PLSA Charles Schwab

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

PLSA Charles Schwab

Postby GoesForIt on Sat May 27, 2023 2:01 pm

I really like Colonial. I love that you have to say that because in the first two rounds I had 85% and 93% DIFs. My opinion might change if I lose control of the big stick... actually the middle and small stick on some holes.
GoesForIt

Re: PLSA Charles Schwab

Postby GoesForIt on Sun May 28, 2023 7:11 am

Psych'd myself out in round #4. 92% of fairways, but couldn't hit the snap on an approach to save my round... and the subtle breaks on the putts... I'm just a psych case.

2nd place is wide open now.
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Mon May 29, 2023 6:51 am

Doug (MM), fantastic final round. You must have been hitting on all cylinders.
GoesForIt

Postby MasterMontgomery on Mon May 29, 2023 7:22 am

Round 3 was a struggle, but round
4 things came easy. I was able
to get the approach shot close.
But Ronnie is playing well an
Roy is untouchable..

Douglas
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby albatros on Mon May 29, 2023 10:50 am

afraid i will not contest much for the foreseeable future ;{ switched (finally) from a window 7 lap-top to windows ten with a large monitor. Whilst the eye candy is terrific i keep missing thing by just a hair a lot. i would hate to go back to old equipment so i am going to attempt to acclimate to the new stuff ;}

i also enjoy the pro mode more, so i may not subject myself to the "torture" ( :mrgreen: ) of champ challenge to often.

the up side was that in the champ chall mode par was a pretty good goal.

to fairways and greens!!!

albatros

a bouncing never sleeps
albatros

Postby RonnieSmith on Tue May 30, 2023 12:44 pm

GoesForIt wrote:Doug (MM), fantastic final round. You must have been hitting on all cylinders.

Let me echo that. I really enjoy Colonial as well. You have to think off the tee and on the approaches. Since the par 5's are essentially unreachable, I swapped in the 2W for the 1W to try to hit more fairways. I also swapped out my 5W and put in the 4W as it is very helpful on some par 4 tee shots and also dealing with hole #4.

The combination of lots of side slopes and MF greens still baffles me mostly!

Cheers,

Ronnie
RonnieSmith

Postby Harpo on Tue May 30, 2023 12:57 pm

RonnieSmith wrote:
GoesForIt wrote:Doug (MM), fantastic final round. You must have been hitting on all cylinders.

Let me echo that. I really enjoy Colonial as well. You have to think off the tee and on the approaches. Since the par 5's are essentially unreachable, I swapped in the 2W for the 1W to try to hit more fairways. I also swapped out my 5W and put in the 4W as it is very helpful on some par 4 tee shots and also dealing with hole #4.

Cheers,

Ronnie

I don't understand the 1W for the 2W swap. I use the 2W in Elite when I play because it is more fargiving (get that ad) off the tee.
Jim
Harpo

Postby RoyHiggi on Tue May 30, 2023 3:44 pm

Harpo wrote:
RonnieSmith wrote:

Cheers,

Ronnie

I don't understand the 1W for the 2W swap. I use the 2W in Elite when I play because it is more fargiving (get that ad) off the tee.

I always have a 1W, 2W, 3W ,4W and 5W in the bag whether ammy ,pro, champ or elite mode of play.
RoyHiggi

Postby RonnieSmith on Tue May 30, 2023 7:35 pm

Harpo wrote:
RonnieSmith wrote:

Cheers,

Ronnie

The same principle applies in Champ mode as well.

Ronnie
RonnieSmith

Postby Harpo on Tue May 30, 2023 7:57 pm

Maybe I miss read what you did. So you used the 2W instead of the 1W? That makes more sense. I thought you were using the 2W and then replaced it with the 1W.

My bad I think.
Jim
Harpo

Postby GoesForIt on Wed May 31, 2023 1:26 am

RoyHiggi wrote: I always have a 1W, 2W, 3W ,4W and 5W in the bag whether ammy ,pro, champ or elite mode of play.

Curious Roy, which irons do you give up in order to have 5 woods? I have 1,3,5 and give up the 2 iron. All three are played 2 clicks back in my stance by default for a bit of distance. I adjust the default as needed for the shot. I always try to hit full shots when I can for swing consistency. For example I play LW full forward in stance is approx 60 yds.

I often go 3W off the tee for control on tight courses.

For Albatros, I feel for you on transitioning. I'm not rich, but I got a decent Lenovo desktop from CostCo and it's my Links computer exclusively. No virus or other protections running in the background. I have a A/B switch to go between my work and Links computer sharing the monitor/mouse/keyboard. I use a Logitec wired mouse.
GoesForIt

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed May 31, 2023 3:23 am

GoesForIt wrote:
RoyHiggi wrote: I always have a 1W, 2W, 3W ,4W and 5W in the bag whether ammy ,pro, champ or elite mode of play.

Curious Roy, which irons do you give up in order to have 5 woods? I have 1,3,5 and give up the 2 iron. All three are played 2 clicks back in my stance by default for a bit of distance. I adjust the default as needed for the shot. I always try to hit full shots when I can for swing consistency. For example I play LW full forward in stance is approx 60 yds.

I often go 3W off the tee for control on tight courses.

For Albatros, I feel for you on transitioning. I'm not rich, but I got a decent Lenovo desktop from CostCo and it's my Links computer exclusively. No virus or other protections running in the background. I have a A/B switch to go between my work and Links computer sharing the monitor/mouse/keyboard. I use a Logitec wired mouse.

my irons are LW, SW PW,9,8,7,6,4. The 6 and 4 irons cover a lot of distances for me
RoyHiggi

Postby GoesForIt on Wed May 31, 2023 7:58 am

RoyHiggi wrote:my irons are LW, SW PW,9,8,7,6,4. The 6 and 4 irons cover a lot of distances for me

That is very interesting. I can kind of see it... and certainly cannot argue with your results. Hole #7 at Carey Park Municipal Golf Course is a par 5 with a tree right in the middle of the fairway (IRL too). If I can't drive to the left of it, I'm often sitting with 230 yds to the hole. I put a 4 iron way back in my stance to hit under that tree and it will make it to the green and sometimes over if I hit the snap. I sometimes use a 5W in place of what would be a long iron (distance wise) if I want to get a softer landing... but 3/4 swings are iffy for me.
GoesForIt

Postby albatros on Wed May 31, 2023 10:10 am

interesting club selections ... i have almost always used all the woods and give up the 7 iron and the 9 iron since the flop on the 6 and the 8 irons are very close to the other respective distances.

i still have my old lap top and it still plays okay but will probably stay with my desktop and may fool with smaller swing meter.

the game is still fun and the pro mode being more forgiving is not as frustrating as that wicked champ challenge ;]~

since i do not make my living from playing this golf i will have to put up with shooting scores that i am not used to.

interesting thread and reading what some other players choose to put in their bags.

albatros

a bouncing ball never sleeps.
albatros

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed May 31, 2023 11:09 am

GoesForIt wrote:
RoyHiggi wrote:my irons are LW, SW PW,9,8,7,6,4. The 6 and 4 irons cover a lot of distances for me

That is very interesting. I can kind of see it... and certainly cannot argue with your results. Hole #7 at Carey Park Municipal Golf Course is a par 5 with a tree right in the middle of the fairway (IRL too). If I can't drive to the left of it, I'm often sitting with 230 yds to the hole. I put a 4 iron way back in my stance to hit under that tree and it will make it to the green and sometimes over if I hit the snap. I sometimes use a 5W in place of what would be a long iron (distance wise) if I want to get a softer landing... but 3/4 swings are iffy for me.

I am useless at 3/4 swings or basically anything less than a full swing or just past. I will always play shorter so i have a full swing unless i know I can get within chipping distance.
I dont recall that one at Carey Park but would it be practical to lay back and have a full 3W which would clear the tree is it has to?
RoyHiggi

Next

Return to Talk About It