Openin up myself to ridicule

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Openin up myself to ridicule

Postby GoesForIt on Wed May 24, 2023 8:30 am

I'm always curious. It seems to me that Moderate(Challenging)/Fast(Challenging) is as close to IRL as Links is going to get. Maybe Firm(Challenging)/Fast(Challenging) for major tournaments as long as the pin positions are fair.

When I look at the PLSA (Pro (Challenging)) and PLSA (Pro) and see scores often -16 to better than -20/round, I wonder why more players don't graduate to Champ (Challenging)? Higgi plays PLSA (Pro) and when he plays PLSA (Champ (Challenging)) he still beats the tar out of all of us (he has a perfect record for the FedEx Cup)... with almost as good a scores as he posts elsewhere.

I really thought starting the FedEx Cup deal would draw a ton of players. It has drawn a few and I'll say maybe Higgi has been a deterrent as the numbers have waned since he started. Still, I'm glad to have him and wish others would follow. Doug (MasterMontgomery) didn't play Champ before the FedEx deal, but has become a top player.

It's only my opinion and philosophy, but I play Links as a golf simulation and want it to be as close to IRL (for me) as possible.

I welcome the thoughts of others... just don't be trolls.
GoesForIt

Re: Openin up myself to ridicule

Postby GoBucks on Wed May 24, 2023 8:40 am

GoesForIt wrote:
I wonder why more players don't graduate to Champ (Challenging)?

The age-old Links question.
Numerous answers. but it's basically that they don't want to. I played Champ(Chal) for years. It wasn't fun anymore so I stepped back.
No matter where you go, there you are!
GoBucks

Postby Harpo on Wed May 24, 2023 9:30 am

Doug, with my wife and I coming down with influenza A this week I don't know if I will get in my last 3 rds. May give it a go. Was coughing so much in rd 2 I had to bail and take a nap.

As far as champ/challenge it is a fun change and sometimes a par is as good as a birdie. I still get those 3 putts and get fooled by that downhill putt that goes racing by.
Jim
Harpo

Postby Bassmaster on Wed May 24, 2023 9:34 am

Harpo wrote:Doug, with my wife and I coming down with influenza A this week I don't know if I will get in my last 3 rds. May give it a go. Was coughing so much in rd 2 I had to bail and take a nap.

As far as champ/challenge it is a fun change and sometimes a par is as good as a birdie. I still get those 3 putts and get fooled by that downhill putt that goes racing by.

I hope you start feeling better soon.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby Harpo on Wed May 24, 2023 6:18 pm

Yikes, 2 over after 9 holes in that last round and ready to give up. 7 birdies in the last 9 and just managed to edge by for maybe second. Could not hit a fairway on the front with some bad chips.

And thanks Rick, feeling a lot better than the wife.
Jim
Harpo

Postby GoesForIt on Thu May 25, 2023 4:01 pm

Harpo wrote:Doug, with my wife and I coming down with influenza A this week I don't know if I will get in my last 3 rds. May give it a go. Was coughing so much in rd 2 I had to bail and take a nap.

You gotta get better.
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Thu May 25, 2023 4:09 pm

GoBucks wrote:
GoesForIt wrote:
I wonder why more players don't graduate to Champ (Challenging)?

The age-old Links question.
Numerous answers. but it's basically that they don't want to. I played Champ(Chal) for years. It wasn't fun anymore so I stepped back.

Being on the golf team in high school and junior college (1 year)... and sometimes being stationed where I could play regularly while in the Marine Corps, golf was fun when I was on a hot streak, but playing well or not it was always the challenge to improve that kept me coming back.

I too got sick and tired of (Challenging) on the PLSA because the pin positions were often ridiculous. That's why I asked Mark to let me do it. The first year it was a ton of work. Now, it's just doing some substitute courses when the schedule changes and major tournaments that are not played on the same course every year.
GoesForIt

Return to Talk About It