Speaking of sand...

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Speaking of sand...

Postby GoesForIt on Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:15 am

... we were speaking of sand weren't we?

Has anyone figured a way on long bunkers shots? Not explosions. I've hit a little short of the 5 O'Clock, a little long on the 5 O'Clock and what I think is absolutely the snap of the 5 O'Clock and it still seems to be totally random how the ball comes out.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-21 100439.jpg
Screenshot 2023-03-21 100439.jpg (29.66 KB) Viewed 1405 times
GoesForIt

Re: Speaking of sand...

Postby RoyHiggi on Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:54 pm

Sorry not a clue. If i somehow get one right it's celebration time :lol:
RoyHiggi

Postby BitLeft on Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:02 pm

So, in the spirit of getting out of it what you put into it, I'll offer this re. Sand. Can't offhand tell you where I picked this concept up or for sure I would credit that individual - I'm thinking somewhere on Links Corner Community Board. As with most 'charts' I took the idea and vetted it myself, using - as I have mentioned before - #119 Golfcom Tees. It remains my go to for chart development.

Anyways this is what I call the "Squig" method - trademark pending :lol: - the squiggly little thing on an obscure part of your keyboard ~~~~~ . I really have found this to be a reliably repeatable way of dealing with green side bunkers from about 23 feet to 42 yards. I think originally it was done with a SW - duh. But I wanted a 4W in my bag, so I scrapped the SW and survive between an LW and a PW.

Cautionary notes - the LW and PW 17/6 options I find really hard to target, and the distance range they offer is pretty much covered by the Squig charts. Also it's imperative to map out the entire trajectory from +4 above Default to -10 below, if you want the full range of distance options. Last but not least, the results are WAY different if the ball is dismally up or down slope, so I used Golfcom to develop two alternative charts for those situations. I am aware of the plugged ball syndrome but since that's really hard to produce and chart off of, plugged remain a crap shoot shot for me.

For some off the wall reason I always think of Brooke and Brittany Henderson when I'm doing the sand shots, picturing Britt tell Brooke "you need a 17 squig at 2 below default". I'm sure I overheard her say that last August.
Attachments
Sand Shots.jpg
Sand Shots.jpg (92.56 KB) Viewed 1347 times
BitLeft

Postby dick_burt on Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:08 pm

You might want to check out the sand.jpg chart located here for green side
bunker play:
It's inside the putting_sand_charts.zip file
https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=71
D i c k Burt
dick_burt

Postby BitLeft on Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:28 am

dick_burt wrote:You might want to check out the sand.jpg chart located here for green side
bunker play:

Well I may not have remembered you, but I at least got the Links Corner part right! So are you the Grandfather of the Sand Squig Save? I owe you if that's the case! Now if you can just fix the rest of my game...
BitLeft

Postby RoyHiggi on Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:19 am

it's really the fairway bunker shots which seem like hit and hope.
RoyHiggi

Postby K-Man on Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:47 am

BitLeft wrote:So, in the spirit of getting out of it what you put into it, I'll offer this re. Sand. Can't offhand tell you where I picked this concept up or for sure I would credit that individual - I'm thinking somewhere on Links Corner Community Board. As with most 'charts' I took the idea and vetted it myself, using - as I have mentioned before - #119 Golfcom Tees. It remains my go to for chart development.

Anyways this is what I call the "Squig" method - trademark pending :lol: - the squiggly little thing on an obscure part of your keyboard ~~~~~ . I really have found this to be a reliably repeatable way of dealing with green side bunkers from about 23 feet to 42 yards. I think originally it was done with a SW - duh. But I wanted a 4W in my bag, so I scrapped the SW and survive between an LW and a PW.

Cautionary notes - the LW and PW 17/6 options I find really hard to target, and the distance range they offer is pretty much covered by the Squig charts. Also it's imperative to map out the entire trajectory from +4 above Default to -10 below, if you want the full range of distance options. Last but not least, the results are WAY different if the ball is dismally up or down slope, so I used Golfcom to develop two alternative charts for those situations. I am aware of the plugged ball syndrome but since that's really hard to produce and chart off of, plugged remain a crap shoot shot for me.

For some off the wall reason I always think of Brooke and Brittany Henderson when I'm doing the sand shots, picturing Britt tell Brooke "you need a 17 squig at 2 below default". I'm sure I overheard her say that last August.

Seems to me that Cartpath's sand chart is much simpler and all you need around the greens. At least for 1.05 version.
K-Man

Postby dick_burt on Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:48 am

BitLeft wrote:
dick_burt wrote:You might want to check out the sand.jpg chart located here for green side
bunker play:

Well I may not have remembered you, but I at least got the Links Corner part right! So are you the Grandfather of the Sand Squig Save? I owe you if that's the case! Now if you can just fix the rest of my game...

This chart is an old bub's golf instruction - sand chart from 2000..
anyone remember?
D i c k Burt
dick_burt

Postby BitLeft on Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:02 pm

This chart is an old bub's golf instruction - sand chart from 2000..
anyone remember?[/quote]

Indeed. Good old Bub. Takes me back to the days of my youth :lol: Still use his Wind charts. At least I think they're from him. Man am I ever glad I took everything with me when I left the Matrimonial Home (Sweet Home).
BitLeft

Postby RoyHiggi on Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:51 pm

BitLeft wrote:This chart is an old bub's golf instruction - sand chart from 2000..
anyone remember?

Indeed. Good old Bub. Takes me back to the days of my youth :lol: Still use his Wind charts. At least I think they're from him. Man am I ever glad I took everything with me when I left the Matrimonial Home (Sweet Home).[/quote]

There's wind charts as well :lol: :lol:
RoyHiggi

Postby Harpo on Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:01 pm

Roy, you c r a c k me up. I can just picture your desk/computer room. Wind charts on the left wall, putting charts on the right wall, 3w off-swing snap with George's pic above the monitor with a notebook on every hole ever played. Come on, you are not fooling us with that, "What they have that stuff". :roll:

It's good that we can kid each other. Right? :shock:
Jim
Harpo

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:15 am

Harpo wrote:Roy, you c r a c k me up. I can just picture your desk/computer room. Wind charts on the left wall, putting charts on the right wall, 3w off-swing snap with George's pic above the monitor with a notebook on every hole ever played. Come on, you are not fooling us with that, "What they have that stuff". :roll:

It's good that we can kid each other. Right? :shock:

Sorry to disappoint you but I've not got any charts. Never had never will :lol: :lol: My little desk has a pc monitor and a keyboard.

I have obviously heard all about the putting charts but had no clue there were any wind charts. As for the off snap thing I can't believe even George would have had charts for that. :shock:
RoyHiggi

Return to Talk About It