Innisbrook

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Re: Innisbrook

Postby Bassmaster on Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:50 am

JackRussellTerror wrote:
Bassmaster wrote:Never ever did understand the "step counting" procedure. I put mainly past experiences and feel.

"come to the dark side Luke" .......
there's still time for you to learn the "step counting process" Rick !

Let's hear it! Do some explaining and teaching. lol
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby albatros on Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:38 am

could always built (or hire/by) an "iron byron" and voila no need for magnifying glasses :mrgreen:

albatros

a bouncing ball never sleeps
albatros

Postby Harpo on Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:14 pm

[quote="Bassmaster"
Let's hear it! Do some explaining and teaching. lol[/quote]

Rick, step counting is a little more than just counting the steps when putting. I know some that just count the steps on the high side of the hole and have some kind of formula that they use to figure out where to aim and then the power to hit the putt at. Some like to count the steps on both sides of the hole and plug it into their "whatever" to figure it out. There are several that like to use the BLI which I could never figure out.

Counting steps is adding up the number of times the grid marks steps down. (figure one) 6 steps on both the high side and low side. That is all step counting is as long as you have a means of figuring out where to aim and how hard to putt. You also have to look at the slope (uphill or downhill) and distance.

Figure 2 shows a program I wrote a long time ago with Visual Basic to figure this out. (I DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAM NOW) :roll:

I would aim 2 inches to the left and hit the 8th power dot on the large swingmeter.

There is also one other big factor. A long time ago most of us played links in 800 x 600? I forget the exact resolution. Now with the new monitors and wide screens these so called step are at different numbers. Everyone is not using the same resolution so one players step count may look different than another. I know I had to adjust when I switched.

Thats kind of it in a nutshell but I think you may have already knew this?

Jim
Harpo

Postby pmgolf on Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:32 pm

It amazes me when I see how creative Links fans get when it comes to figuring out how to play the game! Great job, Harpo, even though technology has moved past it!

Pete
pmgolf

Postby Echoes on Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:12 pm

pmgolf wrote:It amazes me when I see how creative Links fans get when it comes to figuring out how to play the game! Great job, Harpo, even though technology has moved past it!

Pete

You have to remember there was some serious cash being offered back in 2000 when Paul Willey beat Mike Schuetz 2 and 1 to get handed a 100k check by Joe Montana in Hawaii.12,000 entered at the zone. Mike offered a program to calculate each shot a couple years later. For a price of course :)
Echoes

Postby JackRussellTerror on Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:32 pm

good explain by Harpo.
all you do is count the total steps on the high side, which in Harpos example is 6, and on a green with no uphill, nor downhil to the hole, you aim 6 inches to the left of the hole in that example (the high side) IF its a Medium Moderate green. So the total steps on the high side is the number of INCHES you aim (left or right). you also need to take into account the green speed, if it is FF SS or SM etc etc ! ALSO you take into account whether it is uphill or downhill . If the green is SS you aim less than the 6 inches, if FF you aim more than the 6 inches and everything else in between. Uphill, you aim less than those 6 inches, downhill you aim more than those 6 inches. So you coumt the "steps" on the highside on EACH left to right grid line which are in between the golfer and the hole. So count your steps, then make your adjustments ! i don't count the low side steps, just the high side............ 8)

EDIT: another thing - if you faced Harpos putt, you aim 6 inches to the left, and on a MF speed green, 5 inches downhill to the hill, you aim according to past experience and FEEL ! But 6 inches is your starting point . On Harpos putt aiming 6 inches to the left, MF, 5 inches downhill to the hole, i might be aiming 10 inches to the left, depending on how i FEEL about the putt at the time. Experience, FEEL ........
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:00 am

OMG :roll: :roll: no wonder some folf take so long to play a round if that's what happens before making a putt.

Pmgolf said even though technology has moved past it! Not sure what that refers to.
RoyHiggi

Postby pmgolf on Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:14 am

RoyHiggi wrote:OMG :roll: :roll: no wonder some folf take so long to play a round if that's what happens before making a putt.

Pmgolf said even though technology has moved past it! Not sure what that refers to.

Harpo indicated that the program he wrote was pre-widescreen, and that widescreen had changed things. That's what I meant by "technology (ie. widescreen) has moved past" some of the shortcuts we used to use.

Pete
pmgolf

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:27 am

pmgolf wrote:
RoyHiggi wrote:OMG :roll: :roll: no wonder some folf take so long to play a round if that's what happens before making a putt.

Harpo indicated that the program he wrote was pre-widescreen, and that widescreen had changed things. That's what I meant by "technology (ie. widescreen) has moved past" some of the shortcuts we used to use.

Pete

Thx Pete. All from a different planet to me :lol: :lol:
RoyHiggi

Postby GoesForIt on Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:27 am

MasterMontgomery wrote:.... Makes it
tough for step counters.

Doug

What are "step counters"??????
GoesForIt

Postby Bassmaster on Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:54 am

That was my first thought Roy. Thanks to Harpo for explaining this to me as I do appreciate it.

I just play by feel and past experiences and do enjoy my 20-22 minute games.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby Harpo on Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:37 am

Ok, yea, I will admit it does take a little longer to play a round. Just played the first rd at Latrobe NW M/M and took me 32min 45 sec. Breezy takes a little longer but windy no matter what I use I will wait till the wind comes down to breezy. The extra 5 to maybe 8 mins (for NW) resulted in a -22, 50 round so worth it for me.

So I guess what goes on behind the screen is to one's own. But back to the main topic, if it is hard for me to see the step marks makes it harder for me to score.

I also enjoyed playing Elite, like Roy, when we had maybe 10 players that played. No grid lines, no aiming in the top cam and I did play a lot faster with less stress on having to birdie or eagle every hole in a round. I still think Forman plays elite in the handicap tourney but not sure.
Jim
Harpo

Postby JackRussellTerror on Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:23 pm

on average, about 40 minutes a round here Roy - including counting those steps.
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby JackRussellTerror on Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:24 pm

GoesForIt wrote:
MasterMontgomery wrote:.... Makes it
tough for step counters.

Doug

What are "step counters"??????

Linksters who count steps :lol:
JackRussellTerror

Postby JackRussellTerror on Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:31 pm

Bassmaster wrote:I just play by feel and past experiences and do enjoy my 20-22 minute games.

20 minute games Rick WOW ? hey slow down there !
as Walter Hagen once said, "stop and smell the roses" 8)

whatever floats yer boat.......
JackRussellTerror

PreviousNext

Return to Talk About It