds to play at Pelican with both PLSA and Classic there this week. :D

Not seen that before
RoyHiggi

Re: Pelican

Postby GoesForIt on Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:07 pm

Yeah, I didn't communicate with Mark or look at his schedule for CLSC. For what it's worth, I'll not be using MS Pelican Hill again. It's a "filler" tourney anyway.

It would be nice if an APCDer would redo it with more realistic greens. It's a nice course and reminds me a lot of the course at Marine Memorial Course at MCB, Camp Pendleton, CA (pictured). In that part of CA, they usually run courses front nine down one side of a valley and the back down the other. The water (when they get it) runs from the hills into the valley.
Attachments
MarineMemoria.JPG
MarineMemoria.JPG (46.93 KB) Viewed 11071 times
GoesForIt

Postby Bassmaster on Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:51 pm

GoesForIt wrote:Yeah, I didn't communicate with Mark or look at his schedule for CLSC. For what it's worth, I'll not be using MS Pelican Hill again. It's a "filler" tourney anyway.

It would be nice if an APCDer would redo it with more realistic greens. It's a nice course and reminds me a lot of the course at Marine Memorial Course at MCB, Camp Pendleton, CA (pictured). In that part of CA, they usually run courses front nine down one side of a valley and the back down the other. The water (when they get it) runs from the hills into the valley.

Quite honestly Pelican Hill golf course $ucx in the Links 2003 golf game and in real life. I've played this course in real life twice and it is one of the most terrible courses I've ever played.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:25 am

not to sure why Pelican is considered a poor Links course even if I have to say I don't really like it. The greens on a couple of holes are a bit crazy .13 I think and definitely 18. But the rest are tough but ok I would say. Hit a poor shot to most of the greens and you wont get an easy putt. Wrong side and a bit too far and it's a really tough putt. Thats the way it should be isn@t it?

Havent a clu what it would be like in real life.
RoyHiggi

Postby Harpo on Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:47 am

This course kills me on the par 5's. The wind always seems to be in my face and can not reach them in 2. A slight miss on an overswing always get me into the short traps and sometimes a long bunker shot is needed to get birdie. Looks like Roy either has the wind at his back or has got that missed snapped 3W down to a perfection. :shock:

Didn't eagle any in the first rd and seen many others got at least 1 or 2. Ok, Ok, I know it is just me. :oops:
Jim
Harpo

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:52 pm

Harpo wrote:This course kills me on the par 5's. The wind always seems to be in my face and can not reach them in 2. A slight miss on an overswing always get me into the short traps and sometimes a long bunker shot is needed to get birdie. Looks like Roy either has the wind at his back or has got that missed snapped 3W down to a perfection. :shock:

Didn't eagle any in the first rd and seen many others got at least 1 or 2. Ok, Ok, I know it is just me. :oops:

Don't think there was wind for on the first and last of the par 5's but I did give the ball a bit extra to get just about close enough. Ball back in the stance stuff and I think 279 ish on the first one to the pin and back in the stance again with a risky overswing on a 2 wood. Luckily I got the snap when needed.

No off snaps :lol: :lol:
RoyHiggi

Postby GoesForIt on Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:00 pm

Had a nice eagle on #1 at Pelican in Round #2
Attachments
Eagle1Pelican-2023-09-22.SHT
(3.7 KB) Downloaded 161 times
GoesForIt

Postby Harpo on Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:02 pm

GoesForIt wrote:Had a nice eagle on #1 at Pelican in Round #2

Those are always nice to start off a round. :D
Jim
Harpo

Postby Harpo on Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:05 pm

RoyHiggi wrote:
Harpo wrote:This course kills me on the par 5's. The wind always seems to be in my face and can not reach them in 2. A slight miss on an overswing always get me into the short traps and sometimes a long bunker shot is needed to get birdie. Looks like Roy either has the wind at his back or has got that missed snapped 3W down to a perfection. :shock:

Don't think there was wind for on the first and last of the par 5's but I did give the ball a bit extra to get just about close enough. Ball back in the stance stuff and I think 279 ish on the first one to the pin and back in the stance again with a risky overswing on a 2 wood. Luckily I got the snap when needed.

No off snaps :lol: :lol:

The second round was a lot better. First two eagles and missed a somewhat easy putt on the last one. All three I overswung and was lucky enough to hit the snap on all three. I usually never overswing unless I have to and that would be on a par 5.
Jim
Harpo

Postby GoesForIt on Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:28 am

Who was the [censored] who did the pin position on #18 in Round #4? Oh Wait!

Well, it cost me a big time TRIPLE on what was, for me, a stellar round otherwise. I was sure I'd hit the perfect shot... passed the hole and a fairly level putt that couldn't possibly run down the hill if I missed... but it kept trickling and went down hill. No sweat, I'll chip with a PW right up to the pin... but selected an LW for some idiotic reason and was back down the hill... then a putt that didn't make it up the hill. What a mess.
Last edited by GoesForIt on Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoesForIt

Postby MasterMontgomery on Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:22 pm

I must say M/F is a bit much for me on Pelican. Round 3 the first
par 5 on the back, i had 7 feet for eagle. Nice 6 putt. Snowman.
Too old cant keep up with the young people.

Doug :) :( :) :(
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby Sting on Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:40 am

Hiya Roy been a long time....Glad to see some of the oldies still playing.... Just loaded up and might start again...Cheers Marty Aka Sting
Sting

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:29 am

Sting wrote:Hiya Roy been a long time....Glad to see some of the oldies still playing.... Just loaded up and might start again...Cheers Marty Aka Sting

Hey Marty, I think we're all oldies on here but it's still fun so we keep bashing away :lol: :lol:
RoyHiggi

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:33 am

GoesForIt wrote:Who was the [censored] who did the pin position on #18 in Round #4? Oh Wait!

Well, it cost me a big time TRIPLE on what was, for me, a stellar round otherwise. I was sure I'd hit the perfect shot... passed the hole and a fairly level putt that couldn't possibly run down the hill if I missed... but it kept trickling and went down hill. No sweat, I'll chip with a PW right up to the pin... but selected an LW for some idiotic reason and was back down the hill... then a putt that didn't make it up the hill. What a mess.

I have to ask but how h ell did you manage to birdie 13 in round 3 :lol: :lol: My Tee shot landed behind the pin skirting the hole as it went by. 1st putt a fraction short, 2nd was a bad snap but every time it just came back to my feet. One went off the green and my chip hit the back of the hole and back :twisted: :twisted: Just checked and the only other player to play round 3 (Doug) also birdied the 13th. Did you somehow get the flat green 13th instead of the hill green :lol: :lol:

Good old snowman in the end :shock:

Cant wait for 18 in round 4
RoyHiggi

Postby GoesForIt on Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:06 am

RoyHiggi wrote:I have to ask but how h ell did you manage to birdie 13 in round 3 :lol: :lol:

Honestly, I have no recollection... but I can promise you I either hit it inside 4 feet or chipped in from the fringe. I'd like to have the exact stats, but outside 10 feet I'm sure I have more chip-ins than putts made.
GoesForIt

Next

Return to Talk About It