Prairie Dunes CC

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Prairie Dunes CC

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon May 15, 2023 5:49 am

Are the greens here the toughest around especially when the pin positions are made tough?

I can imagine playing challenging conditions there on quick greens would be fun :lol: :lol: :lol:
RoyHiggi

Re: Prairie Dunes CC

Postby GoesForIt on Mon May 15, 2023 3:12 pm

Having played Prairie Dunes as a High School and Junior College golf team member and once at my 30th HS reunion, I think Steve Avery has done a fabulous job with Prairie Dunes 2008. Under normal circumstances, the rough is just rough until you get the scrub and yucca plants. Steve put a narrow strip of ROUGH, then DEEP ROUGH and finally TALL GRASS (for the scrub and yucca). So Steve's DEEP rough is a bit too penalizing and the TALL GRASS not penalizing enough. I'm telling you, the only way out of the scrub and yucca IRL is to try to hack it to the rough.

The greens are accurate as far as remember them. They role a lot but I've not seen any extreme pin positions when I've set that course up for tournament play... meaning no pins on the side of steep slopes or on the crest of a mound.

Prairie Dunes has hosted a number of important tournaments over the years including the old Trans-Mississippi.

Trans-Mississippi Amateur: 1958, 1973, 1987, 1996, 2005, 2017
U.S. Women's Amateur: 1964, 1980, 1991
Curtis Cup Match: 1986
U.S. Mid-Amateur: 1988
U.S. Senior Amateur: 1995
U.S. Women's Open: 2002
U.S. Senior Open: 2006
NCAA Division I Men's Golf Championships: 2014
Kansas Amateur : 1962, 1967, 1976, 1984, 1993, 2010

It's a little hard for me to see how Prairie Dunes survives. Hutchinson, KS is clearly a dying town.
Attachments
PD.jpg
PD.jpg (162.68 KB) Viewed 2144 times
GoesForIt

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon May 15, 2023 3:32 pm

That's an impressive cv for the course.
Don't get me wrong as I think the challenge is good because it's tough on the greens.
RoyHiggi

Postby JackRussellTerror on Mon May 15, 2023 3:56 pm

apart from being frazzled by the elephants buried in the greens, i am still trying to work out the tee shot on the par 4 dogleg left 14th ! if you aim to the right rough, take a driver punch (to get under that tree), close clubface 1 degree, hit about 10/6 ........... and i usually find the fairway. But surely there must be a better way ! what do others do ?

stoopid place to put a tree in front of the tee :o
(or is that "stoopid place to put a tee in front of a tree" :lol: )

R.
JackRussellTerror

Postby RoyHiggi on Tue May 16, 2023 1:20 am

JackRussellTerror wrote:apart from being frazzled by the elephants buried in the greens, i am still trying to work out the tee shot on the par 4 dogleg left 14th ! if you aim to the right rough, take a driver punch (to get under that tree), close clubface 1 degree, hit about 10/6 ........... and i usually find the fairway. But surely there must be a better way ! what do others do ?

R.

I just aim sort of straight ahead making sure I miss the tree by plenty and put a very big draw on it. I think its an 8 draw if that makes sense.
RoyHiggi

Postby Pitch on Tue May 16, 2023 5:46 am

RoyHiggi wrote:
JackRussellTerror wrote:apart from being frazzled by the elephants buried in the greens, i am still trying to work out the tee shot on the par 4 dogleg left 14th ! if you aim to the right rough, take a driver punch (to get under that tree), close clubface 1 degree, hit about 10/6 ........... and i usually find the fairway. But surely there must be a better way ! what do others do ?

R.

I just aim sort of straight ahead making sure I miss the tree by plenty and put a very big draw on it. I think its an 8 draw if that makes sense.

8 degrees ( bottom ) is pretty much !! :)

allwas gone with flop 3w or 2w right at it !

O
Pitch

Postby Echoes on Tue May 16, 2023 10:52 am

@JRT flopped 3w leaving about 95 yds to the front of the green
Echoes

Postby GoesForIt on Tue May 16, 2023 12:28 pm

RoyHiggi wrote:That's an impressive cv for the course.
Don't get me wrong as I think the challenge is good because it's tough on the greens.

The problem is what you'll be playing for CLSC is (LS)... which I understand because it is CLSC (old courses). There are obstacles in the LS version that Steve Avery took care of. It's a shame they ever existed. The tree below is not there. The tree overhanging 18 tee is not there.
Attachments
NoTree-1.jpg
NoTree-1.jpg (75.76 KB) Viewed 2023 times
GoesForIt

Postby JackRussellTerror on Tue May 16, 2023 2:35 pm

crikey Roy, that 8 Draw is a lot, turning 90 degrees, but it WORKS ! .............. this is reminding me of DEVILS :wink:
yes, i've just discovered a 3W Flop over that tree on 14 after finishing thec event. Better late than never i spose ! next time ......
8)
JackRussellTerror

Postby GoesForIt on Tue May 16, 2023 5:31 pm

So, I'm playing CLSC for fun. Shoot -11 in round #1 and +1 in Round #1. I felt like I was playing a lower-case Devil's island. Those pin positions are ridiculous. Nobody plays CLSC anymore. I guess I'm a gluten for punishment.
GoesForIt

Postby Harpo on Tue May 16, 2023 7:55 pm

Wow, step counting wore me out in rd 2 and 3 and it wasn't working. :shock: Also missed a couple of easy ones. With so many bounces on the greens there is almost no sense of aiming. :roll: Seemed like I was on the wrong side of the hole most of those two rounds. A tough course to score low on for sure.
Jim
Harpo

Postby Echoes on Tue May 16, 2023 11:13 pm

GoesForIt wrote:So, I'm playing CLSC for fun. Shoot -11 in round #1 and +1 in Round #1. I felt like I was playing a lower-case Devil's island. Those pin positions are ridiculous. Nobody plays CLSC anymore. I guess I'm a gluten for punishment.

Who is Nobody? You have proclaimed he doesn't play the Flight and now the CLSC. HE must be you, you denigrate those tourneys while offering the one you control in Sweden when it was played @ TPC Craig Ranch in McKinney Texas which was rereleased in August last year after correcting green issues.
Echoes

Postby GoesForIt on Wed May 24, 2023 8:12 am

Echoes wrote:
GoesForIt wrote:So, I'm playing CLSC for fun. Shoot -11 in round #1 and +1 in Round #1. I felt like I was playing a lower-case Devil's island. Those pin positions are ridiculous. Nobody plays CLSC anymore. I guess I'm a gluten for punishment.

Who is Nobody? You have proclaimed he doesn't play the Flight and now the CLSC. HE must be you, you denigrate those tourneys while offering the one you control in Sweden when it was played @ TPC Craig Ranch in McKinney Texas which was rereleased in August last year after correcting green issues.

I'm speaking only of (Challenging). Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. I guess they play in Pro and Amateur.

If I had the time, I'd help Mark with pin positions on all the CLSC courses... just don't have that much time. Some of those positions are crazy.
GoesForIt

Return to Talk About It