Good & Bad of Online Golf!

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Good & Bad of Online Golf!

Postby chrispy2808 on Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:56 pm

Firstly the bad!
Late last year I had a hard drive crash. Despite my best efforts & help from many I was unable to get Links playing properly in Windows 10.
The game certainly needs an update!
I was then resigned to not getting my game fix everyday & this was driving me up the wall!
Now the good
About three weeks ago in desperation I did a search for golf games.
I found WGT so I thought I'd give it a go.
Well first up it wasn't a lot of fun, the courses looked nowhere as good as Links& the play was certainly different.
But I persevered & as I came to understand it I began to really enjoy it.
There are a lot more challenges involved as you get further in.
I really enjoy the face to face games which are over 1 , 2 or 9 holes.

To sum up I would prefer to play Links but I would still put time into WGT as I'm finding it good fun!

I say don't knock it till you try it.

PS anybody here play it?

Cheers
chrispy2808

Re: Good & Bad of Online Golf!

Postby Echoes on Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:54 pm

I tried it...it was garbage compared to this game.

Half the world plays links on Windows 11 these days, what's your problem?
Echoes

Postby chrispy2808 on Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:19 pm

Echoes wrote:I tried it...it was garbage compared to this game.

Wow mate very gracious!
chrispy2808

Postby Echoes on Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:24 pm

chrispy2808 wrote:

Wow mate very gracious!

Well i'm sorry that i have nothing good or gracious to say about the WGT game, but i find it very arcadish.

As far as links is concerned, the game will play on any operating system windows has to offer, but it won't play satisfactorily on over half the computers out there that people try to install the game on.
Echoes

Postby RoyHiggi on Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:51 am

Echoes wrote:
chrispy2808 wrote:

Wow mate very gracious!

Well i'm sorry that i have nothing good or gracious to say about the WGT game, but i find it very arcadish.

As far as links is concerned, the game will play on any operating system windows has to offer, but it won't play satisfactorily on over half the computers out there that people try to install the game on.

I'm still on Windows 7 but probably it wont last much longer :lol: :lol:
RoyHiggi

Postby Pitch on Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:16 am

RoyHiggi wrote:
I'm still on Windows 7 but probably it wont last much longer :lol: :lol:

.... still waiting in Gameranger btw ;)

...on win7 here too .. runs fine most times ... but getting more and unstable esp. on startup / blue screens.
Bought new pc with win 11 ... g
Just cant wait till unpack it and try install links .. :roll: :roll: :roll:
hopefully this year .. :)

O
Pitch

Postby GoesForIt on Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:11 pm

chrispy2808 wrote:... The game certainly needs an update! ...Cheers

More bad news. There will be no update to Links unless there are some hacks like Pro Distance mod. I've heard a hundred different reasons why from no developers to lost code. Regardless, what you see is what you get. I'm playing Links 2003 1.07 on Windows 10 earlier and Windows 11 now.

From looking at the stats on driving that I see, I don't think many are using the Pro Distance mod. If anyone is, I have no problem with it.
GoesForIt

Postby Harpo on Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:57 pm

GoesForIt wrote:

More bad news. There will be no update to Links unless there are some hacks like Pro Distance mod. I've heard a hundred different reasons why from no developers to lost code. Regardless, what you see is what you get. I'm playing Links 2003 1.07 on Windows 10 earlier and Windows 11 now.

From looking at the stats on driving that I see, I don't think many are using the Pro Distance mod. If anyone is, I have no problem with it.

I did not think that it was possible to run Pro Distance here? Maybe why most players can reach some of the par 5's that I can't. I figured that the program would detect it and not run. Is anyone using this? Come on now, don't be shy. When I look at the guys stats for the rounds that I play with it does not appear that they are hitting the drives much longer than I. I do not go over the 12 o'clock power on an average. When I do it is on a wide open fairway or by accident. So I don't think it is happening from what I see but what do I know. :shock:
Jim
Harpo

Postby RoyHiggi on Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:06 pm

Harpo wrote:
GoesForIt wrote:

I did not think that it was possible to run Pro Distance here? Maybe why most players can reach some of the par 5's that I can't. I figured that the program would detect it and not run. Is anyone using this? Come on now, don't be shy. When I look at the guys stats for the rounds that I play with it does not appear that they are hitting the drives much longer than I. I do not go over the 12 o'clock power on an average. When I do it is on a wide open fairway or by accident. So I don't think it is happening from what I see but what do I know. :shock:

Don't use it , dont know anything about it. If I only hit 12 oclock its a miss hit :lol:

I usually go past 12 but not by far unless the hole needs it to reach a green in two ( even then you're not looking at more than a few yards maybe 10 with luck) and also as long as there can be an element of safety as long as you miss snap on the correct side.
RoyHiggi

Postby Echoes on Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:42 pm

RoyHiggi wrote:
Don't use it , dont know anything about it. If I only hit 12 oclock its a miss hit :lol:

I usually go past 12 but not by far unless the hole needs it to reach a green in two ( even then you're not looking at more than a few yards maybe 10 with luck) and also as long as there can be an element of safety as long as you miss snap on the correct side.

Miss the snap on the correct side? As in the opposite of ob or water? :lol:

Jim the Pro distance Mod can't be used on the links tour, or at least it couldn't when the site was fully functional.
Echoes

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:23 am

Echoes wrote:
RoyHiggi wrote:

Miss the snap on the correct side? As in the opposite of ob or water? :lol:

Jim the Pro distance Mod can't be used on the links tour, or at least it couldn't when the site was fully functional.

OB ,water, trees or anything. Managing to miss the snap on the safe side is even more important when playing champ or elite mode.
RoyHiggi

Return to Talk About It