PLSA The Tour Championship (East Lake)

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

PLSA The Tour Championship (East Lake)

Postby GoesForIt on Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:15 pm

Okay, no more points. This is how we'll start The Tour Championship (as if RoyHiggi needed any help)

There's no way I can do this within the lspn capability. So, what I'll do is once everyone has played a round, I'll post the scores with the "head starts" below. I would ask that you play your rounds on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday this week, but I understand it will not be possible for all... just try as best you can.

You total score will always be your scratch score minus the numbers you see below. Example: I start at -5...

If I shoot an even par 72 in round #1, LSPN will show 72 and I'll be at 67.
If I shoot another 72 in round #2, LSPN will show 144 and I'll be at 139.
If I shoot another 72 in round #3, LSPN will show 216 and I'll be at 211.
If I shoot another 72 in round #34 LSPN will show 288 and I'll be at 283.

IOW, your total score will be your raw total minus the number you see below.
Attachments
TourChampionship.JPG
TourChampionship.JPG (29.87 KB) Viewed 1662 times
GoesForIt

Re: PLSA The Tour Championship (East Lake)

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:49 pm

:D My money's on Dirk if his computer or whatever works well :lol:
RoyHiggi

Postby Harpo on Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:00 pm

I think it should be just the opposite. Roy starts at +10 and so forth. That would be interesting.

There has to be some points given. Else. how do you know what position you come in at the end? Other than the winner.

Don't know how I will address the pro results. Just the given points I think.

There is no sense of me playing in the C/C final. Can't hit the fairways with this laptop.
Jim
Harpo

Postby DirkPitt on Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:16 pm

RoyHiggi wrote::D My money's on Dirk if his computer or whatever works well :lol:

Funny Roy, still playing on my laptop and as you can see from this week it is not going well. Won't get new computer until next week (plus setup). It looks like I am doing better than Harpo (Jim) but not much. My money is on you. Maybe I can give you a run next year.
Roger
DirkPitt

Postby RoyHiggi on Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:31 am

DirkPitt wrote:
RoyHiggi wrote::D My money's on Dirk if his computer or whatever works well :lol:

Funny Roy, still playing on my laptop and as you can see from this week it is not going well. Won't get new computer until next week (plus setup). It looks like I am doing better than Harpo (Jim) but not much. My money is on you. Maybe I can give you a run next year.

Hope it gets sorted soon. Always a great challenge with you and Jim if you don't have computer issues. Power to you both to keep going when it must be so frustrating
RoyHiggi

Postby GoesForIt on Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:40 am

Harpo wrote:I think it should be just the opposite. Roy starts at +10 and so forth. That would be interesting.

Couple of things. I hear you in a way, but this is PLSA and not HDCP. I know it seems like reverse handicap, but I've tried to follow the FedEx Cup protocols as close as possible. It seems more unfair I'm sure give that Higgi has dominated throughout. Life has NEVER been fair. My take is, I've got to play better. In my case, I could cut the difference between me and Higgi in half if I could putt consistently (maybe I'll go with a long-shafted putter like Lucas Gover. :lol: :lol:).

As far as laptops go, I think it's the quality of the CPU and graphics card in them. I have an ASUS gaming laptop. It has both an NVIDIA and Intel graphics capability... but for some reason, I cannot access the NVIDIA with Links 2003 1.07... a real pisser (this, even though I go into the NVIDIA setup and designate it for Links). Even if I could have accessed the NVIDIA, if you're using a computer with all kinds of protections such as real time anti-virus and malware running, I suspect you'll have issues with Links... at least occasionally. It's a bit of a pain to turn all the protections off while playing Links, then turning them back on after.

I know it's expensive, but if you can find a dedicated computer, laptop or desktop, with an NVIDIA or other high quality graphics acceleration capability, I highly recommend it.

It's also been my experience that a wired mouse is preferable to a wireless. Doesn't seem like it should make a difference, but with a wireless mouse, the movement and click signals have to be encoded at the mouse and decoded at the computer. Not so with a wired mouse.

Just my two cents.
GoesForIt

Postby Harpo on Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:07 am

GoesForIt wrote:
Harpo wrote:I think it should be just the opposite. Roy starts at +10 and so forth. That would be interesting.

Couple of things. I hear you in a way, but this is PLSA and not HDCP. I know it seems like reverse handicap, but I've tried to follow the FedEx Cup protocols as close as possible. It seems more unfair I'm sure give that Higgi has dominated throughout. Life has NEVER been fair. My take is, I've got to play better. In my case, I could cut the difference between me and Higgi in half if I could putt consistently (maybe I'll go with a long-shafted putter like Lucas Gover. :lol: :lol:).

As far as laptops go, I think it's the quality of the CPU and graphics card in them. I have an ASUS gaming laptop. It has both an NVIDIA and Intel graphics capability... but for some reason, I cannot access the NVIDIA with Links 2003 1.07... a real pisser (this, even though I go into the NVIDIA setup and designate it for Links). Even if I could have accessed the NVIDIA, if you're using a computer with all kinds of protections such as real time anti-virus and malware running, I suspect you'll have issues with Links... at least occasionally. It's a bit of a pain to turn all the protections off while playing Links, then turning them back on after.

I know it's expensive, but if you can find a dedicated computer, laptop or desktop, with an NVIDIA or other high quality graphics acceleration capability, I highly recommend it.

It's also been my experience that a wired mouse is preferable to a wireless. Doesn't seem like it should make a difference, but with a wireless mouse, the movement and click signals have to be encoded at the mouse and decoded at the computer. Not so with a wired mouse.

Just my two cents.

I know what my problem is with my laptop. As soon as I get back home from vacation and back on my desktop all will be better. I am hoping. And yes I agree with the wired mouse. That is what I use at home.

I also get where you are coming from in following the tour with the points. Never did like that new format but I guess that is what those guys played for all year to get to the top of the FedEx points.

See you guys out there ....
Jim
Harpo

Postby GoesForIt on Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:31 am

Geez! Pushed or pulled 7 putts in Round #1. Scoring is available, I certainly didn't take advantage. RATS!
GoesForIt

Postby Harpo on Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:28 pm

Glad that is over. Not going to finish my pro tourney so won't be playing again till I get back home.
Jim
Harpo

Postby GoesForIt on Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:41 pm

Harpo wrote:I also get where you are coming from in following the tour with the points. Never did like that new format but I guess that is what those guys played for all year to get to the top of the FedEx points...."

I will say, I'm glad it doesn't just go by accumulated points. Even starting at -10, given bad rounds by Higgi and good rounds by Harpo, MasterMontgomery and DirkPitt (on their good computers)... well, you never know.

It will never be perfect but I'm glad they cut back on, what was it 130?... To starting at 70, 50, 30.

For the pros who would like a break between now and Jan 2024, I sort of like the idea of no FedEx points after this until Jan 2024... even though there will still be tournaments. Just my opinion, there are guys in that top 30 who won events that were not near as competitive between Aug-Dec 2022. I like it for them $$$ wise, just not sure they're really top 30.

I mean what if started FedEx anew next week and Higgi didn't want to play until January... Heck, he'd still probably end up winning but I hope you get my point. Maybe they should make some of the Aug-Dec tournaments "designated" events just to draw more top players and TV audiences.

One thing for sure, I'll have no input with the PGA, but will be guided in the PLSA by their decisions.
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:34 am

Woe is me. Same FIR as round #3. Same GIR as round #3. One really stupid 3-putt. On 18 let up on mouse switch then compounded the error on release. Was way off to the left. Probably lucky to have a par putt at all and a bogey for the hole. RATS!

Not giving any hints really, but below the hole is huge. Above and pin high give some pretty bendy putts. I didn't have a straight one outside 5 feet.
GoesForIt

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:04 am

GoesForIt wrote:Woe is me. Same FIR as round #3. Same GIR as round #3. One really stupid 3-putt. On 18 let up on mouse switch then compounded the error on release. Was way off to the left. Probably lucky to have a par putt at all and a bogey for the hole. RATS!

Not giving any hints really, but below the hole is huge. Above and pin high give some pretty bendy putts. I didn't have a straight one outside 5 feet.

I think woe is me for everyone on this course :lol: Tough, unrelenting long. Not sure what adjectives really describe the course best. But having played it a lot in recent weeks I am glad it's over and I won't be looking forward to it coming back. :lol: :lol: :lol:

playing the last 2 rounds and all I could think about was it will be over soon. Concentration like that helped me to miss a 4 foot putt for birdie because I forgot about the snap :oops: :oops: 12 feet back for par.
RoyHiggi

Return to Talk About It